Why even Ray Mears dies alone in the subarctic -- part 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Oops, forgot the fish trap part, my bad. The combo shotgun, rifle is a good idea too. I wasn't trying to suggest a gun calibre really, just that something capable is required. And a .22 is always good.

Hoodoo, I prolly shoulda said cheeky, being a British forum... :)
And how nice of you to mention everyone getting moose when there's nowhere to buy tags here. I gotta go out of town to get one, and I haven't been able to yet. :( Funny how often you see moose when you don't have a tag... Well, maybe funny isn't the best word... The local fellers are saying the woods behind town are thick with 'em right now. I have seen quite a few out on the river as well.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Oops, forgot the fish trap part, my bad. The combo shotgun, rifle is a good idea too. I wasn't trying to suggest a gun calibre really, just that something capable is required. And a .22 is always good.

Hoodoo, I prolly shoulda said cheeky, being a British forum... :)
And how nice of you to mention everyone getting moose when there's nowhere to buy tags here. I gotta go out of town to get one, and I haven't been able to yet. :( Funny how often you see moose when you don't have a tag... Well, maybe funny isn't the best word... The local fellers are saying the woods behind town are thick with 'em right now. I have seen quite a few out on the river as well.

Well, I heard there ain't much law up in that area. You could just poach one. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought poaching meant different things across the Atlantic ?

Here it's just one for the pot, I kind of got the impression that wasn't how the North Americans saw it ? No ?

cheers,
Mary

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I thought poaching meant different things across the Atlantic ?

Here it's just one for the pot, I kind of got the impression that wasn't how the North Americans saw it ? No ?

cheers,
Mary

Across the pond here, poaching is illegal unless it's done to an egg. :lmao: And before some people get their knickers in a knot thinking I'm advocating illegal activity, my comment was a JOKE! Jimmy IS THE LAW in that area.:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
'Technically' I think poaching is illegal here too, certainly in England and Wales it is........is that true of the vermin species as well though ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
'Technically' I think poaching is illegal here too, certainly in England and Wales it is........is that true of the vermin species as well though ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Poaching is defined as taking wild animals illegally. Or soft boiling eggs. ;) Shooting vermin is called varmint hunting and there are state by state restrictions for them as well as game and fur bearing animals.

Not sure what the laws are in Canada.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Poaching is defined as taking wild animals illegally. Or soft boiling eggs. ;)

Not sure what the laws are in Canada.
Poaching is boiling an egg without the shell - same as here
Canadian Laws are mostly the same as here as we gave them to the Canuks.
Jimmy would have to arrest himself if he was poaching, thus ensuring 'the Mountie always gets his man';)

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
:lmao:
I tried it once and the motto holds true. No matter where I tried to hide, I kept finding myself. No worries though. I forgot to read myself my rights, so the judge threw it out.

Things are different now, than they were back when the Mad Trapper was caught. I think the new motto is going to be, "Mounties always get their man, and then get their paperwork in order."

The rules for varmints vary from Province to Province. Most places allow varmint shooting, as long as rules are followed, such as minimum distances from a road when shooting, etc.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Hmm, just re-read my post. Hope I didn't come off saucy. Certainly not my intent.

No offense taken. Sorry for not responding sooner, my son told me to check the site since he noticed this over the weekend. For my part, I was out hunting blacktail deer this weekend. More about that (it's relevant to the discussion) later.

I just basically mean that sometimes the sum of the parts isn't the same as the whole, cuz on paper, many would have died out in the woods here by starvation if they read this, yet they didn't..

FWIW, this is not a paper exercise in the slightest. In fact, the source of the kind of analysis I presented originally were inspired by real life (and real death). Analyzing calorie needs and calorie expenditure is something historians do to analyze things like the deaths of the Donner party, of the needs of Indian cultures and how anthropologists analyze ancient people.

In other words, the study of this is based on the real world. It's not abstract at all. Plus, this kind of analysis is exactly what people do when planning expeditions -- particularly difficult ones.

However, I think we're kind of talking about different things, but first a couple of notes on your comments...

Calories for hiking - 1500 for a 4 hour hike. This would be close if you were speed hiking or out for a jog, but if I burned 1500 calories hiking for that long, I would be much thinner.

Bear in mind I wasn't talking about an unloaded hike, I was talking about carrying a 30 pound load. And the numbers are the numbers are pretty much dead on. People study this stuff closely and measure it -- and it's averaged out for different terrains.

The range for backpacking goes from 400kcal per hour for very light loads to close to 700 for very heavy loads. I chose a nice middle ground.

You can search on the net and find plenty of support for my numbers. Here's one handy site that has collected lots of numbers: http://www.nutribase.com/exercala.htm (the numbers there are for 30 minutes)

With respect to your personal experience, if you were to backpack with a 30lb pack for 4 hours a day and eat no more than you do now, you would lose a little less than half a pound a day and if you did this for a full week you would lose about 3.5 pounds. Doesn't sound so surprising when you put it that way, does it?

...There are lots of edibles, especially berries....
That's good for a portion of the year, and even when I lived in Alaska (berry rich) the fact of the matter is that you couldn't count on them for continued sustenance -- plus they're mostly sugar, which is not what you need out there.
There's a good chance a bear will come right to you if you are drying fish. You may even get more meat than you want or need. One moose will last the winter, plus the hide can be used for clothing, footwear, etc., and other projects through the cold snaps to keep you busy.
OK, remember we're talking about someone alone in the wild here. There are a lot of mistaken assumptions in the quote above. Some people made similar statements in the thread about "Alone in the Wild.." -- "if Ed could have shot that moose he would have been OK the whole time..."

It's not true. In fact it's a happy hallucination. Take it from someone who has hunted moose.

Here's why: An adult bull moose weighs anywhere from 900 to 1500 pounds. Unless you've field dressed a moose in the wild, you have no idea how much work it is. Imagine working a 1200 pound carcass alone for a minute...

And typical hunters concern themselves only with field dressing and quartering the moose, letting the meat cool and packing it out (usually with help) to get to a processing plant or freezer as fast as possible.

Remember, we're talking hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat. It's hard to handle it alone.

Alone you've got deal with dressing it, skinning the moose, quartering, cooling the meat and then preserving it before it goes bad.

Before you can preserve it, you've got to do the butchering too. This is non-trivial on an animal as big as a moose.

You're not going to make 900 pounds of jerky -- not enough racks. So you've going to have to build a smokehouse -- more work! OK, so now you've going to build a smokehouse (an enclosed shelter big enough for all the meat and a fire) and then you're going to collect wood and make the fire and hang the meat... and you're going to do it all before the meat goes bad.

Not a chance. The native peoples work in teams -- there's that word again! -- when processing big game (moose, bison, very large elk) is because there's too much to do in too short a time. Alone in the wild, you're looking at 90% or more of the meat spoiling.

Shooting a moose isn't a solution unless you've got a group.

As someone who has killed plenty of moose, the idea of actually processing, butchering and preserving a whole moose alone in the wild makes me shudder. It's a fantasy -- you'll just watch the meat go to waste...

Much of what Proenneke did was ideal. He did have some resupplies, but with a few small changes, they were not necessary, but did help with the emotional and psychological components.

Not true. Proenneke's own diaries demonstrate that he got more than 50% of his core food from outside supplies.

And he wasn't foraging for the rest -- he had full and productive gardens (particularly in the later years). Anyone who has grown a garden in Alaska knows they can be incredibly productive in a short season. In the circumstances we're talking about, you don't live long enough to grow a garden and harvest the results...

And of course. Proenneke hunted -- but remember, his hunting situation was different. He had built a cold storage locker (in permafrost) and a smoke house and an elevated meat storage locker even before he moved in

In other words, he was fully set up to avoid just the scenario above of having to process everything in too short a time.

Plus there's this: Proenneke selected his site specifically after scouting for a good game area, good water, good fishing and he spent more than a year building his cabin (and not living there all year round) before he moved in.

So by the time Proenneke actually took up residence, he had a massive amount of the calorie burn already done -- and done under safe and well supplied circumstances. He spent a full two years preparing for residence.

And even then, more than half of Proenneke's food came from supplies. In other words, he actually proves the case -- under the absolutely best of circumstances with an established cabin and food storage capacity in a well studied area with plenty of game and lots of personal experience in the area -- Pronneke still would have starved without supplies.

Lastly there's this -- hunting is hard and unpredictable. I've been hunting since I was 10 or so and I've hunted all over the most game plentiful areas of Alaska when I lived there and guess what -- you can still come up empty handed.

This weekend, I went out to an area I know well to hunt blacktailed deer (I didn't get the draw on for mule deer this year). I know the game trails, I've scouted the area well and I've taken plenty of deer there. And I came up empty handed. The weather's too warm and the situation is odd, several other guys I saw were scratching their heads too..

See, that's not surprising to a hunter. You come home empty handed lots of times.

And that's the point -- if you are alone in the wild you minimize your chances and over time, you'll die up there.

ust my opinion, but I have many friends here who have gone out and done this in their lifetimes, with nary a glitch.

This is why I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about someone alone exposed completely to the wild in the subarctic for many months -- they die over time, simple as that.

When you're talking about your friends, I think you must be talking about people who are living in cabins off the land. Homesteading, whatever. Different circumstances entirely.

In Alaska, there are tons of top notch outdoorsmen and I don't know anyone who just picks up a little gear and wanders out in the bush and lives off of what they find for six months on their own.

I don't know any serious hunter with subarctic experience who would parachute into an area without resupplies and expect to walk back home in six months.

And no native peoples in the North American arctic or Nordic arctic do this alone either -- alone in the subarctic wilds you die over time. It's unavoidable.

No idea, but I do know it's the most efficient way of carrying and caring for those calories.
An anthropologist told me that the reason the Polynesians were so effective at long distance sea travel was simply because they were 'big' people :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

What a thread! Fascinating reading!

Toddy, there's another reason the polynesian people were so good at sea travel, I believe.
It's my understanding that they sent out several vessels, some of which made landfall somewhere hospitable to human life. I imagine some proportion of their success was down to the "weight of numbers" issue.

The late Eddie Aikau set out, with others, to add weight to a claimed historical polynesian ocean voyage and was lost in the process. He was one of Hawai'i's greatest ever watermen, standing on the shoulders of generations of Hawai'ian seafaring knowledge. Their boat, Hōkūleʻa, was swamped and capsized 5 hours out. After the situation worsened, Aikau attempted to paddle about 15 miles to Lānaʻi for help on his surf board. He was never seen again, though the rest of the crew was rescued by the US Coastguard.

Even with knowledge of the currents, the location of land and more besides (things the original polynesian pioneers wouldn't have had) things got out of hand. Of course, their ancient predecessors had no coastguard to aid them when things went wrong.

That's meant in no way to disagree with the idea a culturally "big" people would be advantaged in that respect, just to add a point.

However, neither point should take away from the polynesian mastery of sailing and navigation (in fact, if they'd been in this part of the world, multihulls, and not monohulls, would almost certainly be the norm for ocean travel). This idea that they saw so much success simply because they were big people seems to do a disservice to the navigation techniques they used which I believe were significantly more advanced than any of their peers in other parts of the world; especially when you compare the difference between the sheer size of landmass in relation to ocean in the Northern Hemisphere and the same in the Southern/Pacific where they were sailing.

Just thought I'd "talk story" a bit to illuminate the issue. :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Dogwood - While your right that butchering and skinning a moose is a team job, its worth remembering that such a job does not need to be done expertly, or without waste. a man in the wild alone would probably not bother skinning, gutting and butchering, but probably use an axe to take the back legs off with the skin on, and transport as much meat as possible from the carcass where it fell. The rest would have to be wasted or a few days work put into smoking the meat that could be salvaged. Ive no doubt Ed could have made a moose last at least a fortnight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do take your point, and it does seem a very reasonable one, but I can only reiterate the anthropologists comments..........and looking at modern Polynesians, they're inclined to be big.

A shame about the modern attempt, but modern people trying to immitate past events, even with research and careful attention to detail, seems to rarely succeed.
Our certain past was their very uncertain future......it makes a huge difference to outlook and endurance.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. This link to a research into obesity indicates that the BMI for Polynesians and Samoans needs to be adjusted since they are

"At higher BMI levels, Polynesians were significantly leaner than Europeans, implying the need for separate BMI definitions of overweight and obesity for Polynesians."

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v23/n11/abs/0801053a.html

Big people :)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Dogwood - While your right that butchering and skinning a moose is a team job, its worth remembering that such a job does not need to be done expertly, or without waste. a man in the wild alone would probably not bother skinning, gutting and butchering, but probably use an axe to take the back legs off with the skin on, and transport as much meat as possible from the carcass where it fell. The rest would have to be wasted or a few days work put into smoking the meat that could be salvaged. Ive no doubt Ed could have made a moose last at least a fortnight.

I agree. And a fortnight is about right. And with one quarter, some spoilage is likely.

But remember, what I was pointing out is the illusion that killing a moose supplies you for meat for months and months and saves your life.

It's true that in the modern world, a family of four can be supplied with meat for a full year from a moose -- but that's with freezers, etc. And even then field dressing and transporting a moose alone in the wild is tough -- if you don't have buddies, having a block and tackle and an ATV or boat is handy.... Boat hunting is common among Alaskan moose hunters, BTW.

Besides, alone in the wilds, having meat for a single fortnight doesn't change the general proposition that over time, you die alone in the subarctic.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
p.s. This link to a research into obesity indicates that the BMI for Polynesians and Samoans needs to be adjusted since they are

"At higher BMI levels, Polynesians were significantly leaner than Europeans, implying the need for separate BMI definitions of overweight and obesity for Polynesians."

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v23/n11/abs/0801053a.html

Big people :)

Toddy, I won't have time to read your link until later tonight -- but isn't it also true that traditional BMI calculations are complicated for Polynesians because they have significantly higher muscle mass that the general population?

I recall reading that somewhere and -- living among many Polynesians in the Bay Area -- I can attest to the fact they're exceedingly strong as a people.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have just realised that I may have inadvertantly opened a can of worms with racial stereotyping. It was totally unintended as such and I hold no regard for those who claim 'supremacy' .
I would acknowledge that the human cline demonstrates humanity in assorted forms and colours :D frequently within the same family :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Yeah, awesome rugby players :cool: :approve:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I have just realised that I may have inadvertantly opened a can of worms with racial stereotyping. It was totally unintended as such and I hold no regard for those who claim 'supremacy' .
I would acknowledge that the human cline demonstrates humanity in assorted forms and colours :D frequently within the same family :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Yeah, awesome rugby players :cool: :approve:

No worries, Polynesians are different physically because of the demands of their environments and it's been studied by anthropologists.

I just did a quick google on this issue to help my memory and there are a number of articles on this -- here's one:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Polynesian-Bodies-Why-Polynesian-Bodies-Build-Muscle-Better&id=1740585

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE