A Sunny afternoon up the permission-pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Managed a few hours up my permission yesterday afternoon, tried out some new toys, tested a new brew system i have worked on, and few other bits i shall blither on about
got there about half eleven
broke out a new folding buck saw i got this week and dug out a piece of punk wood British Red is after
P9190410_zpsbcdf2d4a.jpg

the punk wood didn't really put up much of a fight
P9190411_zpsf62675fb.jpg

however it was a nice easy starter to try out the saw, well impressed just need to make a carry case for it now to prevent the blade snagging against stuff
took a wander round the woods hunting for cramp balls for dartmoor navigator (no joy sorry)
spotted this as a likely new area within the wood to try out once the nettles have died back a bit
P9190412_zpsca25f8a4.jpg

It is further in than my usual spot so less likely to get harassed by the elderly dog walker for bacon and eggs in the morning
found some interesting Fungi growing near the new spot neither looked in tip top condition and my fungi id is rubbish
P9190413_zps827031c5.jpg

P9190414_zps8082982a.jpg

wandered a bit more and came back out at the road so walked back along the footpath and spotted some thistle's going to seed, a good woodsman always collects tinder when they find it so I filled my tinder pouch
P9190415_zps4d397757.jpg

There are berries all along the side of my permission the trees are literally dripping with them, I seem to recall a folk tale saying if there is a lot of berries the winter will be harsh methinks it is time to dig out the snow shoes based on this lot

Haws
P9190417_zps1633b0f9.jpg

need to make/get a berry picker and get plenty for some fruit leather
some barely visible sloes

P9190418_zps8a4cc4a5.jpg

I shall wait for a frost and nip back to gather plenty of these for the annual sloe brandy/spiced rum/vodka making
I've also heard that if you put them near the fire it breaks down the natural sugars in them and makes them more palatable so I may try that next time
and a few blackberries but i suspect dog walkers have had a go at these
P9190419_zpsf76bdf49.jpg

once back inside the woods I realised the log heap made the place look untidy
P9190421_zpsfa2dc82a.jpg

so I proceeded to move it into a neater pile, separating the types of wood whilst I was at it
about half way along I realised I hadn't had a brew for a while and decided to resolve this
P9190422_zps9c210f8b.jpg

above is the new brew set, the zebra billy, water bottle,click stand, mug and cutlery all fit in the M.O.L.L.E pouch so I only need a bottle of meths or a fire and I am laughing

Or so I thought
the billy can is too small to sit on the click stand instead it is the perfect size to rest inside the click stand and put the meths burner out-d'oh I'm going to sacrifice a coat hanger to make some pot rests that will balance on the click stand for future use, however i couldn't find the coat hanger tree so I improvised a pot holder
P9190424_zps24030266.jpg

drank my tea and finished off the log pile
P9190425_zpsca628ced.jpg

about five minutes later Alex turned up (I think he was waiting for me to finish moving the logs....)
P9190427_zps8e6be7a0.jpg

with more fire wood and wild boar meat
so with a motivation like that I cracked on with some fire wood prep
P9190428_zps43b30ac3.jpg

which also gave me a chance to try out my latest knife a Condor Kephart
P9190440_zps0681b1f4.jpg

Alex had a birthday present to try out a Zippo emergency fire lighting kit
P9190442_zps4c636c17.jpg

it works.....
P9190443_zpse9fd55d9.jpg

obviously I couldn't let a good fire go to waste so I got the billy on for another brew
P9190444_zpsff60cf13.jpg

whilst the fire did its thing we tried a new rig up of poncho and space blanket tarp.
P9190445_zpse6807860.jpg

and one with me in for scale
P9190446_zps92390aee.jpg

whilst this was only a tester and i can see where i would/will improve it it definitely looks like a winner and I'm looking forward to trying it out when it gets colder
Alex then made some wild boar kebabs
P9190449_zpse157f02f.jpg

and we cooked them over the fire
P9190452_zps69eedf38.jpg

nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom
sorry no photo's of the final cooked kebabs we got caught up munching on them, i can understand why Asterix's mate Obelisk liked wild boar so much now its really really nice

after that we doused the fire, packed up and headed home
nice afternoon d back in time to give wee man his tea and put him to bed
thanks for coming along

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great pics and skills.

The two fungi pics - the second one is young Dryad's saddle, which is edible. The first is probably old dryad's saddle, and well past it.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Sloes, yup, warming them near the fire will indeeb make them more palatable. You can also simply hold a couple in your cheeks hamster styley, to warm them through and it'll hve a similar effect.

Cheers, and.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE