The complete Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
More of a thought then anything else, but I thought I would bounce it into the public arena.

As Bushcraft is such a wide ranging topic and even with a lifetimes worth of study no one can every be excellent at everything, so with this in what what do you all think are the key attributes in making the complete Bushcrafter?
( First person to say Ray Mears gets a bash with a throwing club!)

I have my own ideas but lets see what everyone else comes up with :D

happy pondering
Garry

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
One point would be someone who really cares about the environment and nature in general, i.e not littering would be a start.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Razorstrop said:
More of a thought then anything else, but I thought I would bounce it into the public arena.

As Bushcraft is such a wide ranging topic and even with a lifetimes worth of study no one can every be excellent at everything, so with this in what what do you all think are the key attributes in making the complete Bushcrafter?
( First person to say Ray Mears gets a bash with a throwing club!)

I have my own ideas but lets see what everyone else comes up with :D

happy pondering
Garry

As you used the words "complete then " I would say for " me" its:

Staying out in the woods / bush feeling confident and at home for any length of time. Not needing anyone or anything. If a need arises I have learned to deal with it fixing it myself, gathering it myself, hunting myself or being my own company without getting nuts or bored. Being free from the soft little devil in me who likes comfort and is blind to the simple beauty of the nature surrounding me. I am not there yet mate but I am on the path of my "complete Bushcrafter being". ;)

cheers
Abbe

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm with Abbe on this one - the ability to live for an indefinite time in "the wilds" with as little recourse to mand made equipment as possible - Apart from tools such as knife / axe which once aquired should last a vey long time if looked after.

Oh, and I've seen Garry throwing that club :eek:

Steve

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Razorstrop said:

Garry

Adaptability.

The ability to proceed safely when things don't go to plan, such as finding you've forgotten the tool / pin / cord / widget that holds your shelter together or the fuel you brought for your stove has leaked all over you food.

If you can get by when a river takes all your precious equipment to another world then perhaps you are a complete bushcrafter.

Me?...... I've still got a lot to learn....... ;)

K

Keef

Razorstrop said:
what do you all think are the key attributes in making the complete Bushcrafter?

Leave no trace... Has to be the most important consideration in my opinion.

leon-1

Common sense: in this I include the ability to adapt and improvise

Respect for ones environment (flora, fauna and the weather)

Determination (ask anyone who is self teaching fire by friction, as an example)

Knowledge, which ultimately will make life a lot more pleasant.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the ability to realise that you can never know it all, always be open to new ideas and techniques and never fall into the trap of beliveing that there is only one 'correct way' to the detriment of learning other techniques

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE