The benefits of Bushcraft on Health?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’ve said on here before, on one instance I was charged by a wild bore in the uk & probably not stood a chance, that feeling of fear ignited something in me, my senses were amplified in an instance, my knife was out in a shot, but prepared to run..I even picked the tree to climb, luckily it was a false charge, yet I felt triumphant with a feeling of calm & peace after the adrenaline passed.
It’s all related.

That's something else that's missing in day to day life isn't it? that euphoria after success, the feeling of overcoming the odds, that rush of adrenaline (taking care to deal with the sudden drop when it drains away).

The old adage 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' is true as long as one has the mental fortitude to 'get back up'. Sometimes, getting back up has been hard, and there are scars :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That's something else that's missing in day to day life isn't it? that euphoria after success, the feeling of overcoming the odds, that rush of adrenaline (taking care to deal with the sudden drop when it drains away).

The old adage 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' is true as long as one has the mental fortitude to 'get back up'. Sometimes, getting back up has been hard, and there are scars :)

I feel that when I'm in a remote area where you can't get signal or it's a long trip back to the car. You are more aware, you think more about your actions and take more care of those around you, it sounds stressful but it isn't it feels good.

Reactions: JonathanD and Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

And isn't that the thing -you can ONLY have that feeling after countless failures of NOT succeeding.

Reactions: JonathanD and Broch

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As far as combat is concerned, speak to any true master of a martial art (and I don't just mean oriental martial arts, though they are good examples). The very best I have met have always been 'in the zone' when they fight, never tense, never aggressive, but in the moment. Krav-Maga may be an exception, I don't know - that looks more like a Tasmanian devil let loose in a chicken pen
Actually many if not all eastern fighting systems have practices where the idea is to drive the sympathetic nervous system down to avoid the adrenaline rush. You fight better with a cool head.

Krav Maga has taken an other approach where they try to minimize the number of different movements required to better go "berserk" (where one's control is more than slightly diminished). I think that is the military approach though and civilian side has taken a different tactic.

Some US forces have a set of exercises to avoid the ad rush, I think they call the main part "box breathing".

I have noticed that walking in the woods tends to gave the same effect without anything extra.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Actually many if not all eastern fighting systems have practices where the idea is to drive the sympathetic nervous system down to avoid the adrenaline rush. You fight better with a cool head.

That is the theory; however very few western schools teach anything about meditation and 'right breathing', 'right thinking' etc. - well, none that I have experienced. The control of the adrenaline comes with experience (sparring experience), and the consequential confidence, as well as the mental and breathing practices.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That is the theory; however very few western schools teach anything about meditation and 'right breathing', 'right thinking' etc. - well, none that I have experienced. The control of the adrenaline comes with experience (sparring experience), and the consequential confidence, as well as the mental and breathing practices.

Geoff Thompson did the hard M.A world a great service with his 'Animal days' and pressure testing.

Hard style combatives is the closest thing I think ( just an opinion ) people now get as an opportunity to learn to calm the Adrenal dump factor.

( Grrrrr.... all these last posts are all quite El Macho!! )

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I feel that when I'm in a remote area where you can't get signal or it's a long trip back to the car. You are more aware, you think more about your actions and take more care of those around you, it sounds stressful but it isn't it feels good.
First thing I do is sit quietly & zone in. Only then I notice how loud the quietness of the woods is.
Your ears attune to every sound. The eyes see more & you get a real sense we are being watched(animals).
Only then I become one with nature.
Complete.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
First thing I do is sit quietly & zone in. Only then I notice how loud the quietness of the woods is.
Your ears attune to every sound. The eyes see more & you get a real sense we are being watched(animals).
Only then I become one with nature.
Complete.

My problem is, I go down to the wood to work, sit and listen and watch, and before I know it I've become absorbed in nature and an hour or more has gone without me doing any work! :) - can't beat it though.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I do a similar thing, I work with wood(building site joiner)I go to work, sit, listen & watch.
I’m stood there shaking my head in disbelief & bewilderment.
Before I know it, it’s home time.

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE