Pre-Charge Pneumatic air rifle Stirrup Pumps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
I know we've talked about recharging PCPs before, but I have a more specific question.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get my tank (gun mounted) recharged - neither of the two gun shops within sensible distance of me hold air any more. So, it's either diver's air tank, 300bar compressor, or a stirrup pump.

I only use the gun for squirrel control (and, of course, the odd sighting-in session). So I have difficulty justifying £200 mark to get the job done. I have two perfectly fine springers so it's not just the financial manager I need to convince :)

Anyway, looking at stirrup pumps; It appears I can get a three stage pump for £35 to £190. Has anyone tried any of the lower cost ones? do they work? To put this in perspective, I doubt I'll be recharging the gun more than once a month at the very most so I don't need something that can be used every day for the next ten years! On top of that, with a bit of planning, I could take a few days to recharge the gun - so a few twenty minute sessions.

Any thoughts welcome - but in particular, thoughts from anyone that has tried one of the lower cost pumps.

Typical example:

I'm glad to have got rid of the pump I had, last year. Memories: mainly one, take it apart regularly to dry the chamber out as it fills with water. Don't know if it is likely to start rusting the barrel if left wet. I think you have to get the 'body motion' right when charging: on compression stroke, keep arms as straight as pos using upper body weight to assist the hard work.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, preliminary results are in :)

The pump arrived simply packaged, plain cardboard box, no fancy graphics or photos, simple label with the Chinese manufacturers contact details.

pump 1 - TG596518.jpg

It is robust and feels heavy. It looks well made. I didn't strip the valve; I though I would check if it held pressure as delivered first. But I did check for any debris or dirt that could get into the rifle. There was none. The cylinder is also clean and unmarked.

pump 2 - TG596520.jpg

pump 3 - TG596522.jpg

pump 4 - TG596523.jpg

Building consisted of simply screwing the handle on, attaching the pressure gauge, and attaching the hose. I checked there was a filter fitted as well. It's delivered with spare filters, spare O rings and seals, a spanner (cheap but serviceable), a small bottle of oil (but a warning not to use it at first as the pump is already oiled) and a quick connect to threaded adaptor. The hose has a quick connect on it that matches my gun probe.

Pump 5 .jpg

Then, of course, came the important test. It took 150 pumps to reach 200bar from zero. I'll put the extra 30bar in tomorrow :). I found, keeping my arms and back straight and using my legs in a kind of sitting motion was a) the least painful, and b) the most effective.

So, it works, it's well made, it looks like it will do the job I require.

However, the air inlet is at the top of the cylinder just under the handle. There is no way I could attach my workshop airline to provide initially dried air at a small pressure advantage. The other concern is that I am not convinced by the small in line filter and moisture trap and I will probably change that. I have units in my 'store' that I need to check for pressure rating.

If anything changes over the next few months (i.e. something breaks or it fails in any way) I'll update the thread :)

Edit: The instruction leaflet that came with it is next to useless. The manufacturers really should get a fluent English speaker to produce them as it does taint their image unnecessarily.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE