The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Rescued bumble number 5 this afternoon. We thought there was one more, but couldn't find it, untill it collaped on the floor this afternoon . So honey with lukewarm water was administerd as it was very dehydrated , and once revived enough to fly, was encouraged outside.
It was quite amazing watching its wings plump up again as it drank the honey water.
My friends grandchildren who were visiting were fascinated with the whole process of bee revival, and all three now know how to revive an exhausted bee.
Have also managed to rescue her slightly rusted le cruset kettle with lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda, and been given some nice thick velvety curtains I'd always admired, that she didn't want anymore, as she is having new ones, for my bedroom, as a thank you.
So five bumble bees and an expensive kettle rescued this week so far.. and it's only Wednesday. :)

Reactions: Toddy and Kadushu

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
So, we (wife and I) had an unscheduled day off yesterday, decided we'd hop over to Cornwall and do some walking on the coast path.
Quite a coll breeze, but a lovely sunny day.
My wife saw a slow worm
we saw lots of deer very close,
I think I saw the bum end of an adder... a dusty brown coloured tail "snaked" its way into the undergrowth up the hill from me so I didn't see markings, I'd say it was at least an inch thick and probably 6 inches of tail disappeared into the thicket - made me a little more conscious of doggo and her movements.
Saw some squirrels which were having a good time teasing the doggo.
Lots of lovely big bumble bees.
Heard a wren yelling it's little head off.
Heard a bird of prey (Eagle?).
Saw lots of birds in general, Robins, birds of prey.
Also found an old glass bottle W.Dubbins mineral water Devonport, intact with the glass marble still inside. I was quite pleased with myself finding that treasure!
Stopped and had a lovely picnic, tea, coffee, cake, snacks, before heading home! Lovely day.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Just been out to check on the bees. The girls have been busy bringing in pollen (= they’ve got brood in there) for weeks, so I wanted to make sure they had enough food and space too. Everything looking good so far. (puh!) Now I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that they’ll make it through to May.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Another new garden bed completed, and one started this afternoon. I had help as I'd worn out my back trying to get all the bramble and nettle and bamboo roots out.
Foxgloves planted , and other wild plants ready to go in. Honeysuckle is planted too against the fence where I had my next door neighbours bamboo problem. (2 yrs to sort it!)
I'm waiting for the mullion to get big enough to transplant. I'm very excited to have flowers in my garden this year, though I'm trying to keep it to a natural theme. Hopefully it will bring in more bees this year
The damson tree is in full bloom and looking fantastic covered in its snowy white blossom.
Sunshine all day, and tea in the garden this evening, with proper bone China, lemon cake, chocolate biccys and a teapot!
And I hear the ice cream van!!!!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Haha sorry, my bird identification skills are not grand, I would use the term eagle/buzzard somewhat interchangeably but I acknowledge incorrectly.
I did a quick youtube "buzzard call" video and yes, it was a buzzard!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’m resurrecting this thread because we need to find joy in life!

I’ve just shot 72 arrows; my grouping is improving but my score isn’t!

I’m sitting, looking out over a sunny Shropshire plain from the Welsh hills enjoying a nice cup of coffee; the birds are singing, there’s not another sound. The world (this part of it) is at peace.

I’m not ignoring my problems, or the world state; I’m just taking a break from it.

Shropshire Plain - 2023-09-06 15.48.09.jpg

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Good call!
Since I have the day off I decided to go out early for a walk before the uncivilised heat built up.
And what a lovely walk with some truly inspiring wildlife on display. Spider webs everywhere.
At one point I was looking at a large spider and then, all of a sudden, a hornet came in, grabbed the spider, and flew off with it!
But you know the best thing?
I have in my car a tin of those travel sweets you find at the petrol station. Cola flavoured boiled sweets. And it was bloody lovely driving down the country lane, listening to Radio 3, hand flapping outside in the breeze, and sucking on a boiled sweet or two (but more like three or four). Simple pleasures.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Every day, I try to find some time to be out in nature alone.
This morning I sewed my wood buttons onto cards ready to sell.
I have about 50 left to card up.
I have processed about half the huge dried lavender bundle that has been drying on the living room floor.
I've been out on a bimble for a paddle in the river, and to collect elderberries, blackberries, and a few hazel nuts.
On the way to the river, walking past the pub that has just changed ownership and is being refurbished, I snagged myself a bookcase that needs minor repair ( they were throwing it out.)
So a pretty productive day.

I'm now sitting in the garden, sipping a well earned cuppa, and trying to paint flowers with watercolours that I've treated myself to earlier this week to make some birthday cards.
When it's cooler this evening, I will finish excavating the buried builders bag in my new veg bed. Or maybe i might just leave it untill tomorrow. I'm feeling a bit lazy and it's too hot right now.
I've just realised, even when I'm relaxing, I'm always making something. !

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
...and trying to paint flowers with watercolours...

Oh, that's interesting.
I like to do a bit of painting as well. I'm not that good at it, but I enjoy it. My preference is for pen sketching (sketching with a pen rather than sketching pictures of pens).
There's a photography thread, but a painting and drawing one would be nice as well.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh, that's interesting.
I like to do a bit of painting as well. I'm not that good at it, but I enjoy it. My preference is for pen sketching (sketching with a pen rather than sketching pictures of pens).
There's a photography thread, but a painting and drawing one would be nice as well.

I've just started to dabble this week. I'm not very good either... for sure!
I'm trying to make myself slow down a bit. I try to do too much all the time, and the fibromyalgia doesn't like it!!!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've just started to dabble this week. I'm not very good either... for sure!
I'm trying to make myself slow down a bit. I try to do too much all the time, and the fibromyalgia doesn't like it!!!
I've started with watercolours recently. Hoping to improve my sketching and line and wash abilities a bit while I'm having to take it slow.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On Sunday, on the way home from a Bushcraft weekend in South Pembs, I was driven into by a stupid female tourist who did not indicate as we both looked to be going straight across a cross road junction - then she turned right into me. She lost her headlight cluster and the wheel arch and drivers door on mine was pushed in - and although the door closed and locked there was a finger wide gap at the top of the door and the door caught on the wing panel as it opened (making a racket!)
We decided to knock for knock as I was sure mine would be scrapped by the insurance co. She felt the cost of the paper work was not worth it...
I took my car to my local "man" (works at the local scrappy and is a genius mechanic) who - using no more than body weight, a claw-hammer and a block of wood - bent the door back to fit with a rain proof seal and avoided the rubbing of door/panel. It will never be a proper "perfect" looking door but it works and on a 15 year old car of "stale urine" colour - who cares!
A new door would have cost a minimum of £250 - my "man" would not take a penny for the 20 mins the job took :)
I am asking him to find me some roof bars - and I will add a few £s to the bill and get him some beers in :)
Better than looking for a new car... :D

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My chainsaw trousers still fit me after 23 yrs sat in a drawer.!
Amazing as I've gone up a size in that time, but, I did used to wear them over my jeans... that's not possible now, but I can still get them on, and they're not too tight to work in.
I was thinking I might have to buy new ones.
My chainsaw boots were like rocks, but an afternoon showing them some tlc with leather conditioner and new laces, they are fit to go.
Helmet needs a new chinstrap as the elastic has perished a bit, but all in all, my old kit is fit to go.
I have 3 massive oak branches that came down in the storm, which a friend and I rescued before the council got them, to turn into firewood.
Now, awaiting a chainsaw loan to turn up at the weekend.
Bruuum bruuum..... Happy days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE