Tips for using Crusader Cooker /Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
The metal ones are a loose fit.
The real draw back with the plastic ones for me is that i use my crusader mostly on an open fire, boil time is not an issue really but the lid keeps debris from getting in my brew which is great.
The plastic lid wouldn't last long on an open fire.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've got the BCB plastic one too, I haven't had a chance to road test it yet, but mine suffers from the same problem as dgcalvert. Namely that it is such a tight fit the only way to get the lid off is to stick my finger in a small cut away which is on one side, I can imagine this would be a problem when it's boiled unless I wore gloves to remove it.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
One thing I found that helps- when using the Green Slime, squeeze the contents out of the sachet into the cooker, then crumple the wrapper into it as well to give extra heat and reduce waste. The best tip, however, is to place a foil heat inculater under the cooker as well to prevent the ground sapping heat from the cooker unit.I always do this with meths burners too.

The 58 mug fits nicely on Clickstand stoves too:

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

or use a clip of metal to use as a billy:

DSC00184.jpg

or straight on a fire:

DSC00031small.jpg

mini fire:

Putsomewateron.jpg

or just improvise:

DSC00039small.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well, I tried my crusader cooker and the BCB plastic lid at the Wilderness Gathering for the first time 'in anger' and was actually fairly happy with it (though I'm sure that one of the loose fitting metal lids would be better). Half a hexy block, with the lid in place, will boil a decent amount of water for a drink in a fairly short time and I'm getting used to 'pinging' the tight fitting lid off using a twig so that I don't get scalded by steam coming out of the opening in the lid.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE