the 69 million dollar question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No we mean biscuits but then we speak English not Americane ;)

I remember how when I was there, you called catsup "tomato sause." When I asked, "Well what do you call ordinary tomato sause then?" nobody had an aswer.

So I'll ask the same thing about biscuits then. If you call (what we call) crackers "buscuits" then what do you call real biscuits?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I remember how when I was there, you called catsup "tomato sause." When I asked, "Well what do you call ordinary tomato sause then?" nobody had an aswer.

So I'll ask the same thing about biscuits then. If you call (what we call) crackers "buscuits" then what do you call real biscuits?

Don't think we have american 'biscuits' here.
We do however have growlers, black pudding and bangers n mash.

sent from my brain using my fingers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We don't - we don't eat them (much like you don't eat Yorkshire pudding)

Actually you're wrong on both points red.

1) We DO eat Yorkshire pudding
2) You DO eat them; think of Irish Soda Bread. The difference is that we make it in individual serving size rather than a common loaf (hence the ability to split them and stuff with butter and jams or place on a plate and smother with SOS)

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Tomato Sauce == Tomato Ketchup== Red sauce all go on chips (fries)

Tomato puree and Tomato passata are for cooking with
Biscuits encompasses cookies. Crackers are savoury or dual purpose to have an accompaniment (such as cheese, or lemon curd).

As for your biscuits - sounds like your talking about scones to me.

Reactions: santaman2000

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Viscount biscuits.

mviscount1.jpg

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=30

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tomato Sauce == Tomato Ketchup== Red sauce all go on chips (fries)

Tomato puree and Tomato passata are for cooking with
Biscuits encompasses cookies. Crackers are savoury or dual purpose to have an accompaniment (such as cheese, or lemon curd).

As for your biscuits - sounds like your talking about scones to me.

Yes but you still haven't said what you cal ordinary tomato sause (sause made by cooking down tomatoes into a proper sause WITHOUT adding anything other than a small amount of salt) You know? The stuff you buy in a can? And if you call what we call "tomato sauce" puree, then what do you call proper puree?

As far the scones, yes they're similar but not exact. They're just a simple quickbread (soda bread)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually you're wrong on both points red.

1) We DO eat Yorkshire pudding
2) You DO eat them; think of Irish Soda Bread. The difference is that we make it in individual serving size rather than a common loaf (hence the ability to split them and stuff with butter and jams or place on a plate and smother with SOS)

Strange - I've never yet met an AMerican who eats roast beef and Yorkshire pudding - or an Irishman put gravy on soda bread!

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Always make me chuckle that, Is it a yorkshire thing?, I do hear and use that name for pork pies but it's not as common as I thought it would be?

Don't think it's all that common, I've never heard of them being called growlers. Perhaps it's more a local thing, like what I call a breadcake someone from Leeds would call a teacake (they'd be wrong of course ;)).

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. My wifes home baked chocolate chip cookies are BOSS :) come to think of it, pretty much anything she bakes is good. Maybe that's why I'm called Fat Rog and not just Rog :rolleyes:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yes but you still haven't said what you cal ordinary tomato sause (sause made by cooking down tomatoes into a proper sause WITHOUT adding anything other than a small amount of salt) You know? The stuff you buy in a can? And if you call what we call "tomato sauce" puree, then what do you call proper puree?....

I'd call that a stage in the recipe to be honest, "reduced tomatoes" maybe. boiled tomatoes are not a sauce, they're just called "tomatoes" :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never seen it in the shops - you'd use passata - or a pasta sauce.

But the pasta sauces have other ingredients added and are't especially good for much else (such as making meatloaf or tomato gravy, or soups, etc. Maybe it is the "passata." That's something I've never heard of. Is it like a sauce ? Or is it like a tomato paste?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But the pasta sauces have other ingredients added and are't especially good for much else (such as making meatloaf or tomato gravy, or soups, etc. Maybe it is the "passata." That's something I've never heard of. Is it like a sauce ? Or is it like a tomato paste?

passata is raw liquidised tomatoes. We don't tend to get/need/use tinned cooked tomatoes over here (you simply cook the passata)

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd call that a stage in the recipe to be honest, "reduced tomatoes" maybe. boiled tomatoes are not a sauce, they're just called "tomatoes" :)

Not the same thing. A proper can of tomato "sauce" is a product that's been cooked down (and possibly straines as it has NO solids) into the viscosity of a sauce. And yes, it is used for cooking and not consumed as a condiment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE