the wild gourmets poll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who is more annoying?

• Tommi Miers

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Guy Grieve

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • They deserve each other!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Neither, I quite enjoy the program

Votes: 42 53.2%

• Total voters
i used to like why dont you, the one that sticks in my mind to this day was on showing ferrets. these two kids were bathing this whit ferret and when it came to the end they picked the thing up, held it under the front legs like a beer bottle and squeezed all the way down and wring it out. the animal was unhurt but i fell off the chair laughing. when the thing was dry it looked like it had been electrocuted, a long fluff ball - great stuff

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
i used to like why dont you, the one that sticks in my mind to this day was on showing ferrets. these two kids were bathing this whit ferret and when it came to the end they picked the thing up, held it under the front legs like a beer bottle and squeezed all the way down and wring it out. the animal was unhurt but i fell off the chair laughing. when the thing was dry it looked like it had been electrocuted, a long fluff ball - great stuff

:lmao: I can see it now

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Oh come on! The show is fine! It's not telling you how to cook your pheasant, but how you could cook your pheasant. It could be Clarkson or Beadle presenting it, who cares. It's just an outdoor related show and to be honest, I'd rather watch that than the usual drivel of unreality shows.

Personally, it made me think about increasing the size of my pillbox spice rack, so I can experiment with my food out doors.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Oh come on! The show is fine! It's not telling you how to cook your pheasant, but how you could cook your pheasant. It could be Clarkson or Beadle presenting it, who cares. It's just an outdoor related show and to be honest, I'd rather watch that than the usual drivel of unreality shows.

Personally, it made me think about increasing the size of my pillbox spice rack, so I can experiment with my food out doors.
Good point!
Tack

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Hmm, well i did vote, i i voted to say that they deserved each other. however i feel that a little qualificaion is needed here.
first the senarios are a little contrived, i think that having a camera crew might help in getting cooperation. but then i doubt that its much different from cook on the wild side in that respect.
second, about the relative poshness, HWF, RM are not exactly poor/from the wrong side of the tracks, neither is RM's co-presenter on Wild food.
third, its a suggestion of what you might do, not a this is how you must do it.

i did think that the my kit is axes knives shotgun, 22lr.......
and filling up the tank with 2lt bottles of cooking oil looked a bit contrived. just my thoughts,

i watch it, and will continue to watch it, its a good laugh, and now the nights are drawing in its better than eastenders!!!!!

I suppose i aggree with alot of the above comments, both the good and the bad, i'm sure that some people here don't like the IT Crowd, but then no-one is forced to watch it, and also its not produced by public funding.

hmm, first long post for a while, better do some work!

best regards
steve

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I suppose i aggree with alot of the above comments, both the good and the bad, i'm sure that some people here don't like the IT Crowd, but then no-one is forced to watch it, and also its not produced by public funding.

IT crowd first series was very good :) this second one is not as good :( Not so much `the it crowd` as the `people-who-work-in-it-and-do-a-lot-of-non-it-related-jokes`

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I watch it - and am very jealous that they get paid to go foraging and generally hang out in the countryside!

I agree that the format is a bit rushed and the presenters arent the best, but still enjoyable to watch.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I applaud them for getting out into the relative "wild" and having a good laugh doing it. I can only think of how bushcrafty we all are when we head out. I know I take the occasional nippy sweety with me in my hip flask and any thing else that makes life a bit easier.

It would be amazing if we all had the skill and time to make all of our kit but thats not possible. Good on em for bringing us a break from the normal pants programming of hollyoaks and Corry!

Rant over. :D Anyone know what the canvas is that they use for their accommodation tent. Looks like an Icelantic shape supported externally?

Last night's was a bit contrived in that the your average Joe's chances of getting a shoot on a grouse moor are virtually zip (you'd have to do a damm sight more work in lieu of hard cash than the two presenters did).

I am starting to warm to the programme and the presenters though - especially when they show the failures, funnily enough. Last week when they tried fishing for brown trout using hazel(?) branches. You could tell the chances were slim (weather didn't help either) - but Guy Grieve shows a "have a go" spirit which I think is commendable (his axe work still makes me wince though).

I'm finally getting the point about her not being so purist about totally wild food in her cooking and combining what you find with stuff you buy - and let's face it, she's a great campfire/ bbq chef - last week's lamb was cooked to perfection! and she's fulfilling her brief in that you don't need a multi thousand pound kitchen to produce gourmet grub.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I'm pleased to say I have enjoyed the programme like most of you. Thank God that not everyone wants to pull down presenters of outdoors programmes. We mostly agree on Bear Grylls... without repeating all the dangerous stunts. Maybe Tony has a point, perhaps we should consider the poverty in our own response before we rush to criticise what is primarily " entertainment" Certainly they have never suggested something which could get you killed, and there are some great ideas for outdoor cooking.
Give them a break, it is only television and he is bushcrafty. Will she get her kit off before the end of the series? That would make a more lively poll IMHO.
George:D

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
I watch it - and am very jealous that they get paid to go foraging and generally hang out in the countryside!

I agree that the format is a bit rushed and the presenters arent the best, but still enjoyable to watch.

I agree to that bushcraftbob what a great way to make a living

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, programme, frankly, is poo(r). It is, as described above, 'information-lite' - more effort went into the production, music and styling of the series than into the information itself. Wobbly scenes, fast cuts, sloppy editing.

In terms of the presenters, I agree that this forum is not the place for 'slagging' but, some constructive criticism: both presenters are clearly knowledgeable about their subjects but they come across as over-enthusiastic and a little 'false'. Perhaps with more TV experience they would have been able to present with a little more authority - remember that neither have come from a TV background.

I was disappointed because the subject matter is interesting and the producers have made a programme that is more style over substance. If you really want the essence of the subject, get the book - which I was actually really impressed with! As I've described it before, it is like an extension of the 'Hedgerow' chapter in HFW's 'River Cottage Cookbook'.

Great book - but they missed an opportunity with the programme.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Not a fan myself, the information is few and far between and they cheat too much IMO. When advertised it was made out to be a 'wild Food' show, and yes to certain degree it is but swapping this for that and cheating here and there is not what I call true Wild Food!

I would watch more if HFW was presenting it as I find him better. Just my 2 cents worth, if others enjoy it then its well worth it, it's just not for me.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
That is true but if I remember he swapped less in cook on the wild side. And I totally agree with you, Richard Maybe would be fantastic on a show like that!

Kris

But to be fair HFW spent a lot of time swapping stuff too.

What I'd really like to see is Richard Mabey (Author of Food for free) doing a series.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
I am really very highly annoying myself so i cant really dish out on others for that.
Program was a bit basic but the more bushcrafty type tv the better i say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE