The care and feeding of Yankees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
BTW, Anyone got one of those handcrank (autofeed) drill presses ?
Sorta like this but on a stand rather then bolted to a post
RedDrill_bFrontLeft_promoa.jpg

I'd love one of these too
coKrx5SLdAO4tiggcASQxg+433x325.jpg

Tombear, This any good ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-H...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item460af1d9b1
My brother has one....But I've got first dibs on it ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I'm watching that but with the postage even if no one else bids that's £12 which is a bit steep for me, I've been spoiled with the bargains I've had of late, last week I picked up a new in its box old school black and decker drill press for a fiver which goes nicely with the single speed drill I got for a pound.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sure, you see quite a lot of as new old school B and D stuff on the fleas, adapters to turn drills into sanders, circular saws etc, often practically unused. My wood lathe was £14 quid from a YMCA shop in Bolton and I doubt that had been used more than a couple of times.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally picked up a leytool drill on the carboot for a quid to convert into a rubber winder
image_zps6532cb46.jpg

Again the pics upside down but it makes no difference this time.

Its a late model one with the plastic frame, it works well and took two hours to clean all the glue, paint and filth of it. I now need to fashion a "crochet hook" and get it welded on to the spindle. Unfortunately for safety reasons you can't just use the chuck to hold the hook on place when your stretch winding a big motor.

ill get me coat...

atb
Tom

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Single phase house power over here is 240 (or therabouts) and our three phase is 415 (or thereabouts).
We have step down transformers on building sites to drop the power to something that's a bit less dangerous, plus they have plugs designed for hard use and not the normal household plugs that come out all the time if the cable gets a slight pull.

Sorry British Red for the de-rail by the way.

The reason they are 110v is to have an Isolating Transformer, the yellow box, so the tool is not actually got an electrical connection with the mains. It's a magnetic coil that transforms the electricity and has no physical electric connection, whereas a 240v household drill has the full weight of the mains pumping through it.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a couple of yankee type drivers so that hex adapter is a good tip. I doubt I have used them in 20 years mind you. I am another clumsy bugger than manages to scratch things when I slip off the screw head.

Another old cool tool that I used to have before it went missing was a hand drill with a two speed gear system. That was a cool though heavy bit of kit. I think it was made in the 50's or 60's.

It might have been this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-U...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item54009b923a

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haha, used to use a yankee to show how fragile safety helmets became with UV, used to fire a well lube'd yankee at it and the bit would go straight through
One of my fave toys as a kid was Dads bit and brace, was regularly pressed into service as my STEN gun or MP40:eek:

images

Great thread BTW

Last edited:

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
I have a couple of yankee type drivers so that hex adapter is a good tip. I doubt I have used them in 20 years mind you. I am another clumsy bugger than manages to scratch things when I slip off the screw head.

Another old cool tool that I used to have before it went missing was a hand drill with a two speed gear system. That was a cool though heavy bit of kit. I think it was made in the 50's or 60's.

It might have been this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-U...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item54009b923a

I picked up one of these from a boot sale, for about £5. Got asked by the seller if I was buying it for ebay? I said No, I'm going to use it:lmao:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Had a phone call from my dad this afternoon he has found his when having a good tidy up before moving, brand new and unused in the package and it is now mine:)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Found this yesterday

Its a Stanley 135B Has no bit.

So I was showing it to the hardware stall man...After prising £3.50 out of my traumatised hand....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE