Things money cannot buy.........................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Listening to the great Wogan this morning on the way into Uni and he mentioned that, with Children In Need happening soon, he is starting the 'Thing's Money Cannot Buy' auctions next week. The premise is that trips and activities with famous people have been donated by the great and the good to be auctioned off with the proceeds going to Children In Need.

Anyway, amongst the list he rattled off was a trip to Canada with Ray Mears! Hmm, maybe i'll be spending my bursary sooner than i thought!:rolleyes:

I'll have to find out when this auction is but they are usually on his breakfast show, anyone get's a head's up, i'd appreciate a bit of notice as i'm sure others would as well.

Just thought i'd share..................................

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What, you mean Mr Mears is a `Great and Good`??

He doesnt even come to our Bushmoot!

(Now if this was Mors...)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I remember a trip with Ray Mears went for around £50,000 on the last auction so don't get your purses out yet :(

Unless you have that floating round...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
What, you mean Mr Mears is a `Great and Good`??

He doesnt even come to our Bushmoot!

(Now if this was Mors...)

Many people donate their time and money to support good causes. Be it purely altruistic or self promoting, i feel it's comes under the 'good' umbrella.

If money can't buy them, why is he auctioning them off?

I think it's the fact that they are one off, special events that are set up purely to raise money for a charity that means 'money cannot buy'. What does rankle a little bit is that only the well-heeled can ever afford to bid for them! As they say in France, 'That's Life'.:rolleyes:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Your spot on Jedadiah, "things that money can't buy" rubbish. Only those with money can buy it, none of us mere mortals could ever compete with the crazy sums involved. But of course it does raise phenomenal amounts for the kids so at least the most deserving do win out in the end.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Nods>

Most people I know who have got that sort of dosh spend it a bit more sensibly.

(They often do a lot for Charity too)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
not only that but it means the poorer folk cannot contribute to this charity cause. Had it been done as a raffle, we could all have bought a chance and probably raised alot more than what it will go for.

perhaps we should write a letter to Ray and sign it?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
"Poorer folk canot contribute to this charity cause"?

They can - they can put anything from one penny in a collecting tin. Or better yet organise a fundraising event of their own.

What you mean I suspect is "cannot hope to benefit from this charitable cause"

Well, I for one applaud Mr Mears for offering up his time to a cause he thinks is worth something. I also hope what he is offering goes for far more than my purse will stand!

Red

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse

They can - they can put anything from one penny in a collecting tin. Or better yet organise a fundraising event of their own.

Well, I for one applaud Mr Mears for offering up his time to a cause he thinks is worth something. I also hope what he is offering goes for far more than my purse will stand!

Red

See you right there BR, every little helps. I understand that the subject of donating to charity has a polarising effect on conversations; lot's of differing opinions and strong feelings, but yes, Mr Mears and others contributions will not only allow more money to be pledged for worthy causes but also raise awareness.

Just suggested to the Mrs that, as 'The Specials' don't look like they will be touring, maybe this would be a nice 40th birthday present for someone special in her life!:rolleyes::D

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Terry Wogan mentioned this on Radio 2 this morning.

His view is that whatever gets most cash for the charities involved is the important thing, and there's plenty of other ways to contribute.

If I were able to get some rich lad to chuck £50,000 into a charity collection tin in return for sitting in the woods with me for a couple of days, I'd be happy to help out.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk

Red

Er no, I cannot contribute to this paticular charitable event because the winning bidder and nobody else pays the money. And don't insult me about what you think my intentions are, I work for a charity , its my day job, and Im paid peanuts. I do it because I care thank you.
I applaud Ray for offering his time, Im just saying there is better ways to construct these events that make it fairer to those of us who work everyday (for a charity no less) but will never hope to ever win an auction like this because itll most likely go to the a person not most deserving but in the top 1 % of the paybracket, which, given the broad statitistical evidence for this social strata will be male, white and an ex public schoolboy.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
itll most likely go to the a person not most deserving but in the top 1 &#37; of the paybracket, which, given the broad statitistical evidence for this social strata will be male, white and an ex public schoolboy.

Hmmm... a male, white, ex-public schoolboy?

Or Raymond Paul Mears, as he's also known. ;)

Why are you bothered? I'm suprised a class-warrior like you would want to spend time in the company of such a blatant representative of the oppressive patriarchal ruling class as Mr Mears. After all, being white and/or male and/or educated is an unforgivable crime.

Did you know that Ray's favourite method of making fire-by-friction is rubbing a crying orphan against the grizzled cheek of a Durham collier. Trufax.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Hmmm... a male, white, ex-public schoolboy?

Or Raymond Paul Mears, as he's also known. ;)

Why are you bothered? I'm suprised a class-warrior like you would want to spend time in the company of such a blatant representative of the oppressive patriarchal ruling class as Mr Mears. After all, being white and/or male and/or educated is an unforgivable crime.

Did you know that Ray's favourite method of making fire-by-friction is rubbing a crying orphan against the grizzled cheek of a Durham collier. Trufax.

I am not being prejudice, I was stating a fact - that an auction which runs into thousands is a game only for people with a lot of wealth, and this generally tends to be a social strata as well. I have a right to be aware of this and to take issue with it.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I am not being prejudice, I was stating a fact - that an auction which runs into thousands is a game only for people with a lot of wealth, and this generally tends to be a social strata as well. I have a right to be aware of this and to take issue with it.
Why are you more "deserving" than a chap who made the most of his good start in life and made his fortune by working 7 days a week for the last 30 yrs?

You're not responsible for your gender, nor your race, nor (generally) where your parents send you to school!

If it raises money for good causes that's the only thing that matters - the people being helped by the money raised would rather have £50k from someone rich as opposed to £500 from someone more "deserving" (whatever that means!!).

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Wallenstein, can you tell me what a class warrior is and how it is you think you already know my opinions on "the patriarchal ruling class" Perhaps we once discussed it and Ive forgot? Or are you just presuming to know my opinions?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Why are you more "deserving" than a chap who made the most of his good start in life and made his fortune by working 7 days a week for the last 30 yrs?

You're not responsible for your gender, nor your race, nor (generally) where your parents send you to school!

If it raises money for good causes that's the only thing that matters - the people being helped by the money raised would rather have £50k from someone rich as opposed to £500 from someone more "deserving" (whatever that means!!).

I am not more deserving no, but presumably you think those without money are less deserving, or less hardworking?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just a thought but in a society where people can roll out vast sums of money for short-time pleasure the real shame i think is that it is necessary at all for children in need to rely on charity to better their lives, the government is failing it's duty in care.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE