Thwarted by the Welsh wind!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Hi All,

Got the afternoon off, and decided that I was gonna finally crack this bow-drill thing.

I made a kit a while back, and managed lots of smoke, but no ember. I decided I needed a better hearth, so I split a lump of extra dry leylandii, made a tinder bundle (meanwhile, the dog stole my bow, obviously thinking "that's a nice stick - he wants to play". Having retrieved my stick (isn't the dog supposed to do that?) off I set to make fire. Mwaah ha ha...

Glory be... after a few minutes, there was a little, glowing ember sitting in the notch in my hearth! I was so chuffed! I gave it a few more rapid strokes, then set aside the bow and carefully picked up the bit of bark with my precious ember in it... only for the wind to gust, and I watched in horror as my lovely glowing coal disappeared across the garden.

Gutted? That's not even close.

Undaunted, I made another notch in the hearth and set to.

This time Mother Nature was having none of it - as the hot dust was dropping into the notch, I watched in despair as the wind blew it straight out again. I almost filled the notch three times, and each time the dust just blew away.

This time I was really miffed.

So... bow-drill amateurs - watch the wind, or find somewhere sheltered. :dunno:

I'm even more determined now, but I'll maybe wait until it's a bit less gusty than it is right now!! Or maybe I should just set up my bow drill kit in the kitchen and see what SWMBO thinks... :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
maybe I should just set up my bow drill kit in the kitchen and see what SWMBO thinks... :)

Guess I'm lucky there, SWMBO doesn't mind as long as I clean up afterwards. It's a fair trade really. I get home and fine horse tack bits in the bath (numbners and the like). It's all about give and take, that and being very good at cleaning up. I must admit the kitchen might even benefit from me working in there as it gets such a thorough clean down afterwards (use to work in catering, so quite high standards really).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE