the 69 million dollar question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....tomato "sauce" is a product that's been cooked down (and possibly straines as it has NO solids) into the viscosity of a sauce.....

Still describing a stage in a recipe to me, maybe "(possibly) strained, reduced tomatoes" would be more fitting?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Still describing a stage in a recipe to me, maybe "(possibly) strained, reduced tomatoes" would be more fitting?

Well Yes, as I said, it's used for cooking rather than eaten as is. Therefore you're right, it IS a stage in a recpe. But that's a stage that's readily available already canned rather than having to peel, cook and reduce several pounds of tomatoes to get the amount of sauce in one 16 ounce can (it would take about 8-10 pounds of tomatoes) But the factr remains, that particular "stage" is indeed just a sauce (a tomato sauce)

In fact that's why the confusion over calling catsup "tomato sauce." Tomato sauce is just one INGREDIENT in catsup.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As far the scones, yes they're similar but not exact. They're just a simple quickbread (soda bread)

Muffins
english-muffins.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well Yes, as I said, it's used for cooking rather than eaten as is. Therefore you're right, it IS a stage in a recpe. But that's a stage that's readily available already canned rather than having to peel, cook and reduce several pounds of tomatoes to get the amount of sauce in one 16 ounce can (it would take about 8-10 pounds of tomatoes) But the factr remains, that particular "stage" is indeed just a sauce (a tomato sauce)

It simply isn't sold over here - we open a tin of raw tomatoes or a jar of passata and we cook it ourselves. Or you grab a tube of tomato puree and add liquid to it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
maybe there's a niche in the market - you've spotted an opportunity. You could become the cooked tomato guy!

LOL. You might be right. But only IF some celebrity chef will use it on tv in a recipe. Do you have many Mexican retaurants or Italian restaurants now? Neither was particularly common when I was stationed there. And they would definitely use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE