Tent wanted, two person, but comfy and spacious?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi all

I have a nice lightweight two man tent for back/bike packing but I am now after something a bit more spacious. I want something that I can stay in for a week that will be comfortable, with room enough for two people and big enough to sit inside on a deck chair and read a book for example.

Weight is not an issue as it will be travelling with me in the car. I am spending a week in Snowdonia next month, the last time I went to Wales my nasty borrowed tent was destroyed in a storm in the middle of June, so strength is important!

Budget, £150-200, doable?

Thanks in advance.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hmm..that is a very tempting and attractive tent Puddock (I'm liking the price reduction too!), however, this looks about the size that I am after. I am willing to pay that little bit extra for something that will take more of a beating from the weather.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Many folks get on with Vango tents but I IMHO have had some poor experiences - including poles breaking / bending and spending all night holding the thing up. Their customer service was truly appalling as well when I tried to complain. The glory days of Vango Force 10 are a long way in the past with different ownership. I think their tents have great show-room appeal but when put under pressure come up wanting - and you mention you want it to perform in a storm. With due respect to the previous poster, for undemanding usage they are good value if that is what you are after.

As an alternative, I recently picked up an excellent quality Terra Nova Terra Firma on this forum second hand for £250. A second hand Terra Nova or Hilleberg will not let you down.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Vango Peace 500

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tent-5-Man-Te...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item53e788aae8

VangoPeace500.jpg

P500tarp.jpg

If you wanted to use a tarp as a porch area as I did in the pic, I'd suggest upgrading the pole a bit.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Looks like I'm a bit late on this thread but for extra living space with a tent, with little cost and even less weight, a tarp makes good sense.

Years ago I bought a tiny one-man tent (Aztec Rapido). I only used it once, then put it in storage for ages mainly because it was too small for all my gear when biking, and with me being a sweaty sleeper and the tent being single skin, the condensation was a problem. Sleeping with the door open in the rain wasn't an option as with it being a very minimal tent there's no porch.

I've now taken to using it with a tarp and groundsheet, see Martin's post, his fifth photo. With the tarp I can leave the door completely open so the condensation problem is eliminated. There's ample room for my gear and I can cook under the tarp with the little Optimus if I need to. It's early days with the setup but I'm very happy with it as it is for the bike. I'll leave out the heavy groundsheet (a cast-off from a local Scout hut) if I go backpacking but on the bike it's no problem. The tarp and tent together weigh about 2.5kg, that's lighter than all but one of my two-man tents. They give me much more flexibility and much more space than a tent alone. The low profile tent shape nestles just right in a simple lean-to tarp arrangement as you can see in the photo.

I'll be using this setup a lot more this year. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE