Tesco - idiots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I shop at Aldi, and save around about £30 a week over what i'd buy in Tesco (weekly shop was £83 at tesco is now £57. Tesco's basic bread is more expensive than Aldi's standard white.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Do you shop at independents, Grocers, Butchers etc? Or another supermarket. I'd love to exclude Tesco's from the mix but work/life balance and budget means I have little choice if I want time to spend with my family and the means to have a little fun. I have toyed with Aldi, but the lack of choice is the main thing that puts me off.

We're somewhat stuck for choice where we live in terms of independents and also in time available to go shopping, but I would shop there out of choice. My first preference would be to buy local where possible, and then products that are produced by more sustainable methods. That being the case, we choose to spend more of our income by buying through Waitrose, as I support their values, ethics and farming principles (many of their fresh veggies are LEAF certified (linking environment and farming)).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We're somewhat stuck for choice where we live in terms of independents and also in time available to go shopping, but I would shop there out of choice. My first preference would be to buy local where possible, and then products that are produced by more sustainable methods. That being the case, we choose to spend more of our income by buying through Waitrose, as I support their values, ethics and farming principles (many of their fresh veggies are LEAF certified (linking environment and farming)).

If we had a bigger Coop near us I'd probably opt for them for similar reasons. Although when we shop in tesco we do buy british meats, cheeses - red tractor labled produce etc.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Whilst there's a supplier that's willing to undercut another/agree to these terms this will always be the case, unfortunately the alternative is a monopoly, an organised group of suppliers controlling the prices.

Totally agree, and the way to beat an organised group of suppliers is an organised group of buyers so you end up with cartels on both side which doesn't work either.

Its a no win situation and the best anyone can hope for is to just tick over and run with it.

I have had my share of dealing with big buyers in the venison industry, the buyers know that you have to cull the deer anyway and that once they are dead you have a limited time to sell them. These days, I would rather work harder and sell locally to several different outlets, often at a lower price per kilo, than put all my eggs in one basket with a major dealer.

Like i've said before, I don't deny the supermarkets their profits, and I shop at Tesco just like the next man, but I cringe when I see the adverts that suggest that they are the UK farmers best buddies, if that were the case then they wouldn't sell Danish bacon, NZ lamb and Israli spuds, they would only stock produce from British farms and if that produce wasn't avilable due to supply or seasonal variation then the house wife would have to do without until it was. Again, totally unrealistic as she would just go to the next supermarket that did stock it and never come back. Glyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE