Surplus for Civilians

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No, we have enough of rain here too.
And as I mentioned before in another thread, I once worked for half a year together with a Scot in a gardening enterprise. I didn't understand him and he didn't understand me. That's why I would rather stay in England if I would visit Britain. :biggrin:

Well, one has to pay attention with Carinthia clothing nevertheless some are designed to sit on an Austrian mountain in winter times. Viva Antarctica!

Reactions: Ystranc

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Right now on my commute I'm sat in train 5 minutes from my station about to ride a bike to my work. I'm in bright orange paramo top. That's how far from military colours I can get.

Think I need something more subtle for dog walking in rain and thought surplus might be cheap and OK. Suspect civilian can be bought cheaper

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, wearing NVA uniforms in the rain you are even invisible.

:D

For a dog walk in the rain I would look for a British Navy Goretex jacket.

The point is that the uniform has to get displaced to be seen as a piece of civil clothing. If you wear a Navy jacket in Portsmouth they think you are a member of the Royal Navy. If you wear it in the middle of England in the woods or on a Scottish hill you are just the guy who was so intelligent to save 300 € when he bought a blue Goretex jacket.

Even if you wear there a complete Flecktarn Goretex suit not so many people will think that you are a German soldier. The better informed ones in the woods will rather think that you just saved 600 € and don't care about how you look like.

Well, a drunken hunter might try to defend his country though. No risk, no fun!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Can't go wrong with a RN goretex jacket.
In the wet weather I wear one to work everyday.
Mind you, I did remove the reflective strips (and yes - I did add tape to the inside where the stitches once were).
Nothing military looking about the RN goretex jacket. Nice and baggy as well for extra layers beneath if it's also cold. And an absolute steal at £35.

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Planning to visit the nearest Decathlon mega store. Seems to be the only retail outlet that offers a significant range of civilian camo. Try before I buy.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Well, there is always the old East German Raindrop camo for that. Looks slightly strange for camo but apparently was not too bad, does not look like any of the present pixel ones.
Which is surpringly effective. Particularly in low light outside of summer, where contrast is low. I used to have a nice padded winter jacket in raindrop - sadly I ‘grew’ out of it i

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Vintage clothing offers natural materials, superior workmanship
and tailoring friendly. There’s an online blog; UK expat in Norway who talks about vintage and contemporary sources for clothing

• Love

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Well, there is always the old East German Raindrop camo for that. Looks slightly strange for camo but apparently was not too bad, does not look like any of the present pixel ones.
Very difficult to find the strichtarn camouflage these days.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, it is nearly sold out. Just a few East German milsurp shops still sell it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE