The Advantages of A flintlock Gun for Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually it is legal is you don't sell it. You only need a manufacturer's license if you sell any guns you manufacture. You have the right to make your own firearms and it's legal.

Not in Florida. At least not quite that simply.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
That activity is Federally regulated. Any firearm you build has to be of a type with features that conform to state and Federal laws. So, in other words you can't build a military style rifle in a state that prohibits them, like California.

I do need to correct myself. Fresh ATF rulings and clarifications come out all of the time. It turns out you can sell a homemade firearm so long as you do not do it as a business.

However, if you intend to sell it or give it away to anyone, you need to mark it appropriately with your name, city, state, and a serial number. If you build your own gun and you retain possession of it you’re not federally required to serialize it.

According to the ATF, although markings are not required on firearms manufactured for personal use (excluding NFA firearms), owners are recommended to conspicuously place or engrave a serial number and/ or other marks of identification to aid in investigation or recovery by State or local law enforcement officials in the event of a theft or loss of the privately owned firearm.

As for Florida, do a check and I suspect you will be surprised on what you can do. BTW, at least one large distributor for 80% finished lower receivers is in Florida. Those are AR-15 receivers made of forged aluminum that are not quite complete enough to qualify as a firearm. You can buy them without paperwork and simply finish them yourself as a legal, homemade firearm. Other firearm models, such as 80% finished frames from the M1911, receivers for the HK91 and FAL, plus stamped receiver flats for Kalashinkov pattern military style rifles are sold in such a manner.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That activity is Federally regulated. Any firearm you build has to be of a type with features that conform to state and Federal laws. So, in other words you can't build a military style rifle in a state that prohibits them, like California.....

......As for Florida, do a check and I suspect you will be surprised on what you can do.

BTW, at least one large distributor for 80% finished lower receivers is in Florida. Those are AR-15 receivers made of forged aluminum that are not quite complete enough to qualify as a firearm. You can buy them without paperwork and simply finish them yourself as a legal, homemade firearm. Other firearm models, such as 80% finished frames from the M1911, receivers for the HK91 and FAL, plus stamped receiver flats for Kalashinkov pattern military style rifles are sold in such a manner.

State and local laws also apply. Flying is a federally regulated activity also, but a local cop can still enforce local laws. I'm well aware of the practice of assembling AR-15s from unfinished parts. It's a far cry from building a gun from scratch, particularly one so similar to an inmates zip gun. I'm also fairly well aware of Florida laws; I enforced them for 13 years.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
It doesn't matter if it is crude. If it is legal in it's specs (legal barrel length, etc) and you are not a prohibited person, you can build your own firearm. I've looked and there doesn't doesn't seem to be law preventing you from doing so in Florida and 80% sellers operate there. You really should ask a lawyer or a local ATF agent about it. You just can't build a prohibited weapon type.

Last edited:

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
pretty pointless argument on a British bushcraft forum ;)

Yeah it is.

Ironically, though, some of our best inspiration on homemade guns and ammo comes from a British guy named Philip Luty.

Luty, God rest his soul, was brilliant.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you are an ex-cop, you should know that the local ATF office will know what local FL law is in this subject.

13 years as a cop. We never called them or any other federal agency for anything other than a records check. They called us if they needed help (meaning they wanted us in on an arrest for the publicity)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
13 years as a cop. We never called them or any other federal agency for anything other than a records check. They called us if they needed help (meaning they wanted us in on an arrest for the publicity)

That doesn't mean they wouldn't know. Call the state AG's office. FL has a couple of weird laws, but they are not that restrictive.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That doesn't mean they wouldn't know. Call the state AG's office. FL has a couple of weird laws, but they are not that restrictive.

You're right about evaluation of Fl laws. Some are a bit weird but not particularly restrictive; apart from being on the wrong side of the open carry issue. Generally I'm quite satisfied living here.

As for the State's Attorney's office, we dealt with them on a regular basis.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not two man served or garnets for ammunition yet but here is a bit from Wiki about recent matchlock use

Tibetan nomad fighters used
arquebuses for warfare during the Chinese invasion of Tibet as late as the second half of the 20th century. Tibetan nomads still use matchlock rifles to hunt wolves and other predatory animals. These matchlock arquebuses typically feature a long, sharpened retractable forked stand and are part of Tibetan traditional Nomad regalia. Some of these arquebuses are engraved with silver and gold inlays and/or have damascened barrels. Early 20th century explorer Sven Hedinalso encountered Tibetan tribesmen on horseback armed with matchlock rifles along the Tibetan border with Xinjiang.

330px-Tibetan_Soldier_at_Target_Practise.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not two man served or garnets for ammunition yet but here is a bit from Wiki about recent matchlock use

Tibetan nomad fighters used
arquebuses for warfare during the Chinese invasion of Tibet as late as the second half of the 20th century. Tibetan nomads still use matchlock rifles to hunt wolves and other predatory animals. These matchlock arquebuses typically feature a long, sharpened retractable forked stand and are part of Tibetan traditional Nomad regalia. Some of these arquebuses are engraved with silver and gold inlays and/or have damascened barrels. Early 20th century explorer Sven Hedinalso encountered Tibetan tribesmen on horseback armed with matchlock rifles along the Tibetan border with Xinjiang.

330px-Tibetan_Soldier_at_Target_Practise.jpg

I like this. Realistically a small group of experienced and like minded people working together multiplies your odds in a long term situation more than any equipment could. Most of the time anyway. The inclusion of the word "wilderness" in the title of the thread probably precludes a stationary village (which would be the ideal) but a small nomadic tribe probably still fits.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Something that helps out the nomads is that the local manufacture of gunpowder for ceremonial use is very common in the region, including India. So, getting hold of power is probably not that big of a supply issue. Rural people in India have access to muzzleloaders, some from the looks of it from professionally made kits or made by a real gunsmith. Occasionally they will even use them to get rid of a bothersome tiger in the area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE