The humble hawthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
My very first post is about one of my favorite plants. I'm very sure it's appeared here a good few times before, but I can't say enough in favour of my old hedgerow friend.

Now I have read a thread here discussing the vile taste of hawthorn fruit leather. I read it and decided to add a little cinnamon and a sprinkle of brown sugar to the batch I had waiting to be prepared. I know these are not wild foods, but experimentation was required to see if wild equivelants were a worthwhile effort. The result? YUM! Sweet, spicy and subtlely delicious flavour that's like a mix of apple and cucumber (it somewhow works).

While gathering it struck me what a thoroughly reliable little tree the hawthorn is. Being among the first greens in spring and the last fruits in autumn. In Scotland (where it blooms later) we have a saying: "Dinnae leave yer jacket at home 'til the mayflowers are in full bloom. Ignore this at your peril!

Now even though I'm late in the season and had to gather at altitude for a good crop of berries, they were incredibly fresh. Quite the opposite of the maggot ridden rosehips I got last month. Even the ones that seemed insect damaged were clean and sweet when broken open. The only rejects were from easily detected bird damage, few and far between. This brings me to the Irish saying: "When all other fruit fails, be glad of haws".

I'm yet to sample the spring greens offered by the hawthorn so I can't comment there I'm afraid.

Despite the potential of those spikes to penetrate car tyres I almost never get jabbed. By comparison to the clawing, scratchy nature of brambles and rosehips the hawthorn is incredibly forgiving of any visitors to it's branches. Beware though, despite it's friendliness those little daggers can do so much worse than any hooked thorn to those who push their luck. I've never fished using improvised hooks but I imagine hawthorn spikes could easily hold fast the biggest of river fish and land it for a tasty dinner.

Finally the spiritual nature of the hawthorn. A home to fairies. To this day most farmers I know of will not chop down a hawthorn tree. To do so for anything other than a May-bush on the proper holiday is the worst of bad luck. I love how this ancient connection with the tree has survived to this day.

A prince among trees and a true wild food if you ask me! BTW I feel I should say this again although I'm sure you all know: Don't eat too much and don't eat the seeds! There's some chemicals there that could cause life threatening problems. Generosity demands respect after all.

Well, I'm done. Must say I'm looking forward to meeting like minded types and exchanging information. The day I took up bushcraft I was reborn as a complete infant in a new world....There's so very much to learn.

Peace!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
It makes you wonder whether the stories about fairies and bad luck came about because it was a resource that was only needed in the most desperate times. Over the years/generations the reasons why you should not cut one down get forgotten and simplified into "it will bring bad luck".

Welcome to BCUK

Z

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Interesting, I did not know about the fairies, but the first time I brought down some Hawthorn it was getting dark. After hearing my mate swear for the umpteenth time, this a bloke who hardly says a word, I joked that the Hawthorns were attacking us. Not our hands, arms, bodies or legs, just our heads and faces. At one point a branch caught hold of my collar and my mate had to release me. We were cut to pieces,covered in blood, neither of us superstitious or ever spooked. In the end I struck a deal with the tree. I promised to make something beautiful from her wood. At one point I thought this might of been a mistake as everything I tried split as it dried or I made a daft mistake. Finally I managed to make a small cup. Now out of habit, I always tell a hawthorn my intentions before I bring her down, and its always as though the wood is guiding what I make. Any other tree is felled , occasionally with sadness , but never as a "tree hugger"

Funnily farmers around here rip out unwanted Hawthorn hedge rows in May. I wonder if they know something I don't !

Thanks for the info.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There is an Asian/Chinese food supermarket in york - one of the 'sweets' they sell is made from hawthorn berries. So it's a traditional food in other countries as well as in the UK.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
May be the fairies were created because Hawthorn is such a good wood to burn, maybe the best wood in the uk. Blacksmiths have always known it burns hotter and longer than other woods. I often see an old couple with a folding wheelbarrow collecting dead Hawthorn from hedgerows. Faires might have discouraged this and protected the hedges in cold winter's

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
Peppery and spicey you say? Sounds very nice. A flavour I think might enhance lots of different dishes. I'll have to try them out next springtime. I'm looking forward to that actually.

Useful for smoking food and hot burning too. The tree is even more useful than I had thought. I wonder if an eyelet can be made in a thorn for an improvised sewing needle too. Thanks for that info guys.

Now what really interests me is the fairie stories. I would never have imagined a practical side, but it's so sensible that I'm totally sold on the idea now. People wouild be missing meals in Spring and Autumn for the sake of warm feet in winter if they chopped local trees down for firewood. The more I learn about our prehistoric ancestors, the more I like those guys.

The Chinese sweeties don't surprise me (though I do wonder how they taste). Hawthorns grow in temperate places across the world. I'm told some American species are prized for making resiliant tool handles. Makes me think that if I liked the taste this year, I should gather from the same trees next year (and distibute the seeds widely).

Great story JJJ! Those thorns pierce deep, it's good to see the added respect you found for the hawthorn as a result. Blackthorn is also a fairie-infested, enchanted tree. I'll warn you in advance just incase! :) I'm a tree-hugger BTW, literally! Though I think not the annoying (perhaps ignorant) type.

Good to see you know the Scots blacktimberwolf!

Finally, if it wasn't for me googling 'hawthorn fruit leather' I'd never have found this site. So I'll thank them for that too. Maybe it was the work of fairies!

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. I know that talking trees is an unusual way of saying hello, but that's just me.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Got some hawthorn berry schnapps on the go as I type... will report once it's ready.

One of the best burning woods too

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a tree-hugger BTW, literally!

With a handle like that I'd never have guessed lol. Welcome to bcuk mate.

I hate cutting down hawthorn trees, such a tough wood it blunts the saws really fast, and it's so twisty and sharp to boot. Mind you we don't cut them often, and I can honestly say in the last year I've planted more of them than I've felled.

I'm a practical tree hugger too :)

Orric

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
Nice to see some fellow tree-huggers around :D

Just thought I'd update the thread as I've been investigating a little and found out a couple more things. It's still worhtwhile while there's still a few scabby haws on the trees. I tried to make a sewing needle from a thorn and it worked quite well. The eyelet did split fairly quickly but it was strong enough to pierce thin leather and easy as pie to make.

The other thing I tried is haws from every tree I found them on. The variety in flavour is enormous! I haven't tasted haws from any two trees that were the same. Some taste apple sweet, some like mild avacado, some are pleasantly bitter and others are utterly repellant (enough to make me feel ill). The only common theme is a slightly bitter, fresh-mown grass aftertaste, but even that isn't always present.

The fruit leather I made is really quite tasty, so I think I got lucky with my choice of trees this year. I'm trying to memorise all the good ones for next autumn so I can get as good or better with batch #2. If anyone has tried making haw leather and had it turn out nasty I'd reccomend giving it a second try.

Sloe is out in force now, time to get scratched and jagged again. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE