Mammal tracks and signs - day out 29.03.2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I organised a day out for animal tracking. Starting off in a deer park to demonstrate tracks and sign in an easy environment then moving on to the woods with new found skills.

Burleigh House Stamford, Peterborough. Built by Sir William Cecil in the 16th Century. Fantastic inside and more impressive than Sandringham I thought. Filmed some Pride and Prejudice there and also some Da Vinci Code.

But that's the boring bit out of the way. We are here to see these boys!

Fallow Deer come in many colours and patterns. Some parks breed for specifics e.g. white or black.

There are more than 2 deer. Burleigh probably has one of the best deer parks in the country.

The Red Kite pair which live there are suitably impressive

Chilling

Moving onto the woods it was brew-a-clock

Mr Fox quickly provided a poo. Demonstrating a territorial turd.

Squirrel has been enjoying some beech mast

Deer have a bad name for this reason. Nipping out the tips of new shoots. In fact I think Forestry Commission are going to be culling a lot more in these woods at the recommendation of Natural England.

Fallen Birch with Dogs Murcury now coming up.

Hawthorn shoots were edible and tasty. Like apple peel.

Daldinia Concentrica - King Alfred's

Nice run. Pretty small and the overhanging bramble gives an indication of the height of the animal. Fox, Munjac sized maybe.

Who lives in a house like this?

Can you guess who it is yet?

Plenty of Fallow deer and Muntjac slots.

Turd on a twig

Probably weasel as they are here. It is much smaller than a fox.

Fallow Deer Slot

Fallow deer slot casting.

Wild Mint noms

Fox print

Badger cleared out the previous nights dinner

More Daldinia Concentrica

Horses Hoof

Dog or fox

Bear Grylls gets every where. I'll chase him out if I see him!

How did this track turn out?

Pretty good. Leave them to dry out for a few days then give them a good clean up.

Come join us next time http://www.meetup.com/Cambridgeshire-Bushcraft/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE