This one's special!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Ogri the trog said:
Schwert,
If I can interject. The British military folding knives have always lacked a bit of....finess, shall we say. They don't believe in delicately cutting the top of a can open, more a sort of semi-controlled "bludgeon some steel out of the way until the user can get to the contents".
It's a very rugged can and bottle opener in one, that can also be modified as an aircraftmans skin knife (a kind of micro chisel/plane used to cut sheet aluminum alloy) or a host of other "user designed" instruments.

Very nice Hoodoo

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hahahaha, fantastic description. :)

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I use to have one of these. Mine had a steel handle. I didn't know the spike was a Marlin spike; I always called it a "Pig Stabber". My dad gave it to me and it was originally my grandad's. It was stolen from me when I was perhaps not paying as much attention to its whereabaouts as I should have been. I was gutted when it got nicked (I still am), such a shame.

Pappa

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have one of these knives,

not that rare then I take it.. more of a user than a collectors piece?

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I'm sure you can still get them new, or at least something similar...
Can't remember where, but the link was posted on this forum to a place that sold them, plus a bunch of other knives and outdoor gear.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'm pleased it arrived OK,
The one I sent you is 55 years old but has never been used.It still has the original military grease around the joint of the can opener blade! They're as ugly as ugly gets but are very bullet proof.(they can survive squaddies).They also take and hold an edge very well.

It tickles me that I had a knife that Hoodoo didn't :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MARK II

Jul 31, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
I have got one of these I got it from my local surplus store for £4.99 dated 1950 and full of grease,but with a good clean up and sharpen it has done me well.
you can buy them new but it will cost you £20,so I stick with the old ones.

Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
bushwacker bob said:
I'm pleased it arrived OK,
The one I sent you is 55 years old but has never been used.It still has the original military grease around the joint of the can opener blade! They're as ugly as ugly gets but are very bullet proof.(they can survive squaddies).They also take and hold an edge very well.

It tickles me that I had a knife that Hoodoo didn't :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:D

Well, it's a super addition to my collection and much appreciated. Makes me want to do some rope splicing. Used to have a lot of fun at that back in my Navy days. Had lots of deck jockeys show me how. :)

The only complaint I have Bob is that my birth date is 1951. You missed it by a year. :D ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
spamel said:
Same age as my dad who was also in the Navy. Dad, is that you?!!!

I dunno. I visitied a lot of ports back in my navy days. Was your mom ever in Hoboken?
naughty.gif

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Hoodoo, on the reverse side of the one you have pictured, has the handle appeared to have shrunk? I have two of these dated to 1954 - on one the handle has shrunk on both sides, and the other on one side. Not sure why, as they appear to have been in storage for 54 years, and are still smothered in grease...

BOD

Schwert said:
That one is special two ways...as a gift and as a neat example of a boat knife. Not sure I have ever seen an opener blade like that one.

How does the can opener function, ...?

The design is such that it can also function as a opener for tight shackle pins as well as open cans/tins. The flattened head of the pin fits into the slot .

Will post another design soon to illustrate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE