The old Britishblades forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I used to be Scoutmaster joined in 2007 I think.
I always wanted a Penillion knife myself.
I have copies of some of the tutorial threads too including photos.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
This is the only site I check in on and was the first but do miss BB , nice to see a few of the names popping up , BB really did showcase British talent and brought some good guys on such a shame there's nowhere to follow them now.

Reactions: Nice65 and Essexman

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Lovely thread. :)

I do miss BB. I am looking for a little carbon steel knife. Posted in a bunch of places and got some nice replies. But on BB I’d have had four offers to run one up by now.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
A long term ex BB-er me.
I just joined EM towards the end of last year and it seems to be settling down nicely at the moment. Chui is doing a great job with it.
Makers are starting to come back.
Two Legends by the names of shing and penillon just resurfaced too

Reactions: Essexman

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A long term ex BB-er me.
I just joined EM towards the end of last year and it seems to be settling down nicely at the moment. Chui is doing a great job with it.

I thought Mik, Pennillion had shuffled off his mortal coil a few years ago? Complete genius and madman, he really turned handle modification into art.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I thought Mik, Pennillion had shuffled off his mortal coil a few years ago? Complete genius and madman, he really turned handle modification into art.
His Mums not at all well and hes still suffering with his arthritis and eyesight but fair play he found us at EM and is finding new motivation to get back into it despite it all. Hes still been quietly modding and some of his rustic creations are outstanding

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
A long term ex BB-er me.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here regarding EM.

I joined as BB disappeared, and initially, it was a great place to be. Sad to say, but its now a shadow of its former self. Lots of makers left, as did members, and even though we are now years down the line, there is still no answer as to what exactly happened. Threads asking for updates/clarity are locked, with the OP's being accused of 'stirring it all up' when all they are asking for is come transparency. I got tired of hearing we are waiting on the auditor and I rarely use EM anymore as a result. I am not alone.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Occasionally I go there to find someone's contact details, but otherwise no. I can't get with everyone calling each other Sir, and generally discoursing as if they've stepped out of a restoration comedy.

But, you are right, juliojordio, mainly it's the the financial part. It does leave a strong smell of fish.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here regarding EM.

It’s because we’re polite, cross forum discussion soon turns into cross forum bashing. A few here are ex BB mods and know what happened, discussion would be pointless and regarded as sour grapes when in fact none of us has an axe to grind. There’s been plenty of discussion, but not here on Tony’s and all the BCUK members forum on the public page. The lack of discussion is perhaps more telling? Seeing a few old names and characters in this thread is brilliant, about all I want from the legacy, it’s good to hear from a few of you. :)

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I agree, in contemplation, its clear why it isn't discussed much here and rightly so really. I've no axe to grind either, more just disappointed that EM didnt turn out to be a replacement BB as i and others had hoped.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
BB was a product of its time - before the days of other social media options - most makers and hobbiests use those these days

It also doesn't help that EM decided to close the forum to search engines so noone strays onto there while looking for something, liking what they see and then signing up

...as for the controversy we are in the middle of a pandemic don't you know....:D

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
BB was a product of its time - before the days of other social media options - most makers and hobbiests use those these days

It also doesn't help that EM decided to close the forum to search engines so noone strays onto there while looking for something, liking what they see and then signing up

Why would they do that ? Seems to me that they are missing out on a lot of possible subscriptions

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I believe it was because they didn't want just anyone reading what was being discussed. If you are a private forum you know who'ssigned up - to a degree atleast

Whether that was because of the controvery or because of the adult content (Knives) I realy couldn't say

I always felt EM was for a specific group of mates from the old BB days and if you didn't fit...

I left having always felt like an outsider

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I believe it was because they didn't want just anyone reading what was being discussed. If you are a private forum you know who'ssigned up - to a degree atleast

Whether that was because of the controvery or because of the adult content (Knives) I realy couldn't say

I always felt EM was for a specific group of mates from the old BB days and if you didn't fit...

I left having always felt like an outsider

I was not on EM early on but it seems OK now
I joined as the arguments were abating

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE