The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I agree the first is Pyraustra aurata. Very nice photo.

The second is a bee mimicking hoverfly, looks like something in the Myathropa genus from the big bend in the long wing vein (highly distinctive). There are several similar species so I'm going to look it up.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Changed my mind. Eristalis intricarius. A bumblebee mimic. Body pattern is wrong for Myathropa, as is the size, and the other possibility Merodon equestris has all black legs.

Interesting challenge that one. Thank you.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
CgbsCoh.jpeg

This beastie was about the size of my thumbnail.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No firm conclusion reached. Might be Xysticus lanio, which often has a reddish colour, but this specimen is way beyond that. Too big to be an Ozyptila although the markings on the abdomen make me think of them.

Would need the specimen to be definitive about it, but heck, what a wonderful looking creature.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No firm conclusion reached. Might be Xysticus lanio, which often has a reddish colour, but this specimen is way beyond that. Too big to be an Ozyptila although the markings on the abdomen make me think of them.

Would need the specimen to be definitive about it, but heck, what a wonderful looking creature.

My thoughts too - found in Nantcol, North wales. Took the photo then moved it to safety.

EDIT

Judging by this image
http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/Spiders/Thomisidae/Ozyptila_trux_D5811.jpg

It is very similar - don't think it's too big to be an Ozyptila - thumbnail size including legs? Google images throws up specimens of similar size.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah, sorry, I'm in the habit of assuming sizes as being without legs, as that is the official way it is done, leg length often being deceptive. In that case then yes, my first instinct would be Ozyptila, especially given the rather circular abdominal markings. trouble is you still can't get it to species, as aside from a few distinctive species, Ozyptila breaks down into the pale ones and the dark ones, and they are not field distinguishable.

I wish I could clearly see the spines on the carapace, as that would help a lot.

Was that from heather, by the way? Just trying to explain the colouring.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ah, sorry, I'm in the habit of assuming sizes as being without legs, as that is the official way it is done, leg length often being deceptive. In that case then yes, my first instinct would be Ozyptila, especially given the rather circular abdominal markings. trouble is you still can't get it to species, as aside from a few distinctive species, Ozyptila breaks down into the pale ones and the dark ones, and they are not field distinguishable.

I wish I could clearly see the spines on the carapace, as that would help a lot.

Was that from heather, by the way? Just trying to explain the colouring.

Not much heather where we were - but there was some about a 5 minute walk away. Plenty of Bracken, Grasses, Bog Myrtle, Woodland.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If it is one of the darker Ozyptila, none of them are common, but O. scabricula is the least rare. it could be an interesting record. At the very least it is an interesting colour form.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent. That confirms it as an Ozyptila, due to the shape of the hairs, but without seeing the underside of the abdomen of this specimen (a female), in excellent lighting conditions, preferably under a microscope, there is no way I could confirm species, and without that it is just a nice picture. For a rarity I'd also have to have it checked by the national recorder. Always assuming that it is adult in the first place, as immatures are completely unidentifiable.

Call it a purple Ozyptila and leave it there. Great thing to have found.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Isn't it funny how you can doubt yourself? I sent the pictures of the purple spider to the national spider recorder (yes, there is such a person), and he said (to paraphrase) "Impossible to say to species for certain, but it is a Xysticus, probably Xysticus lanio because of the reddish colouration"

Which is exactly what I said originally.

Only then I doubted myself. :p

Ah well, we learn from experience. I hope.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE