Surplus for Civilians

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's always recommendations for army surplus in budget clothing requests. Without doubt for a good reason. It makes me wonder what the best options are for non military or hunting/stalking look from surplus options?

I'm not usually into the greens or cammo or navy/airforce blues. I've got a buffalo s6 in green though and I don't think it's a military surplus looking top so perhaps...

Anyway, if you were to look for surplus kit for civilians that looks more civilian in origin, what would you look for?

I'm UK based and afraid I prefer UK retailers. I deal with import/export between eu and UK so don't want any of that potential hassle at home. Unless there's a retailer that sorts it all out from their end of course.

Reactions: MrEd

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
There's always recommendations for army surplus in budget clothing requests. Without doubt for a good reason. It makes me wonder what the best options are for non military or hunting/stalking look from surplus options?

I'm not usually into the greens or cammo or navy/airforce blues. I've got a buffalo s6 in green though and I don't think it's a military surplus looking top so perhaps...

Anyway, if you were to look for surplus kit for civilians that looks more civilian in origin, what would you look for?

I'm UK based and afraid I prefer UK retailers. I deal with import/export between eu and UK so don't want any of that potential hassle at home. Unless there's a retailer that sorts it all out from their end of course.
I used to make the most of Cotswolds Rock bottom store and GO outdoors discount drives to get good hiking and camping gear at affordable prices.

Now with more online shops, I just shop around. Sometimes it takes a while before you find what you want at a price your willing to pay, but usually you'll get there eventually.

For more generic clothes/jackets etc, have a look at your local farmers' cooperative store or similar that sells work clothing. They tend to be cheaper, hard-wearing and fire-retardant.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
To be honest, if you want military surplus that's not in camo, greens, or blues...well, you're going to be limited.
There's black, of course. But then you may come off looking like some SAS wannabe. Which I'm guessing you also want to avoid (quite rightly).
Pretty much leaves only browns. Although there may be some fluorescent bits and pieces.

What might help is to know where you are wearing it. Is it purely in town/amongst civilised people? Just in the field? Or from field to town?
It's going to be hard to completely eliminate that surplus look when you are buying surplus, for all the obvious reasons.
Mind you, I don't wear camo either, but I have no problems with greens, browns, and greys. Though to be entirely honest with you, I wear hardly any military surplus - literally, just one or two items that I can think of.
I don't feel comfortable in the military look either.
One way of avoiding the military look when wearing surplus is not to wear it in a military way. If that makes sense. So, combat trousers that have been bloused around an old pair of para boots is going to look more military than the same pair of trousers left over the top of the boots. And even less so if paired off with a lumberjack style shirt. Yeah, sure - when in the woods and fields having your trousers tied around the ankle makes sense, but when you reach civilisation undo them, etc.
Maybe that would help avoid looking too military in military surplus.

Reactions: SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I no longer buy military surplus clothes at all; I think there's much better choice, better looking, and good value in the field sports market. Most country stores have clothing that the beaters will buy (as opposed to the breeches and tweed lot) but if you want a wide choice you'll have to look on line.

There is some UK made stuff but also look at Ridgeway and Percussion both imported and sold by a number of stores. I use New Forest Clothing but only because they are well priced, responsive, and stock a wide range - they also sell their own brand as well as the ones mentioned.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Some of the Dutch stuff and French f1/f2 stuff on military mart looks quite ‘civilian’. As do things like the Austrian rip stop trousers
Look for greys and olives? Some of the Swedish stuff can look less military by the removal of loops and badges etc.

I won’t wear DPM tbh as I think that looks to ‘army’ for me, but I have a Danish dancam coat which is a nice type of camo and is actually excellent in our temperate environment.

I have dyed cotton lightweight trousers before to a different colour.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Austrian KAZ O3 is the most civil looking plain olive field uniform system that's available as military surplus. Otherwise you can look for navy uniforms that are available in dark blue, black and sand colour.

Scandinavic, Swiss and German equipment was grey and is still available, but if you don't pay attention you look pretty soon like a Wehrmacht soldier with that stuff.

There is a British black 30 litres rucksack on the market and a Dutch black 80 litres Sting, both are good without any doubt.

Reactions: TLM and MrEd

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Pairing something from the surplus store with non-surplus items is a great way to break it up visually and make it look more civilian.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do the suppliers to the services make stuff for others? Companies like snugpak and buffalo have or do supply military but have admittedly expensive civilian versions. What about other suppliers? Any cater for civilians such as hunting/ field use as well?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is fashion, it always was fashion. So long as you do not go all out to look like you have just come off manoeuvres on Salisbury plain who cares? Wear a bit of camo, but don't go for the whole matching suit. Damn it how many items of civvy clothing are modelled on military styling, epaulettes, patch pockets, cargo trousers the trench coat etc. Some things are just so classic and iconic like the British army lightweight trousers, they are just so practical. Now if I really wanted to blend into the background I would wear a hi viz jacket and trousers, complete with safety helmet, you will really not be noticed if you wear that. If on the other hand you want to stand out in a crowd, alpenflage is your goto :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It is fashion, it always was fashion. So long as you do not go all out to look like you have just come off manoeuvres on Salisbury plain who cares? Wear a bit of camo, but don't go for the whole matching suit. Damn it how many items of civvy clothing are modelled on military styling, epaulettes, patch pockets, cargo trousers the trench coat etc. Some things are just so classic and iconic like the British army lightweight trousers, they are just so practical. Now if I really wanted to blend into the background I would wear a hi viz jacket and trousers, complete with safety helmet, you will really not be noticed if you wear that. If on the other hand you want to stand out in a crowd, alpenflage is your goto :)
Hi-viz jacket, a lanyard and a clipboard and you're good to go.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Hi-viz jacket, a lanyard and a clipboard and you're good to go.
Good to go anywhere. Nuclear sites, top secret bunkers, GP appointments - all the restricted access you could desire. Nobody questions The Clipboard.

One way of avoiding the military look when wearing surplus is not to wear it in a military way. If that makes sense. So, combat trousers that have been bloused around an old pair of para boots is going to look more military than the same pair of trousers left over the top of the boots. And even less so if paired off with a lumberjack style shirt. Yeah, sure - when in the woods and fields having your trousers tied around the ankle makes sense, but when you reach civilisation undo them, etc.
Maybe that would help avoid looking too military in military surplus.
Think there's a lot in that. A bit of colourful accessorising and a more casual wearing style and you can avoid the over-enthusiastic neighbourhood watch co-ordinator look and exude casually fashionable trendsetter instead.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sew-on patches. all the patches. And I mean colourful and cheery ones like your favourite band or something, not the "tactical" ones.
One thing I tend to do now is to get the desert DPM clothing as it's cheap as chips then dye it brown, it's just as functional but looks sufficiently not like the uniform that it's ok to wear out and about. I just need to work out how to dye my bergan now...

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Have look at Varusteleka their own brand Sarma stuff is good. I have a few pair of their Outdoor pants and love them.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Carinthia clothing is also available in black and alpine grey. Most of it is surely too warm for England though.

The old plain green German trousers are still made by Leo Köhler and also in black. But they don't dry.

German army tropical underwear is coyote brown and very good, available used, unissued or new if made by Köhler.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ystranc

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Some Swedish green uniform jackets were surely meant seriously but they look so weird and old fashioned that they are rather funny than militaristic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE