The care and feeding of Yankees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I've seen "yankee"(my dad said it's called "jiffy") screwdrivers for sale in the chinese shops here, never on the flea markets! I've seen hand-drills second-hand though.
hmmmm, shame the flea markets 'round here are expensive... I kid you not, I've seen used stuff up for "as new" prices!...I think the folk who have the old stuff still use it! In a few years, maybe the inherited stuff will come onto the market, bloody rural area, bloody traditional farmers.
I love the drogarias (hardware stores) though: I've seen hand-drills and got a hand-cranked grinder for a tenner there, never seen 'em on the flea markets. We also have masses of chinese shops, filled with cheapo junky stuff, and the occasional bargain.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Haha, used to use a yankee to show how fragile safety helmets became with UV, used to fire a well lube'd yankee at it and the bit would go straight through
One of my fave toys as a kid was Dads bit and brace, was regularly pressed into service as my STEN gun or MP40:eek:

images

Great thread BTW

Still use I

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Haha, used to use a yankee to show how fragile safety helmets became with UV, used to fire a well lube'd yankee at it and the bit would go straight through
One of my fave toys as a kid was Dads bit and brace, was regularly pressed into service as my STEN gun or MP40:eek:

images

Great thread BTW

Something similar but a bit ssimpler is still in flightline tool kits, the speed handle:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE