Try Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Nice one, really satisfy to carve aren't they?
Massively.

Do you know of any video tutorials (or have you made any yourself) for the different notches?

Some I've been shown, like the pot-hanger, others are fairly straightforward like V and saddle.

But the 90° planes and the reduction I just did by feel, so I was wondering if there was a 'best technique'?

Of course part of the fun is the figuring out...

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Massively.

Do you know of any video tutorials (or have you made any yourself) for the different notches?

Some I've been shown, like the pot-hanger, others are fairly straightforward like V and saddle.

But the 90° planes and the reduction I just did by feel, so I was wondering if there was a 'best technique'?

Of course part of the fun is the figuring out...
I've not made any videos on Try Sticks, best one i think is the one with Mors thats on the Karamat YouTube channel, might be others out there, but i've not looked tbh, like you say, part of the fun is just figuring it out from the diagrams which is all i did.

Reactions: Foogs

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought i would knock up another Try Stick, i used my TBS Boar Mk2 EDC folder for this one.

One thing became apparent very quickly, the thicker blade on the Mk2 made things a little harder to achieve compared to the Mk1 Boar or TBS Wildcat that i used the other day, still did the job mind, but not as easily, a slightly bigger or fresh cut stick would have been easier too, but you have to use what you have and i do enjoy a challenge.

Onto the next project........

53318376670_9444f0ea8c_c.jpg

Reactions: Foogs and Broch

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Another great job. Interesting that you found the thicker blade more tricky to work.
My Bushlord is a whopping 5mm, but I found that really useful for finer push cuts with my thumb.

I have a Lars Falt slipjoint which I'll have to try for comparison. (I can imagine the hole-through-stick being a lot easier with a thinner blade)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In all the years ive been carving Try Sticks, it dawned on me that id never carved one with a Swiss Army Knife, so being bored and having a suitable Birch stick handy i rectified that omission.

It wasn't the easiest carve as i was focused on using grips that wouldn't allow or at the very least minimise the risk of the knife closing on my fingers.

All of the notches were carved using the large blade, the hole was made using the small blade as it was more controllable.

SAK is a Victorinox Hiker.

53438719587_75cac7929c_o.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Challenge accepted :)

It took a couple of attempts, but here's the smallest so far in a bamboo BBQ skewer, carved with the small blade on my SAK Hiker, i didn't even attempt to carve the hole through a stick;
Nice one Mark goodjob

How was it carving it in bamboo?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Your carving skills are insane Kepis! How long have you been carving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, been carving/whittling since i was a kid when i got my first pocket knife, just pointed sticks etc back then, so a good few years now, but really got into it in a big way i suppose 20-25 years ago as a stress reliever and a boredom buster in hotels when i used to travel a lot for work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE