Three days on Loch Sween

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just a couple of teasers, I think we were lucky with the weather. :D

Andy - You'd have hated every minute mate :rolleyes:

I need to mess about with them on photoshop but you get the idea.

test1.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

I'll put some more info up tomorrow, I need my bed.

Gailainne

Life Member
Great little trip, Saturday's weather was brilliant, Sunday it was a bit blowey :eek:

A "few" of my pics

Early Saturday morning, this was at the top end, beside the Fairy Isles
IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

We packed up and went looking for a better camp site, looking back down Loch Sween, from the water
IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

From the shore at our new camp site
IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

My new craft, not so pristine now, just out of the bubble wrap on Friday :D
IMG_1843.jpg

The weather was looking ominous out towards Jura and Islay
IMG_1850.jpg

Luckily it came to nothing, but gave us a fantastic evening sky
IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

My hammock set up
IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

It was quite cold both nights, any standing water froze, and my wet gloves froze solid.
IMG_1898.jpg

I’ll post up some more tonight if I get a minute.

Cheers

Stephen

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
:red::red::red: bu~~er bu~~er bu~~er Not a happy bunny here. Im glad you guys had a great trip it looks awsome. I am still coughing and wheezing like an old man!! Pictures look lovely. You do realise we need to do this one again as I still have 4 days away in the bank now!!!

Stephen how did she paddle ? Was that the only colour they had:rolleyes: . Nah really she looks a nice boat mate as does that sailing canoe.

Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

Rich I am reminding you about Photoshop!!! lol

Thanks for posting chaps.

Andy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
...someone out on their maiden voyage too?? :naughty:
Much merriment was had bumping into the shiny boat at any opportunity. :D

Shewies swamp... (as swamps go it was very nice.:))

LS_NOV_01.jpg

...with a lovely little landing area of ankle deep mud(to get you in the mood)

LS_NOV_02.jpg

The next nights camp was on the edge of where the FC were just done clearing....

LS_NOV_03.jpg

....and had a view you just couldn't get enough of.

LS_NOV_04.jpg

Gailainne off for an evening paddle while I had a go at some fishing. Only bite I got slipped off just as it came up into sight.

LS_NOV_05.jpg

LS_NOV_06.jpg

Had to move fishing spots as the first couple of casts I was catching some kind of eggs.

LS_NOV_07.jpg

LS_NOV_08.jpg

Shame the beavers were keeping a low profile but the walk along coille-bharr was nice anyway. Next time. :)

Great weekend, cheers guys!
Josh

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
thanks for the invite to this guys it looks like a good weekend. I'd have just slowed you down though, I'd have had to carry me bike round the loch! :rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Plenty of forestry tracks and the path round the north of coille-bhar is marked down as a cycle track. We only walked a couple of hundred metres of it but it was looking the part. The south side would be a handful.
...and we could have hauled your gear out if you'd fancied riding light.

Next time. :)

Gailainne

Life Member
thanks for the invite to this guys it looks like a good weekend. I'd have just slowed you down though, I'd have had to carry me bike round the loch! :rolleyes:

Actually, no you wouldn't have, where we ended up both nights there were bike trails right beside us, you would have probably been able to scope them out before we even got there, next time mate :D

Cheers

Stephen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip guys, I'm glad we stuck to the original plan.

Some more pics from me ....

Getting loaded at the put-in at Tayvallich
Sween3.jpg

Sween4.jpg

"Does my bum look big in this ? " :naughty:
Sween5.jpg

And we're off
Sween6.jpg

Sween7.jpg

No pics of "The Swamp" and night one for me, my camera doesn't do damp

So Saturday morning we were up to blue skys and sunshine and decided to have a mooch around the loch for a better campsite. As we left the Faery Isles I shot over to the east side of the loch for a look around, whilst Josh had a play with his wee sailing canoe and Stephen got to grips with his new boat.
Sween9.jpg

Sween8.jpg

We had a bit of a leg stretch at Craiglin and contemplated (well I did) bivvying on the lawn to a very posh house.
DSC01450.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

We then spotted a promising site back across on the other side so we shot over there for a look see.

This'll do nicely
Sween2.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

Spent a very enjoyable Saturday evening sat round the fire putting the world to rights and quaffing a fine single malt.
Sween10.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

Sunday we got up and took a short stroll to see if we could see any beavers at the neighbouring loch, I think they must have all gone to church because we didn't spot anything between the three of us.
DSC01471.jpg

So it was back to camp and time to pack up before the weather took a turn. I never like Sundays when it's time to pack up and the sun's out.
DSC01474.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

Sween12.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

The 2.5 mile paddle back to the cars was a bit of a rollercoaster, mostly a tail wind pushing us hard but then there were the open bits where I had to hunker down and paddle hard.

My fave pic of the weekend ..
DSC01461.jpg

Great trip guys, can't wait for the next one.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Much merriment was had bumping into the shiny boat at any opportunity. :D

Evil.... like it! :D

Nice one guys, some ace pics too! Looks like you did well on the weather, wasn't that nice down here at the weekend!

Cheers,

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Evil.... like it! :D

Nice one guys, some ace pics too! Looks like you did well on the weather, wasn't that nice down here at the weekend!

Cheers,

Alan

I left a nice 18" green stripe down his hull when we nudged whilst swapping paddle :naughty:

A few more and it'll soon look the right colour :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE