Three days in the Cairngorms

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Glad you liked the piccies mate

The lodge sits in a huge private estate as far as I know, I presume they don't want any residents other than those in the big house further down the valley. I think that building will have been a hunting lodge for the landed gentry back in the 19th century.

I'll PM you a link for the house rather than put it up here, it's a fairly common area but I don't want guest users on here to go trashing the place

Many thanks for the PM with the link. I cannot imagine anyone stooping so low as trashing such a beautiful old building. I say cut off their food supply so they have more constructive things to do with their time....

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Many thanks for the PM with the link. I cannot imagine anyone stooping so low as trashing such a beautiful old building. I say cut off their food supply so they have more constructive things to do with their time....

Sadly I think Rich is right, the Bothy (hut) in the picture was only re-built recently after being burnt down. You can still see the damage to the trees in the photo's, I don't think it was malicious but it happened all the same. Quite a few estates in the Highlands lock all their shelters now for fear of vandalism and creating a venue for drug fueled parties.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Aye, Bob Scott's Bothy has been rebuilt a few times. The last was after a couple of guys lit the open fire and went to get more fire wood. The floor would have been soaked with meths, petrol etc from years of spillage and Woof! All that was left was the chimney. A group of friends named " Friends of Bob Scotts" worked hard to raise funds and work with the NTS and the estate to rebuild it (with a stove instead of an open fire).

There is a wee folder inside with pics of the shell post fire and the rebuild.

As for the lodge, it's already a rotten shell and you can't get near it for human excrement unfortunately ( shame given there is a toilet at the bothy! )

Great pics and thanks for sharing

Ps- plug for the group: anyone familiar with the Bothy- I am selling Friends of Bob Scott's Tee-shirts- ALL proceeds to the group for both maintenance. PM for details.

Reason for editing: trying to type post on an iPhone whilst feeding a baby is tricky!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
One word .............Jealous!
thanks for sharing your great pictures of what looked like a cracking trip.

P.S. Did the missing camera turn up?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One word .............Jealous!
thanks for sharing your great pictures of what looked like a cracking trip.

P.S. Did the missing camera turn up?

Cheers Stu

Yeah Pete hid his pack under a dead tree and back tracked to where we started from, a couple of miles from the start he spotted it where we'd stopped to take a layer off. He's still up there so I hope he's got some more piccies

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Rich, that is my favourite area in the world. It was also the last trek my best friend and I took and where his ashes are now (just behind the Victorian Lodge).

Looks like you had a great time. I must do something similar soon. Thanks for the great pics.

We're doing a big get together there of his friends next summer to do the only Munro he didn't, I must see if more folk are about then.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, that is my favourite area in the world. It was also the last trek my best friend and I took and where his ashes are now.

Looks like you had a great time. I must do something similar soon. Thanks for the great pics.

I think it's right up there for me too mate, I need to re-visit as soon as poss

Sorry about your friend but he's resting in a very special place

I'll be up for another visit if you fancy it one day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE