The Advantages of A flintlock Gun for Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have to say that someone who needs multiple shots from a .223 to kill a dog can't shoot for toffee. I've seen my dad drop a 2-year-old steer with one shot from a 22lr and many a roo shooter has downed a roo with a 22lr. It's where you put the shot.

If you don't hit the brain, heart or high up on the spinal cord the calibre doesn't matter a damn, any animal is going to live for a while and probably flail around. A 223 has as much muzzle energy as a 44magnum; the way some people talk about that cartridge, you'd think it was capable of blowing up tanks.

as already said: I have not been present at this incident-- just passing on what others told me. but imagine yourself standing in a minefield, using FMJ and try to hit a moving target ( I have no info if the shooter used the red dot sight or the scope)..... .I have been hunting with rifles and I've seen animals taking off at full speed after taking a lethal hit when adrenalin "kicked in".....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The muzzle energy is just one of several important parameters.
There is a reason they used very large calibers( lead ball projectiles) in the past - large wound canals, if bone is hit then the pieces are large and can penetrate deep.
The reason they used very large calibres in the past was due to the burning speed and hence expansion of black powder - it simply can't push a projectile all that fast. I can't remember the maximum velocity off the top of my head (smokeless is faster).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The reason they used very large calibres in the past was due to the burning speed and hence expansion of black powder - it simply can't push a projectile all that fast. I can't remember the maximum velocity off the top of my head (smokeless is faster).

Exactly. To achieve a certain level of energy when hitting, you can go two ways:
Large heavy projectile at slow speed or small lighter projectile at high speed.
I am simplifying of course.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Your friend who's a dealer was wrong. According to my dealer's handbook (yes I was a licensed C&R collector with dealer's privileges):

"An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is reesiding in that State and has resided continuously in that state for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to both his identity by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90 day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentaion to prove residency include : utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser's place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.
C.F.R. (Code of Federal Regulations, the federal law)"

[18 U.S.C. 921, 922(b)(3), (d) and (g) 27 C.F.R. 478.11 and 478.99(a)

All bold emphasis are mine. The point of it all being that after a period of 90 days (and having acquired a government issued photo ID such as a Driver's License) as well as a long term lease and job (which can only be gotten with a resident I.D. card; the "green card") an alien has essentially established permanent residency. The 90 day period is exactly the same as required foir a native citizen to establish residency in a new state (or even a new county or town) for voting purposes.

Furthermore the form you have to fill out when buying a firearm (A.T.F. Form 4473) has a series of questions the buyer must answer. One of said questions (number 15) specifically requires aliens to provide their U.S. issued alien number or admission number. Here's a link to the form www.atf.gov/file/61446/download As you can see, there are some exceptions for properly documented sport hunters and a few others.

Regarding importing a firearm here I've only ever done it once when I returned from England. All I had to do was fill out the Customs Declaration; but that was a shotgun I had originally bought here and had taken out of the country with me to England when I was stationed there.

I asked yesterday and all they have is a Green Card ( but have never lived or worked in the US. They stay in hotels, motels.
Do not own any property, or have any relatives there.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Big and slow was the best that the historical level of technology could go. While modern small and fast is an improvement to many, I see another advantage = the hydrostatic shock wave that goes along.
There's a great deal of tissue damage associated with the travel through the body.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I had to do a "war surgery" training after I finished Uni.
We shot pigs, exposed them to hand grenades and anti personell mines.
Then we operated.
The wound canals from full jackets were fairly narrow, soft/ hollow points wide.
Both canals were lined with "cooked" / coagulated meat. Not much bleeding.
All lead bullets fairly narrow, but pieces of lead everywhere.
Shrapnel wounds were more like tears, very little "cooking".
If bone was hit the bone fragments acted like the metal shrapnel. Messy.
Anti personell mines made a mess, a mixture of everything.

I have never seen how the wound from a black powder gun looks like.

Yes, the hydraulic damage must be greater from a round bullet than a poiny one.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Sounds like a prelude to the following conversation which would be an excellent excuse for gun control without the need for laws:

National Health Official (whose job depends entirely on the political faction in office at the time) "So you like shooting guns and hunting?"

Citizen, ""Why yes. I was raised in on a farm and my family were all ardent hunters."

National Health Official, "Obviously you were raised in a psychopathic environment and you're far too unstable to be trusted with a gun. In fact we need to institutionalize you for treatment."

What world would that be that a National health official (not a doctor?) was dependent for appointment on a political faction? Not one I recognise.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I asked yesterday and all they have is a Green Card ( but have never lived or worked in the US. They stay in hotels, motels.
Do not own any property, or have any relatives there.

A "green card" means that they are indeed resident aliens. That's what a green card's for.

What world would that be that a National health official (not a doctor?) was dependent for appointment on a political faction? Not one I recognise.

A doctor, practicing nurse, psychologist, etc. that works for the government or is licensed by that government (national government anyway) is the definition of a "national health official." All government employees are dependent on politics; whether directly or indirectly. That's a fact of life on whatever world.

There's currently an anti-gun movement here that seeks to declare veterans wholesale unfit for gun possession under existing laws that bar those with mental problems. They are trying (with resistance from Congress) to expand the presumption of incompetency to include those veterans that have had a fiduciary appointed when they can't manage their finances. In other words they are attempting to make it a legal presumption that veterans who aren't financial successes are mentally incompetent. That is nothing more than a politically (anti-gun politics) move to further that same political agenda.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, a Resident in the European sense is a person that resides and works ( or lives of own money) in a country.
Those guys live and work in the Cayman Islands. Visit the US only for pleasure like shopping and hunting!
I was told it is easy to apply for a Green Card and get it and that I should do it, as I can then buy a rifle and shotgun and go hunting with them !
I dhould sdd that it is easy to get it if you are a professional of good standing with no criminal record, something all of us are.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If an MD has to issue a certificate of Mental Health he will do so according to his professional ethics, not which political party is in power.
No (democratic) state can force an MD or issue rules and laws that counteract these ethical rules.

The medical Departement can and do, issue recommendations for accepted , gold standard, treatments, but only if science shows this is correct. In Europe a lot of medical research is done by state sponsored institutions unfortinately, so the states can influence what is researched on.
I believe in the US most research is done by private means? Private hospitals and other institutions.
Of course your Armed Forces do a lot of medical research, and those are state controlled.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If an MD has to issue a certificate of Mental Health he will do so according to his professional ethics, not which political party is in power....

His or her medical ethics are and always will be influenced (if not taught outright) by whatever political party is in power.

And ALL research done by universities (private or public) is heavily dependent on government funding and approval. The current medical "gold standard" regarding issues such as gun policy is "supposed" to be the CDC and the PHS (Public Health Service) which have always been a politically influenced organization (it's led by the Surgeon General who is a political appointee)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, a Resident in the European sense is a person that resides and works ( or lives of own money) in a country.
Those guys live and work in the Cayman Islands. Visit the US only for pleasure like shopping and hunting!
I was told it is easy to apply for a Green Card and get it and that I should do it, as I can then buy a rifle and shotgun and go hunting with them !
I dhould sdd that it is easy to get it if you are a professional of good standing with no criminal record, something all of us are.

To visit here for pleasure, hunting, or even a short job (say a year or so) or university study (up to 5 years or so) requires nothing but a visa (in the case of the job, it will be a "work visa" or to attend school it will be a "student visa") The Green Card is for persons who demonstrate an intention to immigrate permanently without necessarily seeking actual citizenship (seeking citizenship isn't prohibited and is another valid reason) An no, they ain't easy to get; you have to already have a job lined up that won't take away a citizen's employment and usually a sponsor (usually the employer) for job related issue. The other common issue would be for an alien marrying a US citizen (I have a cousin who took nearly two years to get a green card for his Khyrgastani wife and their daughter)

Please give me your friends' names, addresses, and resident alien numbers (those will be on the green cards) so I can forward them to INS for fraud investigation.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To visit here for pleasure, hunting, or even a short job (say a year or so) or university study (up to 5 years or so) requires nothing but a visa (in the case of the job, it will be a "work visa" or to attend school it will be a "student visa") The Green Card is for persons who demonstrate an intention to immigrate permanently without necessarily seeking actual citizenship (seeking citizenship isn't prohibited and is another valid reason) An no, they ain't easy to get; you have to already have a job lined up that won't take away a citizen's employment and usually a sponsor (usually the employer) for job related issue. The other common issue would be for an alien marrying a US citizen (I have a cousin who took nearly two years to get a green card for his Khyrgastani wife and their daughter)

Please give me your friends' names, addresses, and resident alien numbers (those will be on the green cards) so I can forward them to INS for fraud investigation.

Well, it seems you have some serious short comings in your system! Like most countries I should add.
Sorry I can not divulge any details. If I did and you acted, that ould put your Homeland Security in bad light, for not doing their job properly, and we do not want that, do we?
Missing ammo being taken aboard aircraft is one thing, but not noticing a Resident only stays in the US for a few days each year...

On the positive side, think of the boost to your Economy these people contribute with, buying arms, ammo, staying in hotels, hunting license fees and so on!

:)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
His or her medical ethics are and always will be influenced (if not taught outright) by whatever political party is in power.

And ALL research done by universities (private or public) is heavily dependent on government funding and approval. The current medical "gold standard" regarding issues such as gun policy is "supposed" to be the CDC and the PHS (Public Health Service) which have always been a politically influenced organization (it's led by the Surgeon General who is a political appointee)

In Europe ethics are tought as a part of the medical training. I am sure the same applies in the US.

My Gods how far we have deviated from the original topic!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, it seems you have some serious short comings in your system! Like most countries I should add.
Sorry I can not divulge any details. If I did and you acted, that ould put your Homeland Security in bad light, for not doing their job properly, and we do not want that, do we?
Missing ammo being taken aboard aircraft is one thing, but not noticing a Resident only stays in the US for a few days each year...

On the positive side, think of the boost to your Economy these people contribute with, buying arms, ammo, staying in hotels, hunting license fees and so on!

:)

Three points:
1) INS is responsible for immigration, not Homeland Security

2) I don't believe the claims of ammo being missed that often (yeah, it happens, but without documentation I really just don't believe anywhere near that frequency. Provide documented cases please.

3) The hunting license fees, and surtax on hunting equipment (guns, ammo, and other items) are earmarked directly for conservation so yeah, I agree. Except that those things would all happen even on a tourist visa (they'd just be renting or borrowing a gun from the guide)

In Europe ethics are tought as a part of the medical training. I am sure the same applies in the US......

Ummm? Yeah, that was my point; political influence is universal.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Janne, I was being a bit sarcastic requesting all the info on your friends; obviously I didn't expect you to comply. However, just for giggles and grins, can you tell the nature of their business? There in the Cayman's and here in the US?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Two are lawyers, one is working for the police and one works for the Government, a MD. Going to the US for shopping ( we all do) and killing animals is their business in the US.
That is kind of the average member at the gun club. We all are quite well off, as we pay over 40 US for a 50 box of 9mm ammo ( the cheapest ones we can get), I pay over 60 US for a box of 9mm +P ammo ( suits my gun best) of the cheapest brand.
To get down to those prices we have to import something like 5000 rounds, importing less is stupid as the secure shipping is crazy expensive.
A very stupid friend imported ONE box of special .357 M ammo, with a new kind of fragmenting bullets. Each round cost him something like 30 US.

The end price for a S&W mid 929 incl all permits and sh** is close to 3500 US. Do not even think of getting parts, we need a f***ing permit ( 200 US) each time.
Unless we smuggle them in, which might happen I have heard....... :)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The reason I know the end cost of the S&W is because I am going to buy one this week coming. To be competitive at the club I need a revolver with a longer sightline (barell) and more shots than 6. The S&W has a 6.5 barrell, 8 shots and takes 9mm rounds. Ported barrel too!
Need to find the mildest loads for zero recoil now.
It will take me a few weeks to work on the internals, but I enjoy that!
I sold my Ruger Match Champion unwillingly, the police will only give me one more permit this year and I need it for the semi auto shotgun. A replacement permit is fine though.
I reworked the internals on the Ruger, is smooth as a ladies rump, and the lightest trigger you can get without misfires!
Plus high gloss polished the cylinder, and gloss polished the rest. Easier to keep nice and clean that way!

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Isn't the point Santaman that you do not approve of gun controls so that any examination of the fitness to have guns will be anathema?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Isn't the point Santaman that you do not approve of gun controls so that any examination of the fitness to have guns will be anathema?

To be more exact I mistrust those who would be given the authority of deciding who's fit or not. There's just too much at stake to entrust anybody with that much authority. I also know that gun "control" is a euphenism for incrementally banning guns altogether. Y'all have already banned handguns and semi-automatics. Australia has gone farther and banned pump actions and is on the verge of expanding that to include lever actions. Does anybody seriously believe that's the end of the banning vs just a lull until the next round? It'll continue incrementally until there are no more guns in civilian hands.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE