The Next Schrade Extreme Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nice knife even beter to see it in full production :D

what is hte edge geometry from your drawing its a 3/4" to 1" saber grind but what thickness does it come down to at the start of the secondary bevel and what what angle (or hight ) is the secondary etc
did you getthe 7/32" thickness in production ??

im not keen on recurves either mainly cause they are a pain for me to grind :rolleyes:

but definatly looks a better job than the current offering for fixed blade
the folding saw looks interesting

ATB

Duncan

I would be proud of that blade as well. Since you are "in" with the company, can you get us a discount? ::wink wink:: Let them know my first "real" (non SAK) outdoor knife was a Shrade Cliphanger.

Well...I can get a pretty good price on them ....but I'm not sure about the laws concerning sending such a knife into the UK as a private individual. I don't want to go to jail here much less over there. It would take weeks for any treats from home to make it that far...and then they might not let me have them lol.

Nice knife even beter to see it in full production :D

what is hte edge geometry from your drawing its a 3/4" to 1" saber grind but what thickness does it come down to at the start of the secondary bevel and what what angle (or hight ) is the secondary etc
did you getthe 7/32" thickness in production ??

ATB

Duncan

Duncan I designed more through feel than numbers and I don't have the right tools handy to answer those questions. I'll have to stop by a metal shop I used to work at and borrow them for a few minutes one day soon.

Yes, It is in 7/32 I was wrong in posting it as 1/4. The prototype was done in 1/4 but the production knife actually is 7/32.

Brian

I really like the look of that blade :D

Me want one :red:

Thanks Spikey, glad you like.

Well...it's now on Youtube. the young man isn't the greatest chopper...nor does he have the greatest aim in this but...he does do a good job at illustrating the great heat treat :)

Review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0qPbRQxCd4&feature=related

Testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD5qLGnudFk

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Looks like a descent survival knife, but why choil/ricasso? I want as much of cutting edge as I can get on any knife. What is the price range on this knife?

Looks like a descent survival knife, but why choil/ricasso? I want as much of cutting edge as I can get on any knife. What is the price range on this knife?

Partly to allow choking up on the handle for a more secure grip in adverse conditions..muddy, bloody, cold or sore hands, and partly to facilitate quicker and easier extrication if the knife were to become hung up while employed in a CQC application.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I normally don't even look at "tactical' knives. But there's something oddly... sensible, about this design. I like it!

I,ve got one and i,m very pleased little review here
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94169

Thank you for your kind words Keel. Now you may see that my definition of a survival knife is a bit different from those who designed the weak hollow handled knives with the useless saws on the spines that went round in the 80's. What you did with that knife is one of the tasks that it was specifically designed for. I was trying to find the right mix of thickness, edge geometry, blade shape, blade length, comfort, and controllability to actually do the real tasks that would need to be done in a true extreme survival situation. with a handle shape and texture that would still work well for a soldier in all of the crappy environments and weather conditions one may find himself forced to work in, as well as in a CQC situation. I know it's not the knife for everyone...there is no one knife for everyone...but after spending some time working with it I do feel it will live up to the tasks it was designed for.

Once again thank you.

Brian

K

keel

Thank you for that nice reply brian. My reference to the 80,s survival knives was tongue in cheek:), i started back then with a Buck 184 and as a lad would have put my life on that knife, little did i know....however since then i,ve worked my way through most of these type of knives.....and it costed thousands :( .....but its been fun. I think a knew exactly where you were coming from with the design and thats why i wanted to give it a test it deserved which reflected well. With all the design features taken in to account and i must mention the sheath, one of the best thought out for a production one...AND you cant beat it for the price. Its a classic. mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mick,

Yes, I know what you mean...I've spent thousands on them over the years too. I got some reeeeaally good lessons in what survival truly entailed at a very early age. However it took some time and money to really what I really needed in such situations as far as cutting tools go. I learned in time that what was usually referred to as a survival knife was just a gimmick. There are a few high quality hollow handled knives out there but only a few and even most of those won't really handle as much abuse as I wanted my knife to handle. While I do clearly know that a survival knife is simply whatever knife you have on you when you find yourself in a "survival" situation...whether it be a box cutter, a kitchen paring knife, a sharp rock...what have you. I do know in advance when I am going into some rough terrain as do a lot of others out there. I'm not one for packing along an axe, and I don't care for machetes outside of the tropics so I like the opportunity to take along some knives a little more designed for rough tasks than a small folder is. Now I finally have one of the knives I have always wanted to have in the bush. Once again thank you for the great post and the great work. I love seeing a knife doing what it was meant to do.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE