Three days in the Cairngorms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's not happened yet but it kicks off at 04:30 in the morning

Lots of piccies of hammocking bliss to follow .....

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hope you have a good time Rich, the weather up here has been dry and unusually warm, stunning night sky's so enjoy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What a stunning weekend !

My camera was still on macro setting for the first day until I grew a brain and realised, lots of iffy piccies and a camera that's on it's last trip.

Titlepage.jpg

Heading up the first glen in the last of the weekends drizzle, Teepee was along for this one
DSC03274P.jpg

DSC03275P.jpg

DSC03276P.jpg

We found a nice looking camp site in no time and got set up, we spent the rest of the evening catching up and generally relaxing. I was knackered after an early start, 349 mile drive and didn't see much past 10pm. Some piccies around camp 1 ..

Warbonnet Superfly and Teepee DIY
DSC03281P.jpg

DSC03282P.jpg

Clean water only a few yards away
DSC03284P.jpg

DSC03286P.jpg

My Superfly tarp and Blackbird hammock, Unsponsored 3/4 underblanket and Pipedream 400 as a quilt
DSC03289P.jpg

DSC03301P.jpg

Pete's brew kit on the right, my one pot solution on the left :)
DSC03302P.jpg

This was our soundtrack for the night
DSC03307P.jpg

Packing up around mid morning we set off up the glen to explore the hills, looking back to camp ..
DSC03308P.jpg

DSC03317P.jpg

DSC03310P.jpg

A well deserved break, we must have done at least half a mile:)
DSC03311P.jpg

Stunning vistas
DSC03318P-1.jpg

DSC03320P.jpg

DSC03322P.jpg

DSC03323P.jpg

Up the hill and into a mini Lairig Ghru
DSC03328P.jpg

DSC03331P.jpg

Back down the other side and a glimpse of the next glen
DSC03335P.jpg

DSC03338P.jpg

We're heading this way
DSC03339P.jpg

Bypassing the likely spot for the cold weather hang this winter
DSC03345P.jpg

DSC03347P.jpg

Disused victorian lodge
DSC03356P.jpg

We mooched through the woods for a while, passing a tent we pushed on further up, another hammock nirvana
DSC03370P.jpg

DSC03373P.jpg

DSC03374P.jpg

DSC03375P.jpg

Another night was spent huddled round various stoves consuming food and a fine malt, the next morning blessed us with a sunrise to remember
DSC03378P.jpg

DSC03382P.jpg

DSC03383P.jpg

DSC03385P.jpg

DSC03386P.jpg

DSC03387P.jpg

All too soon it was time to pack up
DSC03394P.jpg

DSC03401P.jpg

DSC03406P.jpg

DSC03407P.jpg

A better look at Pete's mothership
DSC03410P.jpg

DSC03411P.jpg

Time to make tracks again, looking back to camp
DSC03420P.jpg

DSC03427P.jpg

DSC03435P.jpg

DSC03438P.jpg

DSC03440P.jpg

DSC03443P.jpg

DSC03448P.jpg

DSC03449P.jpg

A rest in the sun
DSC03451P.jpg

At this point Pete announced he couldn't find his camera, out came the contents of his pack but it wasn't there. I had to be home at a decent hour or she'd go mental, with 7.5hrs of driving ahead we decided to split, Pete stashed his pack under a dead tree and I headed off for the car.

The trail back down the glen
DSC03452P.jpg

DSC03453P.jpg

The last couple of miles were on tarmac and my feet were shot, I managed to make it back though, I brewed up, changed my feet and sat down for five in the car. By the time I'd loaded my car and sorted my head out, I'd driven up the road to meet Pete coming the other way. He jumped in and we headed for his van for caramel coffees and butter wafers, om nom nom.

Gear List:

• ULA CDT pack
  • Warbonnet Superfly
  • Warbonnet 1.1SL Blackbird (& 9ft tree straps for those big pines)
  • Unsponsored 3/4 underblanket
  • Alpkit Pipedream 400 sleeping bag
  • Ripstop Weather shield
  • Thermarest sit mat/foot insulation
  • Terra Nova ti 900ml pot
  • Mini Bull Design Mini Atomic stove
  • Bushbuddy Ultra
  • 8oz meths
  • Kenco 3-in-1 sachets x10
  • Cherry Koolaid
  • FAK
  • Wash kit
  • Poop pack
  • Dehydrated meals x4 breakies x2
  • Petzl e+lite
  • Meraklon wrist warmers (brilliant, get some!)
  • Berghaus Powerstretch gloves
  • Army wool headover
  • Trek Mates Polartec beanie
  • Outdoor Research Ninjaclava
  • Outdoor Research Transcendent down hoody
  • Outdoor Research goretex gaiters
  • Berghaus Paclite rain pants
  • OMM Kamlieka Race smock
  • Paramo Velez Adventure
  • Gsi hip flask containing Jura
  • Neck knife
  • Pacer Poles

I think that's it but I'll add more if I remember

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Great pics Rich , lovely views of glen and the lodge , i love the gorms used to walk them all the time .
not been up there for a wee while noo mate , you can totally disappear in these amazing glens mate ...
is that the first time you a walked the gorms ... you should try the tops , and some great ice climbs when it gets a lot colder , cheers for sharing mate

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
There's a cracking wee bunkhouse in Braemar straight across from the fife arms hotel ,, great nite in there then stagger across the road ti yer bed , then up nice and early wi a massive hangover for a big climb , yi cannie beat it , it's a great hangover cure

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's a cracking wee bunkhouse in Braemar straight across from the fife arms hotel ,, great nite in there then stagger across the road ti yer bed , then up nice and early wi a massive hangover for a big climb , yi cannie beat it , it's a great hangover cure

I've come down plenty of hills with a hangover, I've never tried it the other way though, it could take me a while to get up

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
That's a gorgeous area Shewie, fantastic pics. Who would own that Victorian lodge? And would it be possible to buy such a place if someone was interested? I'm just curious as to why such a lovely building is unoccupied.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a gorgeous area Shewie, fantastic pics. Who would own that Victorian lodge? And would it be possible to buy such a place if someone was interested? I'm just curious as to why such a lovely building is unoccupied.

Glad you liked the piccies mate

The lodge sits in a huge private estate as far as I know, I presume they don't want any residents other than those in the big house further down the valley. I think that building will have been a hunting lodge for the landed gentry back in the 19th century.

I'll PM you a link for the house rather than put it up here, it's a fairly common area but I don't want guest users on here to go trashing the place

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Ooh not good, not sure what to say

Which browser are you using?

windows internet explorer ?? will open a couple at random but have to out of the post then back in to open a few more !!! But some won,t open at all ???

looks like a great place anyway -from what i can see !! :rofl:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
windows internet explorer ?? will open a couple at random but have to out of the post then back in to open a few more !!! But some won,t open at all ???

looks like a great place anyway -from what i can see !! :rofl:

Lol, try clearing your cache, cookies & history

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE