The NURSE who took the 'duchess' prank call found dead.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am a nurse and I can assure you this "prank" and the results has made us angry in a way I have never seen before
It is indicative of many things; not least the responsibility felt by the majority nurses for their actions and for people to start hoaxes with such professionals truly beggars belief
Its like throwing stones at fire engines. Only the guilty party here were supposedly entertaining people.
Oh how we laughed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was angry when I heard about their 'prank'. I thought the poor nurses involved would be the ones to suffer for their humour :sigh: and hoped that people would be gentle with them because I couldn't imagine them feeling anything but dreadful over the whole thing.
I didn't expect this though.

Deepest sympathies for her family, friends and colleagues.
Burning shame on those whose stupidity set the whole thing in progress.

M

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Its a very sad loss and a tragedy for her family.

I'm surprised though that the hospital does not appear to have a more robust protocol for screening calls - this the hospital that has royals as patients on a regular basis - I'd assume that there would be a rigorous screening to stop hoaxers and abusers, possibly including the use of a password. Its staggering that someone with such an awful accent appears to have been put straight through.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
What's upsetting me most is the talk on other social media platforms that she would have faced a humiliating disciplinary process as she clearly breached the NMC Code of Professional Conduct, and perhaps she felt the same way. However, as I understand it, she merely answered the telephone and transferred the call to the appropriate member of staff. Jacintha did nothing wrong as far as I can see as she didn't actually give out any information.

Such a waste and my thoughts are with her loved ones.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Those radio people should be thoroughly disgusted with themselves for even thinking of doing such a so called 'prank' and I do lay the blame at their feet for the loss of a life.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
A sad affair all round! I really feel for Jacintha's family. But it just goes to show what a sad world we live in where a Royal or any other celebrity cannot get any privacy in a time of illness. And I hope the pranksters feel horrified by what they have caused.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The absolute responsibility for this lies with the people who think that invading the privacy of a sick woman and trying to trap people into a humiliating set of circumstances is "funny". Petty, nasty and vindictive little people who try to abuse others to curry favour with the lowest form of life in the name of ratings.

I doubt they have a consicence or any form of morality - so I do hope the public opinion will be brought to bear on their muck raking employers - who have been in trouble with broadcast standards authorities before.

Even without this tragic outcome, the very best case was invasion of privacy of a new mother at risk of losing her baby and the public humiliation of under valued staff.

My comtempt for these wastes of skin knows no bounds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"..Its like throwing stones at fire engines..."

That was my thought at the time.

"to curry favour with the lowest form of life in the name of ratings..."

And that is the thing, there is a market out there for this kind of drivel it is a sad reflection on society that it takes a suicide for some people to engage what little brain they might have.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well we do not know until there is an inquest, whether it was this incident, or other personal troubles that contributed to her death, but I doubt if this recent incident helped, it could well have been the proverbial last straw. Whatever is the case, the behaviour of those "pranksters" is beneath contempt! A tragic waste.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
it is these type of people and there total disregard for other peoples feelings that make me think that i have very little faith in the human race and its future
regards dave

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm yet to find anyone who thought the actual prank remotely funny.

Tbh I thought it was against the law to impersonate the queen?

Still such a complete waste of life, I hope it stays with the 2 dj's for a long long time.

Even after the they got through to the nurse on the ward, I can't actually see what rules or harm was done as the nurse told the idiot that she was doing better and that she was currently resting.

I would like to think as a public figure if I enquired about her I would get exactly the same information.

Condolences to her family and friends

Leave only footprints take only memories

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I'm yet to find anyone who thought the actual prank remotely funny.

Snap most people I know, have said some variation of "Childish".

Tbh I thought it was against the law to impersonate the queen?

It was up untill the 30's I believe, but the rule was not really observed it was also illegal to do a impression of any living person not just the queen Jimmy Carr has it in a book I'll dig it out after I get some sleep (night shift).

Still such a complete waste of life, I hope it stays with the 2 dj's for a long long time.

Here is hoping, but I doubt it shock jocks like this tend to only qualify as human because pond scum can't prattle on needlessly.

Even after the they got through to the nurse on the ward, I can't actually see what rules or harm was done as the nurse told the idiot that she was doing better and that she was currently resting.

Well as it is medical info they have broken confidentiality laws, it would be like me calling your GP and asking how your $embarrassing illness is coming on, also she has broken the Data protection act. It's for clarity's sake like me calling your bank and asking for your current balance and the status of any current credit applications. Both are treated as serious breaches of privacy and depending on how serious they are can land you and your employer with a fine OR in the worst cases Jail time. I would also like to point out that this can be treated as fraud, Social engineering is starting to become a more common problem for service providers.

I would like to think as a public figure if I enquired about her I would get exactly the same information.

Nope sorry can't happen without a court order, in this case there might be some wiggle room for senior members of the royal family and possibly some government ministers, but I am inclined to believe they would not call a publicised number. This hospital is the main place for royal treatment and has been for a very long time so I would expect them to have a special number just for royal issues and some form of caller authentication.

By the way, I am just giving answers to your questions not being picky just helpful.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A well-known impersonater did an impression of William Hague when Hague was Leader of the Tories. He got put straight through to the then Prime Minister Tony Blair. Blair spotted the deception immediately and he, and the audience to the radio show had a chuckle. Probably most of the people posting on this topic would have smiled as well. The fact that a similar joke call had a tragic outcome does not make the perpetrators culpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE