this is a stove i made with spit etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
heres a belt buckle i made out of brass and a leather belt.the little copper container i made, as lighter fuel in and a fero rod stuck to the side of it,screw the lid off and it as a striker attached with a wick.
CIMG0037.jpg
[/IMG]the other tube type container as matches coated in light wax,ideal for emergencies
CIMG0040.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG0039.jpg
[/IMG]

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
hi demographic.......do you mean the flue on the scorpion stove??if so then it gives me more room on the cooking plate area,and experimenting with many flue designs i think for a small stove it as a very very good draw for the flame this shape(see photo)i have experimented with a double barrel flue on another stove i built for a friend(photo to come) which works great also.
CIMG2768.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
hi demographic.......do you mean the flue on the scorpion stove??if so then it gives me more room on the cooking plate area,and experimenting with many flue designs i think for a small stove it as a very very good draw for the flame this shape(see photo)i have experimented with a double barrel flue on another stove i built for a friend(photo to come) which works great also.
CIMG2768.jpg
[/IMG]

Ahh, fair enough. Must admit that I really like the spit idea on your stove. Nice one.

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
SP_A0144.jpg
[/IMG]this is the double barrel stove i build for my mate it as two sections of box section steelwelded together fror a flue(he,s a bit of a pikey looking at his brass bits)
SP_A0145.jpg
[/IMG]

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
this is how i go sometimes just grab one of the dogs and go hammock up or sometimes just a tarp and bag.(when i can get in my sleepsak for the dog.
CIMG0889.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG0836.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG0885.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
hi,woodstock the wood gas stove is a great little stove for fast boiling or cooking and with very small amounts of wood,a small handful of wood will burn for quite a while but regulating the heat output is very hard if not impossible as the flame needs the air intake to produce its gas,so if you try to regulate it it dosent work right.what i use it for mostly is boiling water.you just stand a handful of sticks down the centre and then a bit of kindling on top and light it from the top.the flame is then sucked down between the two shells(outer bottle and inner tube)it then rises up and out through the holes at the top of the inner tube and burns as gas.hope this helps you?????
CIMG2689.jpg
[/IMG]

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Great post guys , I'd like to have a go at making one buuuuut how do I make a 20kg gas bottle safe to cut ?

workingdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
northwest uk
hi,bluebs4.make sure theres someone there to ring an ambulance,HaHa.no,,,,joking aside its realy quite safe if you follow this(i take no responsibility)unscrew the brass fitting on top of the bottle and remove(i find this works better when the bottle is empty Ha HA HA,no..............put it upside down in a vice if you have one,then stand it outside somewhere and fill it up with the hose pipe right up to the top,(i normally leave it now for a couple of days but dont know why it just me.empty the water out fill it again this time just abit then grind away(i only fill it again to stop it moving while i cut it)the smell of gas what you now smell is only the odour that the gas company put in the gas (because gas without it does not smell)they put it in so you can tell when there is a gas leak.you could get a couple of little orange flashes when grinding from gas that as soaked into the steel canister,how i combat this is i have a fire in the gas bottle as soon as i have cut off the top.hope this helps you out and look forward to seeing your stove,anything else you want to know just ask,
(NOTE THIS IS ONLY ADVICE AND THE WAY I DO IT PLEASE TAKE CARE)

Last edited:

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Fantastic work mate , your place must be a bit like Fred Dibnahs , full of gadgets and objects of interest found,made ,modded . Excellent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE