The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Bushcraftsman, I agree with what you are saying BG doe's play up to the cameras but that's his job, but you can't take it away from him as he is trained to escape capture at all costs and survive short term rather than long term as for Everest, I have been away for the last three months to climb Everest until the disaster that saw 16 Sherpas killed by an avalanche, and as you may know all climbing has be cancelled for 2014, as for BG he is the youngest to ever climb Everest which was quite a challenge after breaking his back after a parachute jump that went badly wrong, but I do think the guy is good at what he does regardless of what others may think and I will be watching his latest show to see how 13 guys who as far as we know have had 'No Survival Training'? get on!!! one thing for sure he never gives up!

All the Best

Backpacker

He was once the youngest to summit - his record was broken.
I broke my neck playing rugby in my teens - and never knew about it for years!
To be fair - BG has proved very successful in his career ... but I still respect him about as much as I do some prominent and successful politicians :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm off to bed - I'm going to need a fair bit of Egyptian P.T. if I'm going to race Paul to the top of K2! :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
To be fair, BG was trained to "kill bad people and steal their s**t", as the morale patch says, and then get away with most of your bits still attached, rather than a bushcraft upbringing . (Like Sir Ran Fiennes, except Ran got asked to leave after blowing up the set of Dr Doolittle)

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
No worries Barbie. My point is nobody is in a position to judge how difficult something is until they have done it themselves. I accept there are more challenging climbs than Everest but its still a great achievement.

But you felt you had to use absurdity because I pointed out that there were more challenging summits?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What's wrong with a little absurdity now and then? I find it can often be a very efficaceous medicine when used well :)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
On the bow drill video at 39 seconds, the german commentator says he's s**t at fire making, how rude. Ps I believe Ran Fiens got kicked out of the SAS for pinching the explosives and detonators and not for the act of blowing up the Dr. Dolittle set which was considered a fair enough act. :)

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
To be fair, BG was trained to "kill bad people and steal their s**t", as the morale patch says, and then get away with most of your bits still attached, rather than a bushcraft upbringing.

I thought that Grylls was TA? I'm sure that in terms of physical fitness he's way out of my league. I don't think he could survive a week in a hotel with fewer than 3 stars...and he has all the characteristics of someone I wouldn't want on an expedition - in fact he comes across as the sort of person that gives outdoor pursuits instructors sleepless nights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE