The cost.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah Lidl and Aldi - my favourite shops... I get a lot of my stuff there, from tools to clothing (their merino socks and thermals are excellent) all for a very reasonable price :)

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Ah Lidl and Aldi - my favourite shops..(their merino socks and thermals are excellent) all for a very reasonable price :)

As is their returns/guarantee policy. Not that I've ever had to use it, but I've witnessed it in action at the checkout.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
il_794xN.1240306650_rhxl.jpg

These trousers are great - do you have a link for them? Quite fancy a pair myself. I could wear these all the time.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Reactions: Lou

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Most of my best outdoor clothes are just work gear anyway.
Hell, some of my best jackets are flouro Hi Viz stuff I wear when I'm putting a roof on.
I keep reading that this or that doesn't work because its man made fabric or whatever and sometimes find it a bit weird cos thats my wet weather work gear and works just fine.
One area where its not so good is the weight of the jackets and thats where its sometimes nice to have a very light multicam milsurp jacket with pit zips for breathability on the fells.
I'll avoid the "Bushcraft Uniform" like the plague, just because I'm stubborn that way.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I just spent 3 nights in Wales with a friend photographing wildlife (slept in a stone cottage but in sleeping bags) but otherwise were outside dawn to dusk.

We both wore very different clothes.

My friend wore north face coat, rab down gilet, Jack wolfskin trousers and some hiking type trainers. Branded T shirt and hoodie next to skin and some technical sock. Probably £500 worth of clothes and shoes

I wore a pair of brasher lined trousers (my only concession at labels), danish army surplus jacket (the dancam one), surplus heavy wool jumper, surplus wool under layer and a t shirt on top. Wore a breathable waterproof layer under my jacket and ex-raf goretex trousers. I wore proper leather hiking boots and surplus wool socks. Total cost around £200

I was noticeably warmer than my friend, he even went back early a couple of times as he was cold, not dangerously so but just a bit uncomfortable.

It’s not about labels and cost it’s about the materials and layering!

I am convinced he would have been warmer with a wool jumper and some surplus goretex trousers and wool socks - all cheaper togethwr than the down waistcoat he wore!l which didn’t seem to confer that much benefit, although i concede he would likely have been colder without it at all.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What is he doing in a down jacket that doesnt keep him warm?

Mine is toasty.

If a down jacket isnt doing its job, then something is seriously wrong with it. Down is pretty much the ultimate insulation.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You'd think so, but I bought one for HWMBLT and it's not. He's warmer in the aran jumper I knitted for him....and the jumper is so ancient now that it's felted and bomb proof while the down jacket's got a really thin outer layer that snagged and leaked down first time out. Tiny wee hole and a right pain to repair.

We have a really old, like over forty years old 'puffa' jacket that was de rigeur for the white water canoeists trying to warm up all those years ago. It's still sound, still warm, but it's enormous; we can both get into that jacket :D
It's got a bright red rip stop outer, and it is ripstop too, good stuff, not this modern fragile material. We hang onto it incase the Arctic winter descends upon us :rolleyes:

M

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
What I hope this thread has done is perhaps highlight the fact that Bushcraft can be enjoyed without the expense. A lot of pastimes (in my opinion) have been almost ruined by consumerism, and kidology. When I see shops in the UK'S most expensive rated retail areas selling "dreams" with rediculous price tags, I think we've lost our way a little. A friend copied a television consumer program for me, where they had some boffins, with the necessary equipment, fully test waterproof jackets. All the big names, and some cheap. The brand that came out tops would have been sneered at. When ever I'm out and about, people will always tell you what you should be wearing. I used to always wear black high lacing Lundhags, then Altberg Hoggs. Apparently I should save up and buy proper boots, instead of "army surplus". I'm off to the woods today in a new pair of £12 Tesco combats. It's going to be sheer torture you know. These trousers don't have "articulated knees".

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I love to go with natural fibres @MrEd ! @treadlightly did an experiment a few years ago where he was only wearing natural fibres wool, cotton, silk, leather etc. outdoors. I'm not sure how he got on with it but he was very committed at the time, I remember. I am all in favour of paying more for clothes that are natural rather than manmade - paying for the materials NOT the label, although I think one's style of bushcrafting def. has to change in accordance with the materials. i.e. if you have a cotton canvas tent you are going to be compromised on weight when hiking. Same with clothes that maybe more unwieldy because they are heavier or trap water more easily in rain etc. I'm sure @Wayland would agree though there is something very romantic and nostalgic about using material from 'the past', even though we could find more convenient, cheaper synthetic materials to replace them I like the idea of a challenge.

Hemp is another material to consider.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I got my first swanndri shirt mail order from the Survival Aids catalogue (anyone remember that). Far superior to the current Chinese made ones. I also had some fjallraven trousers before they became a fashion brand. The quality was ok but the fit was a bit strange so I sold them on. These days it's german army moleskins in summer because cotton breathes, with craghoppers kiwi shirts. And Russian gorkas in autumn and winter with wool layers. I do have an expensive Hilltrek ventile jacket but that's an investment item (I have an old Hilltrek Braemar smock that's proven indestructible). I now have a bit more disposable income to spend on gear, so I don't mind paying for stuff that'll last.
Some people like to buy into an image and there's nothing wrong with that. And hopefully forums like this one help to inform people new to bushcraft and the outdoors that it can be a cheap and very rewarding pastime, not an exclusive club that you have to "buy" membership to.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can't decide which is worse.
Snobbery,
or inverse snobbery!

Assuming that was a serious comment, I don't think there is any inverse snobbery going on here. What people are pointing out is that it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money to enjoy the outdoors and wilderness living. If you want all the latest gear and trendy kit by all means go and get it but, as has been said, you won't necessarily be getting anything that will do a better job.

I don't buy a badge, I buy a function. That's what people do when they are buying for an organisation so why not for oneself?

Reactions: Lou

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is all about being comfortable, and happy.
For me, function is what is by far the most important, even in such easy and civilized country/climate as UK.
I like to wear well worn M&S loose fit moleskin trousers when out enjoying some fresh air. Soft.
Burn a hole - OK, just some wabi-sabi!
I like Mora knives not because of anti snobbery. I like them because of the 100% perfect function. Use. Abuse. Lose. Buy new.
I also own a flock of Fallkniven knives with a damascener blades.
Would I use them 'in anger' ? No.
Is that snobbery? No. I collect.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I only have experience from UK and Scandinavia.
Scandinavia is like UK, but much colder. Get wet and you have a much shorter time until hypothermia sets in;
( And the winters are no fun)
I take UK, please!

Reactions: Herman30

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I follow the people who have to work outdoors in any season.
They usually get off when it's as bad as -20C and colder (saw mills are not heated).
I'm far better dressed, for function as Broch says, than ever in my life.
I dress like the working people do. I'm happy to be so comfortable.

My first Carhartt coat is pushing 20 years old. I had the cuffs leather-trimmed.
I patched some holes, worn spots really, not bullet holes.. There's hardly any blood on it.

I think that's the economy = maybe more up front but durability for the long haul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE