the wild gourmets poll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who is more annoying?

• Tommi Miers

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Guy Grieve

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • They deserve each other!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Neither, I quite enjoy the program

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters
hmm i must be easy going , neither of them bother me in the slightest and I have enjoyed the first couple of episodes i have seen , its a bit far fetched saying using only ingredients they find , they keep pulling out all kinds of things to chuck into the grub , but I would much rather watch things like this than the rest of the drivel on tv :)

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
I'm enjoying them too. We should applaud this programming and support it or we will end up with makeover shows, nonsense phone in quizzes and D-lists celebrity in a fix shows!

Pete

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Yep, I'm with the majority here. Miggers is dead right.

However, if push came to shove, Tommie is a great cook but Guy is more poser than bushcrafter so he gets my vote!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It is becoming slightly tiresome, this starting up threads to flame grill folks presenting outdoors stuff on TV. As has been said before, no one forces anyone to watch ;) and it has to be preferable to have programs aimed at presenting the countryside to the otherwise urban couch potatoe than to have nothing but a mindless series of reality shows.

Hence, I have added another option to the above poll :D While I think that the program is low on real information, I do not find the presenters annoying and would rather it be on than a dozen other programs I would rather forget.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Hence, I have added another option to the above poll :D While I think that the program is low on real information, I do not find the presenters annoying and would rather it be on than a dozen other programs I would rather forget.

I have nothing against the presenters either as the rushed pace of the programme doesn't really give their personalities a look-in. However, I have switched back to watching something else. :(

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It is becoming slightly tiresome, this starting up threads to flame grill folks presenting outdoors stuff on TV. As has been said before, no one forces anyone to watch ;)

Just turn off the TV set and go out and do something less boring instead!

ganstey

Settler
I haven't yet got round to watching the second one, so this is based on watching the opener.

OK, so the programme has its faults, but I'm not sure a more 'intellectual' format would have got past the proposal stage. After all, the TV companies are only interested if its going to bring in the viewing figures. Within that context, I think its quite good.

Hopefully it will have sufficient viewing figures to encourage this type of programme, but with an increased budget for research, practical teaching, and better informed presenters.

So, to answer the poll question, the presenters, are presenters. Nothing more, nothing less.

G

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is becoming slightly tiresome, this starting up threads to flame grill folks presenting outdoors stuff on TV. As has been said before, no one forces anyone to watch ;) and it has to be preferable to have programs aimed at presenting the countryside to the otherwise urban couch potatoe than to have nothing but a mindless series of reality shows.

Well it kind of makes you feel slightly superior to turn round and say 'well actually they are doing that wrong, the right way is......:nana: ' ....But it gets quite boring. I do worry about others taking the advice seriously without understanding the depth of knowlegde that is required to practice hunting and gathering skills safely.
This program has made me realise that Sir Patrick Moore was right. I dont need to ogle some blokes bare butt to watch a program, it wouldn't be allowed if he was a she so why is alright exploit a male to sell a program. But my mad rants on equality aren't bushcraft so I won't bore you further.

But then again since when has watching tv been a bushcraft skill. Maybe we need a watching TV subforum and then the rest of the site will armchair bushcraft free.

So let all sing the new BCUK theme tune
Sitting at home, watching TV
Turn it off, it's no good to me
Oh why don't you
Why don't you
Whyyyyyy don't yoooooou just...
Just turn off the TV set and go out and do something less boring instead!

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
I gave it the time of day and it does what it says on the tin "Wild Gourmet"

Meaning rich mans supper

it isn't BC and never will be and doesn't deserve a place in this forum IMO

I wish my mate owned an umpteen acre estate and allowed me to ramble through it shooting willy nilly, then nip to his victorian walled garden and pick nearly all his wild artichokes.

Most stuff in the program you could learn watching Jamie Oliver with a little help from Mr Mears for the more wilder pickings, and thats my little rant :p

Wayland

Hárbarðr
At no point that I can see did it ever claim to be a "Bushcraft" program. It's about "Wild Food" and as far as most of the TV audience is concerned that is what it presents.

It may be a shock to some people on this forum but we are a tiny minority audience, probably not even worth considering in the ratings stakes.

If you can't distil some useful information out of a program like this or the half a dozen country life or nature programs in a week then I guess you'll just have to go back to the sofa and watch RM on DVD again.

Come on folks, get a grip.....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Heck, what a way to start a thread and Poll, it seems to me that the whole orientation of this is negative,so what's the point of it, other than maybe appealing to a select few that enjoy having a swipe....

Maybe a much better way of starting it would be 'which one do you prefer?' the input would still come but it would be rather more pertinent. I really am of a mind to close this down as it's flaming and I think if you check that's a ban on here...:togo:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Heck, what a way to start a thread and Poll, it seems to me that the whole orientation of this is negative,so what's the point of it, other than maybe appealing to a select few that enjoy having a swipe....

Maybe a much better way of starting it would be 'which one do you prefer?' the input would still come but it would be rather more pertinent. I really am of a mind to close this down as it's flaming and I think if you check that's a ban on here...:togo:

I wish you would - I'm tired of the "lets have a pop from our armchairs" threads. No point, no need. If you don't like something, don't watch it. Think you can do better? Phone the TV production companies and sell your idea to 'em :(

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Altogether now

Sitting at home, watching TV
Turn it off, it's no good to me
Oh why don't you
Why don't you
Whyyyyyy don't yoooooou just...:D

Sorry to hijack this thread, didnt vote anyways :rolleyes:

But what was tht program called ? was it YTV or somthing???? what ever it was it was ace ! sheesh thats going back some :rolleyes:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
to hijack this thread, didnt vote anyways :rolleyes:

But what was tht program called ? was it YTV or somthing???? what ever it was it was ace ! sheesh thats going back some :rolleyes:

It was - as the song suggests - called Why Don't You...?

Regarding the poll and actual thread topic, I've not seen the programme in question so naturally have nothing to say about it specifically, but I do find it a little disappointing to see this sort of negative discussion taking place. It's really very much at odds with the best spirit of an Internet community like this one.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,

The book of the series is better than the programme. That said there are some passages which suggest that the first drafts were never proof read, such as suggesting that a rifle bullet can reach velocities of up to 30,000 feet per second. (someone ought to let the Pentagon know this!).

Tack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE