The changing seasons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
There's no denying it, autumn is just about here. The kids are back at school, the wheat was cut weeks ago, squiggers are burying nuts like crazy. There's a chill every morning which can last til lunchtime. Sloes, haws and elderberries are near ready and the blackberries are near finished. Rosehips are red and bulging, the geese are leaving.

I love autumn. Nothing like a foggy, frosty morning with the sun gradually burning through to a beautiful pale blue sky while around you the leaves fall in droves. Bonfires which seem to last for days. An extra blanket on the bed at night. The absolute need for that first cuppa in the morning (whole milk, 2 sugars). Wool jumpers and coats pulled from the back of the wardrobe, wellies much in evidence and battered wax jackets constant companions.

What do you guys like about autumn?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm with you all the way. Spring and autumn are much better for me than the other two. Managing a smallholding means these times are fun for me. Sowing seeds and implementing plans in the spring and having time off and space to enjoy the harvest in autumn.

I've been out and about all day to day (on time off) and I've been enjoying the heat of the sun with the cool breeze while picking fruits from the hedges.

Now I'm in with a nice ale and the bramble jam and scones are made. I'm waiting for herself to finish cooking the mackerel and there is a stonking sunset on the cards which I can see from the window. I've got Julie Fowlis on the CD player singing something melancholy in Gaelic.

It's not bad.

:)

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Yes agree with you both Matt and Locum. I've definitely noticed the chill in the air in the last week or so. I even had to light the gasfire in the living room the other day, the first time its been lit since February! What I enjoy most about Autumn, well you said it perfectly for me Matt :D The chilly fog-riddled mornings and the changing hues of the leaves and woods, and it brings back the power of a fresh, hot and strong cup of tea in the morning. And the fantastic sunsets. I don't favour any season over another, I simply leave each one as much as the last :D

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I love this time of year.
Laying in bed with the window wide open the room cold and me warm listening to the owls in the wood next to my cottage

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That clean cold smell in the air :D
The sound the leaves make, the changing colours and the bustle of everything somehow aware of needing to get ready, to prepare, because eventually the dark bite of cold Winter will come.

There's a satisfaction in being organised for it too :) A definite pleasure in knowing that Summer harvest is safely put bye. The pantry shelves are looking cheery with jars of jewel coloured jellies, jams, pickles and syrups.

I'm a housewife, I've got new quilts made for all the beds in the house, (even the cat got a new cushion in her basket from the scraps :eek:) and I've nearly finished a new blanket for Son2 and a woollen jacket for my husband.

I think every season has it's delights :D
I think I'd be miserable living somewhere where they don't change so dramatically. Going for a walk in the evening or the crack of dawn these days is full of beautiful skies, crisp air, and changing plants :cool:

I played with firemaking in the garden today, even that smelled right for the time of year.

cheers,
M

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I genuinley think we are lucky in this country, despite having more and more poor summers... (object if you will :) )

There is something about each season changing, and in-turn the promise each new season brings. autunm and the cooler north breezes that make you feel homely, winter and how snow makes the whole landscape fresh and vibrant with a simple downfall, spring with its green tinged promise of change... and then summer blossom, with lazy days enjoying the warmth of the sun and all things green.

actually, its not such a bad place to call 'home' :)

just my h.o

TBL.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Simple. The smell, the sound and the sight. Summer brightens the body and soul and fills you with happiness. Autumn is sad because it is all over, but sad is happy for us deep people.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
For me there is nothing like sitting in a quiet wood on an Autumn morning with a brew on and just chilling out and reflecting on life in general.
Daz

I love the cooling temps, the new colors, walking through the misty foggy woods listening to the moisture collected on leaves and branches dripping onto the leaves on the forest floor. I love the chill in the air in the evenings in the woods making a fire a cheery thing once again and cooking an evening meal over the flames a pleasant thing. And then I can not forget LESS BUGS!!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Dark nights and misty mornings!

I know it's autumn when I 'don my waders and head off to some gravelly spot on the local river to indulge on a spot of trotting for silver ladies (Grayling for non-angling folk ;)). You can't beat getting down to the riverside when it's dark, watching the sun lazily rise through the warm mist, and seeing the world come alive.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It wasn't the best summer up here and as the last winter was prolonged to say the least, we have now had the indicators that it's not far away again. Apart from the winds and the leaves changing our faithful flying friends, the geese have been heading south for the last week or so. When they come over it's definately time to finish those autumn jobs and get ready for the dark nights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE