The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
\chiseller, the answer to your question is yes, it is a lime hawkmoth, as far as I can tell.

A quote for the UKmoths website"The larvae feed on lime (Tilia) as well as a number of other deciduous trees including birch (Betula), alder (Alnus) and elm (Ulmus). They are typically green with yellow stripes and a blue horn at the rear. When ready to pupate, they change colour to a dull greyish or purplish and begin to wander, looking for a pupation site. This is when they are most often encountered."

Tiptop cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Red, I'm afraid my butterfly expert has come back and confirmed my original identification of your butterfly - a tatty green veined white.

It was a really nice picture though.

Nothing to be sorry for - the veins looked too dark for me hence the question ...nice to know for certain - you can only tell so much from "Collins British Insects" :)

Thanks to you and your friend!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Always good to ask. It made me wonder too, as I've never seen a wood white for real, so I didn't want to be wrong on this one. My friend is the butterfly recorder for much of south wales though, so he is pretty reliable (just the 40+ years of experience or so).

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
A little poser

JT1_zps5beae7c0.jpg

JT2_zps82fa844d.jpg

JT3_zpsadfc902c.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

Mike

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Hoverfly, Episyrphus Balteatus?

Apologies for the poor pics the damn thing wouldn't settle so it's in a pot, I believe this is The Crescent?

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hoverfly, Episyrphus Balteatus?

Apologies for the poor pics the damn thing wouldn't settle so it's in a pot, I believe this is The Crescent?

First is correct. Episyrphus balteatus, otherwise known as the Marmalade hoverfly because of its colouring. The only UK hoverfly with 2 stripes (or partial stripes) per abdominal segment.

The second is a Silver Y moth.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a Jersey Tiger, rather than a Garden Tiger. Nice moth.

Just noticed that my book (which is out of date) says confined to Devon and the Channel Islands, but it may have spread.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Anybody know these bugs?

Might be Pyrausta aurata??

The second one is a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. It's like 2 centimeters long:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE