The T.A ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Anyone know much about joining the T.A. and being in it? Frankly, I don't like reading the army's "bumf" about joining up, it's all a bit too "join the army - it's great"

I'm a lorry driver, class2, I got my license about a year ago but work's been pretty slow and it just seems to be getting worse with the state of our economy. Years ago, when I was training to be a mechanic, I went through a good chunk of the process of joining the regular army but decided not to bother in the end but I'm now thinking the T.A. might be worth doing.

I know the obvious, some day I might end up getting shot at in some godforsaken desert etc but there's more I want to know before I do anything at all;

One of the main reasons for joining would be to get my class one without paying for it - I've done the training and failed a couple of tests (narrowly) but I can't afford to try again at the moment, would it be something they'd want me to do as a matter of course?

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can do as much time as you like, i.e. not just odd weekends, so if work was quiet (I'm an agency driver, it's as and when) I could work pretty much full time for the army right?

do you also get some of the perks the regulars get, like dental care and use of a gym etc? What about housing, do they offer anything - like cheap rent on a house on base?

They say you can leave whenever you want, what's the catch?

Other than that, any other info without the B/S would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The main problem with the TA is the people in it ( according to 2 friends who were in). They said that they are all up themselves and think they are high and mighty because they wear a uniform and play with the odd SA80 every now and again. I'm not saying everyone is like this or every battalion but it was enough to make them leave,they were both ex regulars so they weren't muppets who can't handle being told what to do. They just said that they were over the top, and they all thought they were chief.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
cheers HB, that sounds like something worth bearing in mind! Could well be different in the royal logistics corps though, I'd guess there's less emphasis on weapons handling at least - surely if you're only there one weekend a month or so they need you to be getting up to speed with what you're there to do?

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
No, the thought was more for job security than anything but at the moment I'm thinking about pro's and con's.

Not sure what to make of getting sent away, I'd miss people but apart from that I don't think it would bother me too much.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i would think it was the hard way round to get an hgv. and the TA are over in Afghanistan and Iraq more than some of the regular units, Chris ryan was TA !

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The TA pretty much do all jobs that the Regulars do, with all the Rules and Regulations that come with it. I for one appreciated what they brought to the table - not just from their Military Skill set but thier civilian experiences also.

Job Security is fine, but remember that whatever role you go for - Driver,Slop Jockey or Blanket Staker - First and foremost you will be a SOLDIER First.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
A T.A. soldier is a soldier first,then he gets his trade . If they don't think you are committed they won't give you a driving licence.
As a personal opinion I think you should go to a training night and speak to the recruiting team and a few serving soldiers as to be honest you don't seem to have much idea of what the T.A. is all about.
Think part time soldier, all the responsibility, all the rules and regs,all the training and chance of going to a war zone but none of the regular army perks (or whats left of them).
You will be expected to do every thing a full time soldier does as well as they do if you can't it's bye bye.The last thing a regular wants alongside him in a critical situation is an amateur with little commitment.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
A T.A. soldier is a soldier first,then he gets his trade . If they don't think you are committed they won't give you a driving licence.
As a personal opinion I think you should go to a training night and speak to the recruiting team and a few serving soldiers as to be honest you don't seem to have much idea of what the T.A. is all about.
Think part time soldier, all the responsibility, all the rules and regs,all the training and chance of going to a war zone but none of the regular army perks (or whats left of them).
You will be expected to do every thing a full time soldier does as well as they do if you can't it's bye bye.The last thing a regular wants alongside him in a critical situation is an amateur with little commitment.

Good Advice...........;)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
noo, you're getting me a bit wrong here fellas, I understand foremost I'd be a soldier, and probably a pretty good one, I'm relatively fit, spent half my life on rifle ranges and would be ok with the training etc.

To kinda re-phrase this a bit, the class 1's not the only reason. The whole point was it would give me work, yes I'm happy to do the soldiering too though I'd imagine when I was working a decent amount of time would be spent either doing a chosen trade or some form of training regarding said trade - or is that completely wrong?

No, it wouldn't be my first choice but needs must as they say. Hence the question, (the long and short of it) "what's in it for me" i.e. to spend a few years, generally peeved in a wet cold ditch trying to prove I'm up to the job wouldn't be very funny if I came out with nothing much to show for it and I'd had no real advantages while I was doing it, there's class2 jobs I could get - bin man, handballing 8tonnes of frozen turkeys etc so I could earn money doing either, the thought was even if I'm not all that keen on it, with a few perks it might be more appealing than a bad civilian job.

You could say that's no real commitment, I'm affraid I'd call it realistic. If the periferal hit the fan and I'd been shown where to shoot, what to do etc, trust me I'd put everything I'd got into shooting back and getting it right - but to me it's a job, (even if I am trying to save lives and my own with the nasty end of a rifle) you don't have to be "army barmy" to be good at something you've been taught to do, you never know - after a while I may well be wondering why I didn't sign up sooner - there's only one way to find out.

It's only a thought at the moment, I just wanted a bit of info without the army's recruitment testicular talk.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
just add a quick point, DON'T join if you can't stand the idea of going to war, the T.A aren't the home guard anymore, a good amount have gone to war already. Just thought you ought to know.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
To kinda re-phrase this a bit, the class 1's not the only reason. The whole point was it would give me work, yes I'm happy to do the soldiering too though I'd imagine when I was working a decent amount of time would be spent either doing a chosen trade or some form of training regarding said trade - or is that completely wrong?

Yes,,,,,,,, the best part of your time in any theatre of war is staying alive its not a good route as a modern apprentice as said before your primary aim is soldiering not driver, cook,medic,its as a soldier and the the role of a soldier is as .........defined in the regs of the MOD

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Ok this may sound harsh and I know where you are coming from. But if you don't buy into the whole package of soldier and tradesman wholeheartedly don't waste your time or theirs.
On the other hand if you go in with eyes and mind open you may find you like it.
Jon R.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The Royal Logistic Corp, are only at Grantham, why not phone them, or drop in, its only 30 minutes for you from Lincoln.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Right, i joined the TA 6 months ago. I'm an ex-reg (came out 20 years ago) and decided after bumming around civvie street all that time with cak jobs etc, i needed and wanted the uniform back regardless of where i'll be sent to.

I will warn you though, it is a long process, alot easier to get into the regular army. The best thing for you to do is visit your local TA barracks. Do not listen to anyone who isn't/hasn't/ or no intention of ever joining up.
Some TA units are up their own arses. The unit i'm currently joining share the barracks with an infantry unit and most of them are snot-nosed jockeys with an ego problem so be warned it is there.
The same can be said of regular army units.

So to sum up, find your local units, see what they do and visit them. It's usually one night a week and some weekends after you've finished your 7 weekends basic (one weekend is the selection weekend)

If you want to know more from someone who is joining then give me a pm.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You are more likely than not to be operationally deployed. This will either mean hot and sandy or may be backfilling in Germany or the UK. The Army is a job but it's also a calling. You don't come across as someone who wants to be in the Army because that's what you want to do, rather "it's a secure job I'll do that". If you came to my interview board you wouldn't get a job offer. During G1 I worked alongside TA soldiers who apart from being a bit older (I was 21 at the time) were no different to us regs. Several stayed and and became regs.

You will be subject to military law 24/7 whether or not "working" for the Army. If you don't want to go to "war" don't join. If you are not 100% committed to the Army- don't join. If you are able to supply the necessary goods and WANT it- do it. IMO it was the best 9 yrs of my life.

I left thinking life was better outside. It wasn't. I got injured and couldn't get back in- gutted. Good luck.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I've been in for a number of years and am glad I joined! You'll only get out what you put in so looking at it as just a source of income is the wrong reason to join, as is joining just to get a licence! You'll also be restricted to a maximum of around 100 days training per year so you can't just do it to make up your money. also yes your chances of getting sent somewhere sunny is now better than ever although "at the moment" it is all done on a voluntary basis.
You won't get access to regular benefits such as gym,dental and medical and as for a subsidised house I wish!!!!
Colin

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
The main problem with the TA is the people in it ( according to 2 friends who were in). They said that they are all up themselves and think they are high and mighty because they wear a uniform and play with the odd SA80 every now and again. I'm not saying everyone is like this or every battalion but it was enough to make them leave,they were both ex regulars so they weren't muppets who can't handle being told what to do. They just said that they were over the top, and they all thought they were chief.

That may have been the case in the past but with TA's current deployment commitments alongside the regular army I am sure that the Walter Mitty types either get weedled out during training or dont apply in the first place. I was in the TA in my teens and had a right laugh. Speak to Phil 562 if you havent done so already as he is an officer in the Royal Logistical Corps and has recently been on deployment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE