Found a 15+ year old tarp in the shed. How long do Tarps last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I was clearing out the toolboxes in the shed, and found this old large tarp about 5m x 7m in camaflage colour. It is made of some type of cheap plastic material nothing special.

I remember buying it about 15 years ago, and used for one summer season. It must have been folded, and put away in the toolbox forgotten for 15+ years.

It still looks in good shape, but I was wondering how long tarps usually supposed to last. Would it be still usuable, or do tarpts go off like milks go off being too old, because tarps are known to go off by the UV lights and prone to be worn out quicker than other tools.

What are some of your oldest tarps still in use, and how old are they? I know canvass tarps can last 50+ years, but for cheap plastic tarps what would be expected life time?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the tarp.
If it was military grade then it'll have been UV stabilised. If it was intended for a lorry, or a boat, again, probably. If it was a cheapo thing just as a DIY cover up, it'll probably degrade pretty quickly after a couple of seasons weathering.

Only one way to find out :)

I have one I use in the greenhouse in summer that's now ten years old and it's still sound, but my neighbour bought one to cover up her leaking shed roof and it's shredded itself in less than a year.

Reactions: spader

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Cheap plastic tarps seem to degrade after a year or so for me, not sure if it's the UV that makes them brittle.
A cheap one has torn on me within a few weeks also.

Had a DD tarp for the best part of 14 years before I recently replaced it, and that was only because I had left it up lazily through the winter to cover some equipment and it's torn in one of the storms we had with high winds.

Reactions: spader and Toddy

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
have one I use in the greenhouse in summer that's now ten years old and it's still sound,

That's pretty good. It must have been made with good quality material.

I was wondering if plastic tarps degrade through time even not being put out in the sun, just being stored away and getting old.

But it seems all depends on what materials they are made of? I recall having bought my old plastic tarp from the local Screwfix branch for about a tenner.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the tarp.
If it was military grade then it'll have been UV stabilised. If it was intended for a lorry, or a boat, again, probably. If it was a cheapo thing just as a DIY cover up, it'll probably degrade pretty quickly after a couple of seasons weathering.

Only one way to find out :)
That's pretty good. It must have been made with good quality material.

I was wondering if plastic tarps degrade through time even not being put out in the sun, just being stored away and getting old.

But it seems all depends on what materials they are made of? I recall having bought my old plastic tarp from the local Screwfix branch for about a tenner.

That wee tarp came from Poundstretchers...it was literally a pound.
Next door paid £16 and hers is already dead.

Honestly, these days, unless you're buying from a company that will refund, etc., I think it's just your luck on stuff like this.
Pretty sure it's mostly all made in China one way or t'other.

I bought garden screening a couple of months ago from Temu. It's well made, it sound, looks good, no idea how long it'll last, but the same stuff is for sale here for three times the price.

Funny old world sometimes, and not terribly reliable :sigh:

Reactions: spader

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have two blue tarps that I thought were the same. One is wrecked and looks corroded - probably sunlight. The other is OK after four years.
I suspect that when you are selling world wide you don’t care about your reputation as much as would a local supplier.

Reactions: spader and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE