The cost.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Daily. Madam seems to have nabbed my Seiko 5 Military Auto, so I upped to this Chrono. Built to last.

68-DFD91-B-AD0-B-44-C0-9-EF2-BC50-A1689-CD9.jpg

Reactions: santaman2000

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I know that I will prob be shot down in flames for saying this but one of best mates runs secondhand watch dealership in Bond Street. He has said repeatedly that you must only invest in a Rolex if you want the value to hold and it to be used as 'currency' in the future. Me, being the prepper I am, I promptly bought a Cartier for £2,000 (and I wear it everyday) holding out for that time when I hope to be able to swap it for the last remaining billycan of SP95 to get the hell outta the place in my Fiat 500 after the apocalypse, hoping there are no big ruts in the road, cos I don't want to scratch the bumper.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As a rule, I don't take off my Seiko wrist watch ( dual display, 8 functions).
It's old like me. Unlike me, it's had O-rings and corroded guts replaced twice (salt water).
I carry a Brunton eclipse compass (prototype) and a map. GPS is too unreliable.

Very good old clothes go soft. They are full of experiences, been with me for decades.
The fabrics are durable, patches are cheap. Might seem awful expensive in the beginning
but after 15 years, they feel so good to wear.
One insulated parka became a ghillie coat for -15C shoots with 3D leafage and break-up camo paint.

Reactions: Janne

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I think a lot of people buy the watch because they want it, saying it holds or increases value is probably more to justify its cost.
That’s what I tell the wife anyway.

I’ve witnessed many a house clearance where whole collections are unearthed, either the owner died suddenly or they couldn’t bring themselves to sell.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
When I'm off in the woods,I wear this,
RatnikWristWatch3-425x410.jpg

RatnikWristWatch2-1250x1000.jpg

A proper military spec, not the "tourist" model. Apparently they'll survive a hit from a 9mm shell from 15 meters, operate from -100 to + 100°c and survive thermo nuclear electric pulses.

Spec should cover my activity then.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

. Apparently they'll survive a hit from a 9mm shell from 15 meters, operate from -100 to + 100°c and survive thermo nuclear electric pulses.

Just, unless you engage in Extreme Bushcrafting.
:)

Like the protection!

My watch when I travel is a Sinn U2. Dual time is useful.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
RatnikWristWatch3-425x410.jpg

RatnikWristWatch2-1250x1000.jpg

A proper military spec, not the "tourist" model. Apparently they'll survive a hit from a 9mm shell from 15 meters, operate from -100 to + 100°c and survive thermo nuclear electric pulses.

That looks alright. Why’s the crown on the left?

I’m lucky I haven’t caught the watch bug. I like my Seiko, but I only have the 5 Auto and the Mili Chrono. Both give me a simplistic pleasure as they’re good looking (to me), practical, reliable, and well built. Although I’ll take it off to rescue bits of rubble that slid down my wall cavity, I’m not worried to just have them accompany me in life.

Clothes the same. I buy decent stuff, look after it carefully to start with. It gradually wears in and looks it too, then like my old Ventile (bought 02/2010), it’ll live in the back of the car, or rucksack bottom and get used to sit on for a brew or give an extra layer when needed.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
That looks alright. Why’s the crown on the left?

Apparently because the designers reckoned it was better for battlefield conditions, no snagging on clothing when pulling back sleeves for a look, or getting caught in other equipment. It's a modified Vostok 060634 case, and 2416 movement for anyone that's interested. I used a Vostok manual wind Navy issue diver since 1992 without any issues, it cost me £14. This one came as a return favour from a friend.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When time keeping is crucial, you can not afford to risk the watch to be accidentally set to a different time.
So either the crown in a different position, or a screw down crown.

Or you wear it on your right arm.

I got the watch virus 30+ years ago. Thankfully, before I got married.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Apparently because the designers reckoned it was better for battlefield conditions, no snagging on clothing when pulling back sleeves for a look, or getting caught in other equipment. It's a modified Vostok 060634 case, and 2416 movement for anyone that's interested. I used a Vostok manual wind Navy issue diver since 1992 without any issues, it cost me £14. This one came as a return favour from a friend.

That makes sense, I’m forever starting the stopwatch on my Seiko by reaching deep into a 5.11 trouser pocket. More so now I’m temporarily on crutches, I’m catching the arm loop. Be new battery time before I know it with the second counter whizzing round day and night.

Oh, your date’s wrong, it’s the 21st. :p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How can you not to wear one?
Time is important, even if you are fully retired.
Or not?

Also, a piece of man jewellery.
Us without tatoos or other body modifications, need something to stand out.....
:)
Sorta agree. That said, I haven’t worn one in years (seems odd because I started wearing a watch daily waaaay back when I was about 9 years old) My cell phone replaced it for telling time. Yeh, I like the idea of the men’s jewelry aspect but it’s so difficult for me to find one with a big enough band to fit other than the relatively ugly fabric types. Those are fine for the woods but not really what I’d call “jewelry” quality. I do have a couple of pocket watches I use for that now.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You made sone fantastic pocket watches in the US back in the old days.
I have a couple Hamiltons, some Railroad grade, some made for the US Navy.
The Swiss copied you.
I don’t have anything that quality. Mine are much cheaper versions. Still quite accurate with modern technology though.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
There are days, though, when I carry a wind-up pocket watch. It's only a cheap Chinese one, but I thought that would be a good way to see if I would get used to taking a watch out to look at the time, rather than looking at a wristwatch. And it turns out to keep good time.

Many of my friends don't wear a wristwatch, but use their phones instead...Pocket watches with 5" screens.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I’ve used Seiko for years, I have a cheap Timex that I used for casual.
I was issued a quartz watch to go in the jungle and it died on day 1. So as soon as I got back I went to the Naath and bought an Automatic Seiko Divers watch, which has been every where with me since then, I upgraded it 18 years ago with a Kinetic, but still wore the divers watch for work and now when I go out with the Scouts.
I have a Garmin vivosport which I like as it measures all sorts of things that I never knew I needed to be monitored.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE