My newest one...the 1-0

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got this knife some days back and have finally gotten a couple of chances…or rather I made a couple...to check it out yesterday. This knife is very similar to the Warthorn design having the same type guard, but with a little of weight trimmed away here and there and a bit smaller with shorter handle and blade. I have given this one the name "1-0". The blade on this one measures 5 5/8" from where the spine meets the handle to the tip, and the handle measures 5 3/8 from the end of the tang extension to where the handle meets the spine.
IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5511.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

I decided to put it through a couple of tests involving two things I do often; Firecraft, and cooking.
The in experiments with the last design I learned that I liked how the slanted guard and scalloped spine worked really well for scraping fatwood fuzz. So I definitely wanted that feature in this one.
IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

With that fuzz and some thin shavings the razor sharp edge made easy…...
IMG_5774.jpg

and a flew split pieces of fatwood…...
IMG_5799.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

And I had a great start to a fire.
IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5791.jpg

Why fatwood makes a poor cooking fuel, but a great distress signal fire if it's handy. This is just a few small pieces... picture a couple dozen stumps of this stuff split apart and burning good.

Then last night I made some Mutton hash to see how it handled cooking. Now…my potato peeling isn't the greatest with any knife because I seldom peel my potatoes and when I do it's not with a knife. I thought it did ok and would do better in the hands of someone more familiar with the task.
IMG_5807.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5832.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

and here are a few pictures from working with the 1-0 a little earlier this evening. I wanted to burn the rust out some old cast-iron skillets I found so I wanted some good hot coals.

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

Chopping and splitting some well seasoned apple wood was a good way to check the toughness of this little knife.

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

For those of you who are wondering about the name... I call this knife the 1-0 (one-zero) in memory of some old friends to whom I feel I owe my being alive. These two men are known to me only as Pete and Dave, I was 11 when I met them and their last names…if I ever even knew them…are now lost from my memory. The entire story of my time of hanging out with these two guys is a three-and-a-half-years-long story which has no place being recounted here…just enough to explain the 1-0 nomenclature.

I first met Pete and Dave in Dallas Texas in the later 1970's at a lounge where my mother was head bartender. My stepfather had become quite a jerk over the last couple of years (later learned it was a cocaine addiction) and Pete and Dave were friends of my mother who became like uncles to me. They would take me on weekend hiking trips during the school year and in the summers for some week long camping trips. We would hike in to places with minimal gear and make camp out of whatever we could scrounge together…something these two guys were masters at. They taught me that survival was more about using ones wit more so than a prescribed set of "how-to's". We played games that took hide and seek, and capture the flag to previously unimagined levels, and I learned to eat things that I had previously never considered as a food source. At night sitting around the fire we would just sit and talk, they would talk about far away places, towns with strange names, and a culture with a diet nothing like mine. I think that to Pete and Dave these trips were just to get me away from my stepfather for a while and give me a break from his abuse and to get away from people for a while themselves. At the time they had no idea just how well they were preparing me for a very dark time to come…then again sometimes I can't help but wonder if just maybe they did have an idea. A year later, after leaving Dallas, my mother and stepfather separated and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Then one night Floyd returned, kicked in the door, and opened fire. It's all sort of blurry now….mainly I just remember the pops and flashes of the beginning and then coming out of shock talking to strangers outside sitting under the apple tree, watching the surrealistic scene of multi-colored flashing lights, and watching the bodies being carried out on gurneys. Then some time later walking back into the house to find the white walls of our kitchen completely redecorated and a lot of my former stepfather on the walls of my bedroom. Thus at the age of fifteen began a very long four year journey through some very dark places. Along the way it would be not only my stubbornness, but the teachings of Pete and Dave, and the grace of some higher power that would allow me to survive many things I that to this day I still have trouble believing I made it through.

On more than one occasion I heard from both Pete and Dave how it was the teachings and actions of men who bore the designation "1-0" that saved their asses in some very grave situations and how those men were the ones they had the most respect for. It was the teachings of Pete and Dave that allowed me to overcome many great obstacles and survive some very dark places. For me these two men were my "1-0's", and so I name this knife in their memory.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I love the way you describe these things as SMALL knives.They look huge to me, but obviously do the job well.
Reading the accompanying story was a bit harsh, no wonder you enjoy your 'woods time'

I love the way you describe these things as SMALL knives.They look huge to me, but obviously do the job well.
Reading the accompanying story was a bit harsh, no wonder you enjoy your 'woods time'

Well...small is a relative term. This knife is MUCH smaller than the bowie knife I used to roam these woods with, or the machete I used to carry in the swamps of the southern U.S. . It's only an inch longer than my paring knife. Because I have over time developed sort of a minimalist attitude where I expect my one knife to do ALL of my cutting tasks, I am demanding of my kinves and expect a lot from them and with that expectation in mind...this is a small knife. I keep working my way smaller and smaller. While I have learned several things here, and can do more with a three inch blade than I first realized...going from a 6.5 inch fixed blade to 3.5 inches in one jump was just too quick to be done under less than have-no-choice circumstances. So I backed up a little to 5.5 for a while. I do have a 4.5 " knife based loosely on the bushcraft idea in the works of being made

Yeah, people tend to understand my thinking a little better once they know the story and grasp why I am the way I am. You only heard the begining...it got worse from there.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Good to hear the story behind the name.

Great looking knife with some cool features!

Is that a final option knife peeping out of the sheath??

Drew

interesting shape are the blade cut outs for grip ?
it looks like a thumb ramp and finger grip but the guard looks like its in the way

ATB

Duncan

The lower cut-out is because I have a habit I've had for so long it has become muscle memory that I can't break....reaching my forefinger around the guard when at rest while working with the knife...it allows me to relax my grip and so reduces fatigue during long periods of working with the knife. The upper cut-out I use for a scraper for fatwood fuzz and the upper guard being slanted actually serves as a thumb ramp. The upper guard also allows for the retention strap that I wanted to never come in contact with the edge of the blade.

Knife looks great, and your naming it after your 1-0s was a lovely idea :grouphug:

Thanks Dee

Good to hear the story behind the name.

Great looking knife with some cool features!

Is that a final option knife peeping out of the sheath??

Drew

Thanks, glad you like the knife.

Actually that is something new that we are developing...I am still doing research, It's a pretty cool little tool and you'll see more on it soon I promise.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a very nice nife. Looks bomb proof :cool:

So is the design finished? or are there more tweaks before knocking up 2 for your old mates..

Thats a very nice nife. Looks bomb proof :cool:

So is the design finished? or are there more tweaks before knocking up 2 for your old mates..

Thanks you. I like the simple, yet very functional design. Still checking for needed tweaks, but I haven't come up with any yet. Here are a couple of pics I took when I was checking out the 1-0 earlier this evening, I liked the lighting at sunset.

Fuzz sticks.
IMG_5883.jpg

And playing with some dried green bamboo. The smaller two are part of a series of push cuts in a smaller piece, The larger ones were chopped and a couple of the longer cuts were cleaned up with a second cut at the tip. So far I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
IMG_5886.jpg

interesting shape are the blade cut outs for grip ?
it looks like a thumb ramp and finger grip but the guard looks like its in the way

ATB

Duncan

Here are a few more pics.

If you happen to prefer the factory striker for you firesteel the pouch works well for that too. I'd just need to tie a lanyard on it as it will slide down below the top of this one.
IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

As for the upper guard getting in my way…it really doesn't get in my way and having the retention strap I want was worth a little adapting.
IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Cracking knife there Mistwalker, looks like it does a variety of jobs well and a great story aswell. Heart warming aswell as heart rending.
Glad everything's good for you now.

Cracking knife there Mistwalker, looks like it does a variety of jobs well and a great story aswell. Heart warming aswell as heart rending.
Glad everything's good for you now.

Thank you, I'm very glad you like the design. I was going more for function than form...function will do you much better in the bush than "pretty" will... but I personally find it aesthetically pleasing as well.

Thank you there as well. Things turned out much better than I imagined they would back then. Sometimes I sit and just I look around at my daughters and my wife and it all seems like just a distant dark dream....but then a walk across the ridge to where I lived as a teen....or a walk through certain parts of down town is all it takes to remind me that it is a distant reality....for me anyway, not so distant for some living it now.

If there was one lesson I feel was best learned from all that happened it was to try to remember to truly appreciate the things you have...for without warning they can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Some pictures I took earlier this evening. This was not meant to be a fuzz stick but just to show that Yes...a convex edge will cut fine, curly fuzzies. You just may have to adapt yourself to it. To me the other benefits of the knifes size, shape and thickness are worth the adapting.No Fatwood or anything special, just fuzzies from a dead piece of pine limb,(and it rained yesterday and last night), and some sparks from a firesteel.

IMG_5957Cropped.jpg

ForMark-1.jpg

ForMark-2.jpg

ForMark-3.jpg

Bryan Breeden

Jun 28, 2009
Fairbury, Ne. USA
Hi all,

Mistwalker, very cool pics and the story , Wow.. So terrible about your Mom and step dad, I sure am glad to know that you met Pete and Dave and that they took you under the wings so to speak and helped in your learning of the outdoors.

Take care all,

Bryan

Here are a few pics I thought I'd show. They tell a couple of stories. The Bamboo fire saw is something I have been working on lately....so far a good couple of coals and some good smoke but no flame yet. Seems the timing of my free time and and the timing of the rains have been in complete sync lately. I'll get there eventually.

Anyway prep for this is something that requires some cutting, splitting, whittling on, and scraping of some hard bamboo. So I have tried it with different knives at different times to see how they did with it. The last few times I've just done it on a whim, in a hurry, and with the knife I had on my side at the time....which has been the 1-0.

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

When you take into account; all of the fatwood shavings in firecraft I've done checking out the knife, the plain pine I've whittled on, the apple wood I've chopped and split, a birch limb I chopped through, food I've cut up....I think the edge, while not as sharp as it came, and yes still factory, is holding up pretty well.

IMG_5989.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE