The benefits of Bushcraft on Health?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Office work? really?

Can you explain your position how it applies to Combat? Genuinely interested.

( Maybe in PM if awkward to discuss here )
Yes, office work. What prevents people enjoying their work, or getting satisfaction out of it, is constant change, interruption, lack of respect, the resultant lack of self esteem, illogical action and thinking from others etc. etc. If you create the mental barriers, and build the working processes to prevent the external inputs, there is pure joy in writing a well structured and meaningful report! :)

As far as combat is concerned, speak to any true master of a martial art (and I don't just mean oriental martial arts, though they are good examples). The very best I have met have always been 'in the zone' when they fight, never tense, never aggressive, but in the moment. Krav-Maga may be an exception, I don't know - that looks more like a Tasmanian devil let loose in a chicken pen :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The truth is though, there is a lot in our DNA that we are forced to ignore in the name of 'civilisation'. Two million years of evolution cannot be swept aside by a few hundred years of rules and laws (but now we're getting onto dodgy ground for many reasons :)).
Indeed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes, office work. What prevents people enjoying their work, or getting satisfaction out of it, is constant change, interruption, lack of respect, the resultant lack of self esteem, illogical action and thinking from others etc. etc. If you create the mental barriers, and build the working processes to prevent the external inputs, there is pure joy in writing a well structured and meaningful report! :)

As far as combat is concerned, speak to any true master of a martial art (and I don't just mean oriental martial arts, though they are good examples). The very best I have met have always been 'in the zone' when they fight, never tense, never aggressive, but in the moment. Krav-Maga may be an exception, I don't know - that looks more like a Tasmanian devil let loose in a chicken pen :)
Combat is natural. It is survival in its purist form, and every living cell on this planet is programmed to survive.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are a few things that have given me the same feeling as labouring in the wood or living in the wild, and these will upset some people, but they are: scoring a try in rugby, tackling someone fairly and robustly so they don't get up for ten seconds or more in rugby, and sparring :) That is in our DNA!

Reactions: JonathanD

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Tens of thousands of years getting DNA attuned to an environment. The sounds, smells, heat of the sun on the skin, smell of the earth when the rain falls on it, cut grass. It’s all remembered. And in the last half century most people have been ripped out of that and had it replaced by a constant rectangle of light and unnatural sound.

Is it any shock that people who experience nature again feel relaxed. Even if they’re just underneath a tree in the local park getting half cut.
The name of the scent the earth gives of after rain is called petrichor,.
when the rain hits the soil, the soil gives off spores / bacterium which release into the air.
My favourite scent.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That’s why contact sports and winning used to be a good thing. It’s natural and instinctive. Suppressing that will lead to far worse things than acquiescing to it.

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Ahhhh - I wondered if you meant more armed forces type combat. Not melee.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ahhhh - I wondered if you meant more armed forces type combat. Not melee.
It’s all the same really, but the former is more distanced from the actual realities of one on one fight to live or die. It’s more random and distanced from reality and thought. Although very real it is.

…. So not the same. I forget my point :unsure:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sword on sword is a good way of putting it. Nothing technical or distanced. Just one man fighting for his survival. Every atom of our bodies is designed for that just as every other animal has the same instincts. From Robins in the backyard, to badger sett disputes in the woods. Religion suppressed that in us for many years by controlling our fear of death and beyond. But now that is being lost. A return to base instincts will become more attractive as it is just natural. To ignore that is at our peril. I’m glad I’m too old to see what happens. I hope. Everything that is natural to us is being denied slowly but surely. Even our natural diet it seems. It’s not going to go well.

Never had reindeer pee. You got a cache for the next time we meet up?

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You went back for seconds then? super tasty
No, we put it back into the pot twice. Then it got knocked over onto the forest floor again. Tasted….. twiggy, leafy and earthy. Two Daves were involved. It’s mostly their fault. I might have had something to do with the first spill. But a Dave was involved in that too no doubt. A meal for five quickly became a meal for one. Split between three. Gave me the sh1ts I’m sure.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, we put it back into the pot twice. Then it got knocked over onto the forest floor again. Tasted….. twiggy, leafy and earthy. Two Daves were involved. It’s mostly their fault. I might have had something to do with the first spill. But a Dave was involved in that too no doubt. A meal for five quickly became a meal for one. Split between three. Gave me the sh1ts I’m sure.

I think the Cheffy types describe that sensation as Umami.

Sounds lovely.

Rustic. Rural. Roughage. 1 pot wonder.

Gorgeous.

:)

• Haha

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don’t think there’s anyone on this forum that hasnt felt the health benefits from being, working and/or living in a totally natural environment devoid (as much as is possible). of human influence. That’s why we’ve been rabbiting on about it since this forum was born. Some forget and get dragged back into the four walled square box entertained prison they have become accustomed to and genuinely enjoy it, at the same time forgetting what was lost. While some others stick with it and find real freedom, if only for a few hours. And just one hour, one week can make all the difference.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sword on sword is a good way of putting it. Nothing technical or distanced. Just one man fighting for his survival. Every atom of our bodies is designed for that just as every other animal has the same instincts. From Robins in the backyard, to badger sett disputes in the woods. Religion suppressed that in us for many years by controlling our fear of death and beyond. But now that is being lost. A return to base instincts will become more attractive as it is just natural. To ignore that is at our peril. I’m glad I’m too old to see what happens. I hope. Everything that is natural to us is being denied slowly but surely. Even our natural diet it seems. It’s not going to go well.

Never had reindeer pee. You got a cache for the next time we meet up?
Sorry to be a Reindeer and pee on your patch but ranged warfare has been a thing for a long time, think bows and arrows, javelins and sling shots. Hit and run.

Reactions: JonathanD and Broch

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
That’s why contact sports and winning used to be a good thing. It’s natural and instinctive. Suppressing that will lead to far worse things than acquiescing to it.
I agree to a certain point,but having seen parents of 13 and fourteen year olds screaming at their kids at kickboxing tournaments isn't a pretty site.The martial art seemed to lose out a bit.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I agree,
you have to fight for your corner in this world, there are winners & losers, that’s the natural ethos of nature..flight or fight.

What’s this to do with bushcraft & well being..to me ,a lot,I meditate & do my thinking when I’m in the wilds & that’s where I find my peace.

I’ve said on here before, on one instance I was charged by a wild bore in the uk & probably not stood a chance, that feeling of fear ignited something in me, my senses were amplified in an instance, my knife was out in a shot, but prepared to run..I even picked the tree to climb, luckily it was a false charge, yet I felt triumphant with a feeling of calm & peace after the adrenaline passed.
It’s all related.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE