Tesco - idiots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I bought a mosquito net with a sewn in groundsheet from Tesco. Great, I thought. Just what I need for my tipi. Got it home, took it out, unrolled it. Guess what, contrary to the description and the picture on the label, no groundsheet - just a fabric hem like a gutter maybe three inches deep.
Either they've just forgotten to sew one into mine, or they are deliberately selling stuff that doesn't meet the description.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
We bought a Kung Fu Panda DVD at the weekend from Tesco for £4, without reading the smallprint on the back, we thought it was the sequel, turns out it is only 24 minutes long. Life can be full of disapoinments sometimes. Glyn.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
We bought a Kung Fu Panda DVD at the weekend from Tesco for £4, without reading the smallprint on the back, we thought it was the sequel, turns out it is only 24 minutes long. Life can be full of disapoinments sometimes. Glyn.

sequel just about to be released at the cinema...in case your still interested :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, I did that the other day with battle los angeles, I got battle of los angeles and it's so good i've tried to finish it twice and still not...:D

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i hate tesco, i hate the fact that they no longer sell normal concentrate squash and enforce me to buy double strength, which after my whole life using the normal stuff cannot for the life of me get the mix right. also if i do want normal stuff i have to buy 1 of 3, yes 3 flavours of robinsons. i also hate that 6 tesco value penguin knock-offs is 68p, yet 12 of their next range up in quality is £1.14, so where is the value in that? i also hate that at xmas, they only stock 1 type of xmas tree star, or one type of xmas tree fairy, i promptly announced very loudly in the xmas isle that the red's had arrived disguised as a large corporate supermarket and were forcing us to convert to their regime! how is it that they only stock 1 type of star? the thing was about the size of a dustbin lid, my poor little tree would have looked rediculous bowing its head under the weight of it's communist oppressors!

i honestly think in 20 years time europe will be renamed 'republic of tesco' or ROT, which seems apt!

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i hate tesco, i hate the fact that they no longer sell normal concentrate squash and enforce me to buy double strength, which after my whole life using the normal stuff cannot for the life of me get the mix right. also if i do want normal stuff i have to buy 1 of 3, yes 3 flavours of robinsons. i also hate that 6 tesco value penguin knock-offs is 68p, yet 12 of their next range up in quality is £1.14, so where is the value in that? i also hate that at xmas, they only stock 1 type of xmas tree star, or one type of xmas tree fairy, i promptly announced very loudly in the xmas isle that the red's had arrived disguised as a large corporate supermarket and were forcing us to convert to their regime! how is it that they only stock 1 type of star? the thing was about the size of a dustbin lid, my poor little tree would have looked rediculous bowing its head under the weight of it's communist oppressors!

i honestly think in 20 years time europe will be renamed 'republic of tesco' or ROT, which seems apt!

I think you are allowed to shop elsewhere. :p Over the last year we've had aout £200's worth of stuff from doubling up on voucher points... works for me!

Love it. :)

Recently I have been looking at the price per g/l on the labels and I am always amazed when they have say 200ml plus 200 extra free bottle of something at £2.99, then they have the 400ml one at £3.50. It was the same with twixes when I went into Morrisons, they had a 9 pack for 99p (or whatever the price was) then they had a 16 pack for £1.95, logic dictates you then buy two of the cheaper ones if you want that many instead of the more expensive pack. Anyway rant over. :p

I always have a look at the limited camping supplies they have in Tesco and the weekened was the first time I bought something from that section, florescent guy ropes for the tarp. Saves people like Chaz tripping over them and losing my peg. :p

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
On a more serious note, supermarkets pay their suppliers (farmers or primary producers) on terms between 30 days and 3 months. When they sell the product to the customer they get their money either imeadiatley if its cash or within 2-3 days on card purchases. Even if they sold every item in the store at cost they would still make millions on the intrest alone. I know that there is alot more to this, and I am cynically over simplifying, but it makes you think. I don't mind them making a profit, after all, we are all free to grow our own veg, raise a house cow and make a dvd player out of hazel twigs if we want to but they should treat their suppliers better. Glyn.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
On a more serious note, supermarkets pay their suppliers (farmers or primary producers) on terms between 30 days and 3 months. When they sell the product to the customer they get their money either imeadiatley if its cash or within 2-3 days on card purchases. Even if they sold every item in the store at cost they would still make millions on the intrest alone. I know that there is alot more to this, and I am cynically over simplifying, but it makes you think. I don't mind them making a profit, after all, we are all free to grow our own veg, raise a house cow and make a dvd player out of hazel twigs if we want to but they should treat their suppliers better. Glyn.

Whilst there's a supplier that's willing to undercut another/agree to these terms this will always be the case, unfortunately the alternative is a monopoly, an organised group of suppliers controlling the prices.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I refuse point blank to shop at Tesco unless I have no other option

Do you shop at independents, Grocers, Butchers etc? Or another supermarket. I'd love to exclude Tesco's from the mix but work/life balance and budget means I have little choice if I want time to spend with my family and the means to have a little fun. I have toyed with Aldi, but the lack of choice is the main thing that puts me off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE