The very best military surplus kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I use a mixture of milsurp and civilian kit, I think it gives me the best of both worlds. Since we have such an international group here, what are the best pieces of military surplus kit you have ever used. They can be from any military and any type of kit (please no Warrior vs Bradley).

My picks...

US Army Poncho liner
US Army canteen, stainless steel cup, and stove
Panama Tread jungle boots

Mac

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure of the model but in the 80s I had a German army sleeping bag which had sleeves and a zip across the knees so you could walk around without taking it off. Superb bit of kit which got worn out after about 10 years of solid use. It weighed about 3 stone and filled up my blue external frame rucksack no problem but I still loved it.

I wouldn`t dream of carrying one today though

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
my issue us army poncho & liner (my woobie)
my lensatic compass
my camelback MULE (no bladder though)
nato canteen & cup (little bit bigger than the US one)
I too mix civvie & military gear...I am naturally abusive to my stuff,so, the military stuff seems to wear a little better

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The rectangular British Army mess tins, great kit

British Army No7 and No12 stoves, both liquid fuel pressurised, reliable superb examples of well thought out design

British Army 24 hour ration packs, best in its class in the world

.303 SMLE Rifle but they are not easy to own any more in the UK (but not impossible);)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
German Army KFS, heavy but solid and feels like real cutlery.

flbut1ux500c.jpg

And the Milbank Bag.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Nato water bottle (Osprey, p58) - Bomb proof
French leather lined canvas shoulder bag. - Tougher than the water bottle!!
PLCE Side pouches - Oh so versatile!
Norgie shirt - Such good value, but keep it dry.
Mk 7 Gas mark bag - great possibles bag, if you can find one.

Dave

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
supergrade british army assault boots. like my m8 (calibanzwei) they're just comfy and do you for more miles then i care to count.
Us woodland boonie hat. ripstop, 7 1/2. keeps the rain off, keeps the sun off and its vented so it keeps me cool. best outdoor hat ever.
US medic pouch (molle) suprisingly large amount of items can be stored in this wonderfull little zip pouch, and it fits on any belt or bag going. not to mention bomb proof

us 1quart canteen and pouch. again molle attachable and easy to carry. excellent for all environments and tough as nails.
Camelback thermobak 3l. i airsoft alot so water is very important, 3l is alot to carry but i'll drink throughout the day and stay hydrated and thus stay awake whilst the others are collapsing with heat stroke..
one of those swedish foldable cups. oddly this cup has done me proud service. totaly robust and yet holds a suprising amount. no burned lips either ;)

Milsurp kit is fantastic, its designed to be tough and to do the job (at least 70% actually does too) you can never go wrong with it.
btw if someone knows where i can get a MK7 resi bag i'll happily spend a week as your slave, they're gold dust.
pete

edit: also forgot. US poncho and desi Shamagh! cannot forget the ol' rag.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
UK- 58 patern water bottle
crusader mug
PLCE side pouches + yolk
gortex bivi bag
DPM basha
milbank bag

norwegan shirts
swedish army trangia
i once got told that mora knives were issued to the swedish army but im not sure??

pete

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As others have said, the '58 waterbottle and the crusader mug are essentials (and I like the crusader cooker unit too). Best bit of surplus clothing I've got is the Helly Hansen fire retardant 80% wool thermal field jacket, which I believe is Dutch in origin.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
For me, it's 2 things:

The Swedish Army lip balm.
A great product on cold days for cracked lips and dry, cracked skin. And it's eadible too, so in a pinch you can use it as frying grease.
Swedish armed forces lip balm

The Swiss army cutlery.
They only get spoon and fork in their set. Of course they don't need more, since they're all issued....... You guessed it already, didn't you, a SAK!!
Sola Militärbesteck

/ Karl

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Sorry, I have a deflective smell shucker!

That should have been Mark 7 Gas Mask bag.

I got mine from the army-navy stores in cambridge on regent street, about 6 months ago for a tenner. It is, I'm told, Naval pattern having brass studs thru' holes, rather than poppers. The dividers and pockets seem idea for possibles to me.

Dave

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I continue to use mostly issued kit as i managed to keep hold of it. my faves are my compass, v12 goggles for my Mbike, desert boots with padding and gortex socks, sleeping system although in summer i use a buffalo bag and my issued knives arctic and clasp. oh and my foldy shovel, but thats for personal buisness. i really like mil kit as it's what i'm used to and it's easy to fix without worrying if it looks pretty.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I don't know about best but my most used bit of kit ever was a chemical warfare smock I used to wear everywhere and for anything back in the early 90's. I practically lived in it, very comfortable, hard wearing, windproof, quite warm and cost peanuts.

Never needed it for a chemical attack though:sigh:

this one here

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Milsurp kit is fantastic, its designed to be tough and to do the job (at least 70% actually does too) you can never go wrong with it.
btw if someone knows where i can get a MK7 resi bag i'll happily spend a week as your slave, they're gold dust.
pete
Here ya go Pete, now about the washing up... ;-) http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=621

No online ordering function but just call them up and you should have one arrive in a few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE