First (Semi) Wild Camp in 15 Years

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2016
UK
The title pretty much says it all, I used to go out quite a bit when I was younger, but then real life kind of takes over and sucks all your time away! Luckily enough though, I had a break in my schedule and managed to get an overnight-er in for the first time in too long. So there I was acting like a giddy child with a big smile on my face while the lady thinks I've gone bonkers for choosing to bugger off in to the woods and sleep in the dirt instead of a nice comfy bed. In my excitement though, I think I massively over-packed, seeing as I managed to completely fill out my short-back bergen! To be fair though, most of the space was taken up by my USGI MSS (For some reason I decided to take the entire system with me, however considering what happened later I'm glad I did!). I also packed in 2 tarps, an inflatable pillow, self inflating camping mat, bivvi pole, some paracord (also know as boot laces), knife, first aid kit and I even managed food and water as well! Go me! I didn't weigh my pack before setting off, but needless to say it was on the weighty side.

So after throwing it in my car, I nip down to the local woods and enjoy the rather scenic route to the spot I decided on a few days previous;

And I still can't decide whether the below photo is of a fox or rabbit hole :confused:

So eventually I arrive at my little spot and begin to set up camp. First thing's first, clear away the debris so I that I don't end up putting a twig through my mattress or bivvi bag! It took a good 5-10 minutes to get it to the point where I was happy, but I was pleased with the final result.

Now, the bloody annoying part. I spent the next hour being talked out and interrupted by my semi-deaf next door neighbour (who likes his TV really loud at 11pm) who I'd hoped to escape by coming to a secluded spot in the middle of the bloody woods!! No such luck!! It turns out he collects golf balls from the near by courses and sells them back to the club. Not only did he turn up, but he proceeds to show me how he can escape the deep bogs nearby by jumping in them so he sinks right up to his chest (I thought I was going to have to rescue his idiotic bottom at one point because he was so deep in he was struggling to get out, and putting a heavy branch on his head may have constituted something illegal!!) :aargh4:

Eventually he does bugger off though, which gives me a chance to start setting up my tarp and ground sheet for the night. My original plan was to have the tarp propped up at the end, but wasn't quite how I'd expected/wanted it to be.

Not quite what I imagined. After this lacklustre idea, I decide to try the tried-and-true side opening method, which I have to say, I got on with a lot better.

With everything done and set, I finish my sandwiches and settle down in to the MSS for the night. The immediate thought that hits me is this thing is bloody warm!! I'm only covered by the green bag and the bivvi cover, but I'm roasting alive in the heat even with the bag fully open! I'm beginning to think that the dear lady was right when she called me a human polar bear! After tossing and turning for an hour or two, I eventually manage to doze off only to be woken up by the dull pain in my hip (I'm a side sleeper) from where its rubbing in to the floor because my self inflating mat is not so self-inflating any more (That'll teach me for buying cheap cr*p from Ultimate Outdoors!). It's a good thing I brought the MSS in it's full configuration, because the black sleeping bag (which I'm lying on top of) is the only thing that's giving me any padding at the moment. A couple of hours more of fitful sleep and I eventually wake up and begin to break camp, trying to get out before the woods become infested with dog walkers. Overall, I absolutely loved being back outside again! My neighbour not-withstanding it was a nice night, but the two key takeaways for me are 1) Get a proper sleeping pad, and 2) Don't forget insect repellent.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Your neighbour sounds like a bit of a 'character'. :lmao:

Good on you for getting out, but definitely sort the pad out, it's absolutely key to a good night. I've got a Thermarest and a Multimat Liteweight that will be appearing in the Classifieds in the near future as I have an underquilt for the hammock and use an Exped Synmat for tenting. Give us a shout if you want a look and I'll dig them out and check the exact models.

Jan 11, 2016
UK
Your neighbour sounds like a bit of a 'character'. :lmao:

Good on you for getting out, but definitely sort the pad out, it's absolutely key to a good night. I've got a Thermarest and a Multimat Liteweight that will be appearing in the Classifieds in the near future as I have an underquilt for the hammock and use an Exped Synmat for tenting. Give us a shout if you want a look and I'll dig them out and check the exact models.

Hah! He is indeed! Due to his deafness he sometimes wanders around making what can only be described as quacking noises :rolleyes: He's nice enough though, if a little 'interesting'.

Yeah, that pad is being either binned or ritually sacrificed, I haven't quite made my mind up yet. I do plan to get one of the nice new, shiny British army self inflating pads, as they seem pretty sturdy, and I like ex-military gear (It tends to be 'me-proof'). Thanks for the offer though, and if I can't find one of the army ones, I'll drop you a PM?

Jan 11, 2016
UK
Thanks for sharing your night out, glad you enjoyed it. What stove, brew/cook kit did you use?

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to read it! I didn't take any cooking or brew kit with me (only a few sandwiches). I emit body heat like a broken radiator so any hot foods or drinks tend to make me boil (Especially in summer) :campfire: It IS something I need to buy though, was thinking maybe an esbit stove to start off with and maybe a jetboil in the future?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE