Things money cannot buy.........................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I am not more deserving no, but presumably you think those without money are less deserving, or less hardworking?
You said very plainly that someone in the top 1% of earners does not deserve the prize.

You then pointed out that they are likely to be white, male and independently-educated.

Perhaps you could explain why you think someone in the top 1% of earners does not deserve to win a weekend with Ray Mears (or why someone earning less does).

I also can't see any relevance to a person's gender, race or educational background in this discussion... why did you mention it??]

Why would an asian, female comprehensive-educated person be "more deserving"??

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
OK peep's, i started this thread with the emphasis on the fact that you can go on a trip to Canada with ray Mears and NOT to start a mud slinging session about the rights and wrongs of charitable giving and contemporary class culture.

There seem's to have been a lot of ban's and thread deletions just recently so can we just settle down and be a little jealous that someone, somewhere is going to go on this trip?

Better yet, why don't we club together and put a bid in under 'BCUK' then we can raffle the trip off on the forum? Then one of us may get the lucky ticket?

I'm not coming over all 'Moderator' but please people, can we see where this is going and agree to disagree. There is no point in escalating this so come on.:grouphug: :D

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Fair enough, final post from me in this thread (promise!).

I just think whoever wins it will mean plenty of money going to a good cause, which can only be a good thing. We're not all going to be in a position to win, but that's life... it would be sad if that prevented Ray from donating his time to generate money for charity.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You said very plainly that someone in the top 1% of earners does not deserve the prize.

You then pointed out that they are likely to be white, male and independently-educated.

I have said this nowhere. I have stated only a fairer way to include people who may be more deserving but do not have the money.

Perhaps you could explain why you think someone in the top 1% of earners does not deserve to win a weekend with Ray Mears (or why someone earning less does).
what kind of example does it set to those they are trying to help?

I also can't see any relevance to a person's gender, race or educational background in this discussion... why did you mention it??]
Its very relavent because it generally exludes people of the wrong race gender and educational background. I will provide you with lots of links and statistics if you like

Why would an asian, female comprehensive-educated person be "more deserving"??

again , I never said more deserving, you are twisting my words. I said it excludes people who may be more deserving which very different. Deserving to me means somebody passionately trying to learn and better themselves, who may otherwise never be able to afford to go on a course or be educated professionally in the area.
At the end of the day the charity is trying to help children in need
Why are you more "deserving" than a chap who made the most of his good start in life and made his fortune by working 7 days a week for the last 30 yrs?

the Irony here is that the money is being raised FOR those who are in poverty or some other form of need. Throwing money at these people does not help them, only changing how society supports and aids these people does. if we lived in a meritocracy like you seem to be assuming, we would have less need of these charities in the first place. And yet you are quite sure that one can work themselves out of poverty regardless of gender race and education. Im sure we can find plenty of examples of poor people made good with or without support, but this generally is not the case. the top 1% have 98% of the wealth. YOu want to change this? dont throw money at a charity. go work for them.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Fair enough, final post from me in this thread (promise!).

I just think whoever wins it will mean plenty of money going to a good cause, which can only be a good thing. We're not all going to be in a position to win, but that's life... it would be sad if that prevented Ray from donating his time to generate money for charity.

Well said matey, no offence intended (to any party) and yes, someone is going to have a great time.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ok I wont post again on the subject,and I apologise jedadiah, I feel I have been unnessisarily goaded and insulted over what was initially a very benein comment. I wish to have made my opinions clear because Im not going to stand around and watch my words twisted, be called a `class warrior` and insinuated I have a natural prejudice agaisnt any individual based merely on gender, race or social class.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Ok I wont post again on the subject,and I apologise jedadiah, I feel I have been unnessisarily goaded and insulted over what was initially a very benein comment. I wish to have made my opinions clear because Im not going to stand around and watch my words twisted, be called a `class warrior` and insinuated I have a natural prejudice agaisnt any individual based merely on gender, race or social class. Infact I may complain.

Hey, no apologies needed, just did'nt want anyone to wind up in the doghouse!:D

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
just a thought but in a society where people can roll out vast sums of money for short-time pleasure the real shame i think is that it is necessary at all for children in need to rely on charity to better their lives, the government is failing it's duty in care.

How does the goverment have a duty of care to peoples children? The children have parents and surely the duty of care lies with them??? Where the parents can not be bothered to exercise that duty of care then it should lie with the extended family. Only when all that has failed does the goverment and related charities come into the picture, Children in Need among them. Also I may be mistaken but I think Children in Need is an international charity and does work all over the world.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i feel its mandatory to mention Bear Grylls at this point...

Children in Need should have a similar event where the highest bidder gets to stay at home instead of going with him on another 'born survivor' shoot?

i thang-you, its the way i tell'em etc etc etc
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE