Tiger vs Lion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup and is a guy who has the women do all the hunting while he sleeps under a tree going to be a match for a tiger?

And once he is past his prime?

I'm reminded of the dilemma posed when Columbus landed in the Americas. The native American Indians had their own social structures (different structures in different Indian nations). There was NO poverty, NO unemployment, NO taxes AND!!!! the women did all the work. The European colonists actually had the audacity to think they could improve a system that was already perfect!?

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
The female lionesses are a family hunting group but male lions are usually solitary except for a brief period of a couple of years when they are in their prime and dominate a pride. Lions are the only species of cat that has a social structure. ALL others are solitary.

Not true, Hyenas are of the Felidae group of animals, Feline, and their social structure is very strong. In fact more social then the Grey Wolf with a complex structure rivalling primate groups...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not true, Hyenas are of the Felidae group of animals, Feline, and their social structure is very strong. In fact more social then the Grey Wolf with a complex structure rivalling primate groups...

Hyenas are in the suborder feliformia which includes cats, hyenas, mongooses, civets, and related taxa. These are all seperate "families" within the suborder. Cats ARE a seperate family from hyenas just as mongooses are a seperate family from both, etc.

I love this. There was a time when we could have volleyed endlessly about subjects like this but now we can look it up even as we read each others posts.

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm reminded of the dilemma posed when Columbus landed in the Americas. The native American Indians had their own social structures (different structures in different Indian nations). There was NO poverty, NO unemployment, NO taxes AND!!!! the women did all the work. The European colonists actually had the audacity to think they could improve a system that was already perfect!?

The European colonists were not the only meddlers. The confucian Koreans were too. I'm reminded of a progarmme on the Haenyo women divers of Jeju - matrilineal society and the women did the work. Imagine diving 20 metres breath hold while pregnant.

I am weak and need to be looked after while I drink beer and watch TV

I think that is the natural order of things. I blame patriachal Semitic religions for the current state of affairs ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The European colonists were not the only meddlers. The confucian Koreans were too. I'm reminded of a progarmme on the Haenyo women divers of Jeju - matrilineal society and the women did the work. Imagine diving 20 metres breath hold while pregnant.

I am weak and need to be looked after while I drink beer and watch TV

I think that is the natural order of things. I blame patriachal Semitic religions for the current state of affairs ;)

I was originally being tongue in cheek but I'll partly agree with you; the Europeans definitely weren't the only meddlers. As far as blame though I think there's plenty to go around and really....as bad as we think the current state of affairs is; we are really worlds better off than the common peoples of most previous cultures.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hyenas are in the suborder feliformia which includes cats, hyenas, mongooses, civets, and related taxa. These are all seperate "families" within the suborder. Cats ARE a seperate family from hyenas just as mongooses are a seperate family from both, etc.

I love this. There was a time when we could have volleyed endlessly about subjects like this but now we can look it up even as we read each others posts.

Good post. I suppose it depends on where you draw the lines, We humans are always trying to fit nature into categories that don't really exist in the real world. I give you, for instance, the red panda. Bear, panda, or racoon? It isn't, its a red panda. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good post. I suppose it depends on where you draw the lines, We humans are always trying to fit nature into categories that don't really exist in the real world. I give you, for instance, the red panda. Bear, panda, or racoon? It isn't, its a red panda. :)

Thanks. And I quite agree we are only trying to make nature fit. It refuses to be contained.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE