Things Illegal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Sadly, in the UK they were frequently used by amateur poachers, who frequently used the wrong size trap for the species they were trapping, and/or left them out for days without checking them.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
bogflogger said:
On a Forum that is BLOCKED to deny access to Educational Establishments.

This was a humourous thread title on an Adult Forum.

What exactly is it's relavence to BCUK and Illegal Fishing Methods?

:cool:

My point is that if you wish to look for offence you will find it. Even in the postings of someone as "upright" as yourself.

Don't you think it is time to drop this now. It's very boring.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Wayland said:
My point is that if you wish to look for offence you will find it. Even in the postings of someone as "upright" as yourself.

Agree... People are starting to take this personally - not ideal when you're trying to have a constructive debate.

Bogflogger, you sound like you're trying to make a point as the moral majority - you're still only a contributer to this along with everyone else. You've got some valid points that are being lost because of your rhetoric.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey torjusg. I have a couple of gin traps. They are very old and are hung up on the outside of my shed with other interesting odds and bits such as old pit saws, crosscut saws various axes and horse logging equipment. Will try again to get a pic to show. These were used to catch all small game and pests by the leg and in doing so were pretty horrible!
Swyn.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Wayland said:

I was bored with this by post no.3 of this thread.

I was bored by the entire thread linked to in post no.3, and every other time this matter has arisen.

I am bored with continually having the same group, having a "Tag team" verbal kicking session, whenever I point out that a method of fishing being described is Illegal in the UK.

No amount of emotive nonsense, character assassination, or shouting, is going to affect the fact that fishing using any method other than Rod and Line is Illegal on Freshwater in the UK. (and for BR: except for certain LOCAL Exceptions).

Not Borneo.......Not Norway.........The UK.

So next time I post the fact, would it be possible to do so without pages of invented reasons why it is ok to use this method, or how barbaric Anglers are, or how "traditional" it is.

If it is Illegal then I will point it out, mostly so that some teenage novice does not get misinformed, use the method and get Prosecuted for Poaching.

:cool:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, thats something we `dont` want, largley because such an issue is made of it these days.

(as opposed to the past, in which though the law was often unjust, a lot of discretion was made)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As we discussed by PM BF, if there is a large concern as to legality, a single, well constructed, informative thread on the law in regards to fishing would surely be the way to go (in the same way as was done on knife law). That way we could operate on the "say it once, say it clear" mode.

Saying that "fishing using any method other than Rod and Line is Illegal on Freshwater in the UK. (and for BR: except for certain LOCAL Exceptions)" implies that rod and line fishing is always legal. This of course is far from the truth - I was fascinated to learn in another thread that using a rod rest is illegal in Scotland (or even setting the rod down against a rock).

I can see great merit in a single, comprehensive, well articulated thread laying out all the laws on taking fish and game in the UK. I recal offering to work with you to prepare such a thread. Then we would have a comprehensive reference source that could be "taken as read" and people could discuss what they chose, the site would be assured that the rules were known, and the free flow of discussion (often about historic, foreign or ethnic items) could continue, unfettered by the need to interrupt them and rake this over.

Can I offer agin to work with you on such a thread?

Red

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
This thread is no longer informative and it seems to me to becomming a personal slanging match.
will the mods please lock this thread

regards

Ian

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I agree. I think the fact that this method of fishing was put up by somebody in another country where it is legal should make no difference to the fact that it is illegal here in UK. Saying that, we should be able to discuss these things as long as we are all aware that the method is illegal in UK. This was stated towards the beginning of the thread and the whole legality of this type of fishing has been "flogged to death" (No pun intended BF!! :D )

Maybe we should get this thread closed and in future if somebody posts something which is illegal from another country, then just say in your post "This style of fishing is illegal in the UK". There shouldn't be a big song and dance about it with one side saying how barbaric hooks are and the other side dismissing the original post out of hand. I thought the thread was quite interesting at the beginning with a hint of BCUK's usual humour and banter, but now it has got out of hand. :(

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bogflogger said:
I am bored with continually having the same group, having a "Tag team" verbal kicking session, whenever I point out that a method of fishing being described is Illegal in the UK.

If it is Illegal then I will point it out, mostly so that some teenage novice does not get misinformed, use the method and get Prosecuted for Poaching.

Maybe it's just the way you point it out that gets people's backs up? It certainly did me when you posted about my lobster pots ages ago....so much so that had I not been such a lawabiding person I'd have done it just to spite you... I did find it very useful to know that it was an illigal method and it led to me being advised by others on how to contact the EA and get a licence, which I have done.
My point being that your post was at base level very useful to me but the way you said it made me feel patronised and spoken down too....and that's where ego kicks in and arguements start, arguements that are then hidnig the useful info you were giving.

Maybe next time you point it out (and I agree that you have a right to and in fact that you should do) instead of saying something along the lines of:

"Catching fish by any other means than rod and line is POACHING and is ILLIGAL in UK :( "

You could just say something along these line:

"Hey guys, interesting discussion you're having but don't forget that what you're talking about is illigal in the UK and you'll get into trouble if you try it out for real :) ".

You've said the same thing....got the same message across and haven't put people's back up.

It would appear that the unhelpful medium of the written word is also playing a helping hand in all this ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Unfortunately, as you have found, this is a HUGELY complex subject.

The prohibition on using rod rests is a Scottish peculiarity, basically because most Scottish fishing is Game fishing using Fly gear, which is not a static method of fishing.

Scottish fishing Law differs significantly from English and Welsh Law.

There are also Regional Bye Laws, Water Authority Bye Laws, Local Bye Laws and Rules for fishing Private waters - which can be anything the venue owner wants.

These Bye Laws also change fairly regularly, so what is true today might not be true tomorrow.

Even baits that are allowed can be difficult, one venue will allow sweetcorn but ban maggots....another will be the reverse, etc, etc.

The only constant in all of this is:

1. In England and Wales you MUST have an Environment Agency Fishing License BEFORE you fish......INCLUDING Private waters.

2. You MUST comply with whatever Bye Laws the venue you are fishing at comes under.

3. You MUST fish using a Rod and Line (unless there is a Specific Local Exemption for a particular method).

For is this reason that I cannot really see any way to produce a clear set of rules, beyond 1, 2 and 3 above.

The place to check is here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/399730/

And also, with your local fishing tackle shop, who will have a copy of the local Bye Laws available, as well as being useful for tips on local waters.

:D

Reactions: Wayland

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cant recall who Neil - remember thinking water and leccy ...hmmm. It was zander though you are right!

H

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
British Red said:
a single, well constructed, informative thread on the law in regards to fishing would surely be the way to go .....

Can I offer agin to work with you on such a thread?

Red

I for one would find this a very useful reference.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
British Red said:
Ever see that episode of "cook from the wild side" when they went electric fishing?

Hi Guys, interesting discussion you're having here, but you are aware that this type of fishing is not permitted in the Uk ? :D :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE