Am I cruel thinking....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Quite amazing that the wild bear was shot for doing what it is designed to do, defend itself. I'm pretty sure if it had been left t run wild it would never have been a problem but caging it in a living room sized cage with potentially zero stimulus must have turned the poo beast slightly wobbly. It's a shame the bear is dead, but it is plus one for the human race losing a creature such as Ms Walz.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me neither Shewie, but I'd clicked on the link before I realised.
It's nothing vivid, just a report.

Shame about the bear .........definite Darwin award material wasn't Mrs W, though ?

HWMBLT came home from school one day with two gerbils for the boys. They were kept in an aquarium, and I felt heart sorry for them every day. If I could have released them safely I suspect I would have. When the male died eighteen months later, the female died the next day. Apparantly common in mated pairs.

Not even fond of keeping a cat confined to a flat. It just doesn't seem 'right' somehow, even though they seem to be contented enough and live healthy long lives.

Birds in cages and fish in bowls........I hate seeing those, even if they are beautiful to look at close up.

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If someone locked me in a 15' square cage for long enough, I'd probably try and kill them too. I might not be quite as successful as a 350lb black bear though...

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I watched a documentary on Discovery (I think) all about these people that keep dangerous animals. There was a statistic that shocked me. Apparently there are 8000 tigers kept as pets in private homes in the United States:eek: 8 flippin thousand! Are there that many in the wild?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Nope. For many species, tigers included, there are more individuals kept in private hands as pets than remain in the wild.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not even fond of keeping a cat confined to a flat. It just doesn't seem 'right' somehow, even though they seem to be contented enough and live healthy long lives.

This is my main reason for not having any pets. When people work all day long, pets sit in the house vegetating. They're not designed to do that.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
15ft by 15ft.
correct me if i'm wrong but that's not that much bigger then a jail cell!

honestly people who keep wild animals like this deserve everything they get!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I don't understand wanting to keep any animal in a cage personally. It doesn't make any difference if its a gerbil or a bear - its not for me

Red

I went, as a tourist, to see the pandas in a huge purpose built enclosure in a zoo in China.

From the coach on the way out we were able to see the tiny, bare, cramped little concrete boxes that the (unfashionable) big cats were kept in.

To say that it ruined the whole day would be an understatement.:(

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
8000! bloody hell, and if only a few of those owners decided they no longer wanted the animals and just dumped them back into the wild, then that would be a catastrophe.

I often wonder if the black cat reports are animals no longer wanted.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Funny this subject should crop up on the same day as this.

I worked for a while in the zoo and stopped walking past the bear pit because the sight of her sad gaze looking up was getting to me. The pit was a fair bit bigger than 15 ft square but she still looked cooped up.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland

I worked for a while in the zoo and stopped walking past the bear pit because the sight of her sad gaze looking up was getting to me. The pit was a fair bit bigger than 15 ft square but she still looked cooped up.

I read about that earlier too.
I really hope the new home is better, as a kid I used to stand and cry at the polar bear pit, I thought she'd have been happier in with the penguins :D

Could be 'interesting' if the Wildlife park has another breakout though!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

I've been to the zoo once, and seeing that big polar bear in what is a small enclosure was not nice, all it did was pace back and forth on one spot ( on top of the rock, if I recall right ) very sad thing to see.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I went to a theme park with school when I was about 10 and the state of the cat enclosure there made me vow never to visit a zoo or similar ever again, and I haven't.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
My grandfather is not far off 100 yrs old. He spent his whole life living near Edinburgh Zoo.

As a child he remembers going into the big cat house, where there were rows and rows of cages on top of each other, with lions, panthers, tigers and all sorts of other big cats stuck next to each other with not enough space to turn around properly. He was disturbed by this as a child and never had pets.

Fortunately things have moved on a great deal since then and Edinburgh Zoo in particular has an extensive 'enrichment' programme for all the animals.
The Polar bear enclosure is, I think, the last to be substatially improved since the 80s.

We have learnt a lot more about animals, people didn't used to think they were capable of any thought processes, that they were in effect machines, with no feelings, for people to use how they liked.
Some people still hold that view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE