Conflicting views about bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
I've got along with an Opinel 6 for years thn bought my first Mora. Only now hav I bought what could be called a bushcraft knife (modest) - Mora Bushcraft Black. So all these years, pretty 'knifely-challenged', does neither deminish nor enhnce/highlight my skills/lack of skills.

If somebody bought me a custom Woodlore, I'd be overjoyed. In no way is the choice of knife a definition of a bushcrafter - imo.

If you want hand crafted beauty then that is a personal choice. I don't understand why the man is so upset.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not keen on Woodlores but I have a laminated Japanese blade. I dont spend much money on kit, but hey, I wanted to splurge out just once.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was speaking to a lady the other day and she was enquiring as to my hobbies. I mentioned Bushcraft and BCUK and the first words out of her mouth were "Oh is that all about killing animals?"
I went on to explain that yes a small amount of it sometimes went down that route but that there were far more conversations about conservation, sewing machines, beards and biscuits.
She didn't believe me at first but I tried to define what it was. to me at least and hopefully she left feeling changed about a subject she only had negative connotations of in her head.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I was speaking to a lady the other day and she was enquiring as to my hobbies. I mentioned Bushcraft and BCUK and the first words out of her mouth were "Oh is that all about killing animals?"
I went on to explain that yes a small amount of it sometimes went down that route but that there were far more conversations about conservation, sewing machines, beards and biscuits.
She didn't believe me at first but I tried to define what it was. to me at least and hopefully she left feeling changed about a subject she only had negative connotations of in her head.

I thought that was hunting..? lol

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Are you sure she's not getting confused with "Bush meat" :confused:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I find my days generally go a lot better if I don't read youtube comments. Ignore him, he's obviously got a screw loose somewhere.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE